Wifi Mint 18

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

Wifi Mint 18

Post by sdcougar »

I've been using 17.2 Cinnamon on my pc which just gave up the hardware ghost. Loved it.
I have a 'new' laptop bought on clearance some time ago -- Lenova G50. While my pc was still working downloaded 64 bit mint 18 and installed on that laptop but no wifi connecttion (and no ethernet cable plugin)

Right now I am on an IBM T60p with windows 7. When I use the live 32 bit Mint 17.2 CD on this it automatically found my wifi (and everybody else on the block) [but now I am having problems with the live cd ...I think it said reading error...] The new laptop with Mint 18 shows nothing.

When I go to 'add' connection. It shows blank lines for SSID and some other stuff. All I know about my netgear wifi is the password.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lenovo G50 AMD A8 Mint 19.2 64 bit Cinnamon
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Wifi Mint 18

Post by sdcougar »

My first question (I forgot) is can I solve the problem by going back to Mint 17 version?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Is anything showing in the driver manager? I've installed Mint in more than one Thinkpad where I needed to activate a driver that was suggested there, before the wifi would work.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
songhuijohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by songhuijohn »

I have no experience with the problem but from what I have been able to gather on the web the Lenovo G50 contains a Braodcom BCM43142 wifi adapter and I found the following web site that my contain the answer to your problem :
http://tuxthink.blogspot.com/2013/11/in ... eless.html

Hope this helps you solve your problem.
Last edited by songhuijohn on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon, Mobo MSI A68HM Grenade, AMD A8-7600, 4GIG DDR3 1600, SSD Patriot Blast 120 GB
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

On the problem computer in terminal enter

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
Post results
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdcougar »

CODE: SELECT ALL
lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

Do I type in ...select all ,use enter to go to the next line before entering lspci etc?

The vertical line...? between the two items in second line...?enter and go to next line and then type last half?

[this laptop i'm using may freeze up (iwndows) and I might have trouble getting back soon.]

And obviously, I can't download drivers.
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdcougar »

I did go to terminal and typed
sudo apt-get install wireless-bcm43142-dkms

when I hit enter it asks for password. flashing white box...won't let me type anyting....white box quit flashing but still cannot type anything keep trying to place cursor there but nothing.
songhuijohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by songhuijohn »

Just type in your password ( nothing will appear on the screen as you type in your password) and then hit enter.
This is the normal process when using the sudo command.
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon, Mobo MSI A68HM Grenade, AMD A8-7600, 4GIG DDR3 1600, SSD Patriot Blast 120 GB
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdcougar »

Moem wrote:Is anything showing in the driver manager? I've installed Mint in more than one Thinkpad where I needed to activate a driver that was suggested there, before the wifi would work.
Driver manager says 'drivers cannot be installed...connect to internet'
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdcougar »

I went to terminal for system info. copy and pasted in word processor, put on stick....but it is saved as JPEG ? How do I post that here?

Pertinent info ? says: network: card -1 qualcomm Atheros QCA6164 802.11ac wireless network adapter driver:
ath10k_pci bus-ID: 01:00.0

then it goes on about ethernet controller and card 2 and card 3...?
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

You seem to be making a little head way so I am a little hesitant to butt in. Still, I have often had "NO INTERNET" after loading both Windows and Mint so hear goes. First reset both router and wireless by removing power for 20 seconds then power router till stable and then power wireless. At the panel when hovering over the wify symbol you will see the name of your wireless if you are connected to it. When you finally have internet access, the words "internet access" will not be seen there. Just the confirmation that you have a connection established between the computer and the router and what its strength is.

Sometimes routers get discombobulated and need to be reset but do it as I described. I got that from my providers tech. I just did that successfully to a Windows computer I have. I think that (no wyfi) may have happened when I tried unsuccessfully to reset the Windows os.

A thorough knowledge of your router (which I do not claim to have) is a valuable asset. For example, you can access the router with your computer simply by entering the IP address of the router. Also, there may be a hidden reset button which does a full reset. I am no technician but picked this info up along the way.
Last edited by Ozo on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Download http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/m ... 14_all.deb and put the file on a flash drive and put it in the Linux Mint machine, double click to install, then reboot
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdcougar »

JeremyB wrote:Download http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/m ... 14_all.deb and put the file on a flash drive and put it in the Linux Mint machine, double click to install, then reboot

Thank you Jeremy. Sorry to say the Package installer window says, "Status : Error, no longer provides Linux firmware"
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

If you put it on the desktop, open a terminal and enter the following

cd Desktop
sudo dpkg -i linux-firmware_1.157.14_all.deb
I don't know why it might say it no longer provides linux firmware
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Yes, I clicked on that and when attempting to open the downloaded package there was a red banner at the top with that no firmware statement. I did not proceed any further not that I intended to. I just wanted to look at it.
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdcougar »

Uncomfortable with red flags.

Just received usb/ethernet adaptor in mail, and can live with that, at least for now. Am now online with Linux.

Cannot figure out how to edit topic title to add [solved] [sort of]
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

sdcougar wrote:Uncomfortable with red flags.

Just received usb/ethernet adaptor in mail, and can live with that, at least for now. Am now online with Linux.

Cannot figure out how to edit topic title to add [solved] [sort of]
In the upper right side of your post is an edit icon which looks like a pencil.
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdcougar »

JeremyB wrote:If you put it on the desktop, open a terminal and enter the following

cd Desktop
sudo dpkg -i linux-firmware_1.157.14_all.deb
I don't know why it might say it no longer provides linux firmware

Ok, I did that. Results:

$ sudo dpkg -i linux-firmware_1.157.14_all.deb[sudo] password for mike:
(Reading database ... 197249 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack linux-firmware_1.157.14_all.deb ...
Unpacking linux-firmware (1.157.14) over (1.157.1) ...
Setting up linux-firmware (1.157.14) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-21-generic
Warning: No support for locale: en_US.utf8
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdcougar »

I am now online with ethernet.

Return to “Beginner Questions”