Replacement KDE distros... Feedback here!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Replacement KDE distros... Feedback here!

Post by BG405 »

kenj66 wrote:Again, I will ask - do you get 60 percent cpu utilization after just loading Kdenlive? Is that normal - or should I be looking for some other problems?
I launched it earlier on my D255E & there was no evidence of CPU hogging. Note that it launched with the previously open project and also that I have a load of other stuff open; the machine also hasn't been rebooted in several weeks.

Unfortunately it is also important to note that I'm running the version mentioned by Jedinovice:
Jedinovice wrote:As you note, for Mint 17/Plasma 4 the latest version of Kdenlive that can be run is actual 0.9.10 as you note but I begged the Mint team not to update the repositories because 0.9.10 has a load of nasty bugs. By the time 0.9.10 was being developed the Kdenlive team's focus was clearly Plasma 5 and formally joining up with KDE and they got sloppy on the last Plasma 4 release.
Although I haven't knowingly encountered any of these bugs myself, yet.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Jedinovice wrote:I have managed to rustle something up other than dandruff and put it in a new thread so it does not get lost in all the noise here.
Do you have the link?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

^
Good point, I forgot to ask that.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

BG405 wrote:^
Good point, I forgot to ask that.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=257962&p=1392283#p1392283
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Sorry about delay in replying to everyone. I have been dead these last couple of days. Totally exhausted by this year. Come January I am recruiting!! [And exhaustion will explain any and all typos. I am barely awake typing this.]

Anyway, back to the plot...
BG405 wrote:Indeed. I believe it stands for "KDE non-linear video editor". :wink:

Yes, yes, of course! I knew that… *cough*

Although I haven't knowingly encountered any of these bugs myself, yet.

Well, it depends on what you are doing I suppose.
I found memory leaks on complex cuts – and I do complex cuts! It was also impossible to render any long video in 0.9.10. Anything above an hour in length would crash out! It's really rare I ever have to worry about that but I was trying to repair a set of busted DVD files and 0.9.10 was incapable. I can't remember how I did it in the end. I think I gave up and came back after I rolled back to 0.9.8.

Finally, speed effect issues. If you slow a clip down anything to less than 80% the clip is lost. This was a huge pain when I was trying to render a particular AMV. I had to roll back to 0.9.8 to complete it. The video in question, which was one of the hardest for me to complete ever due to to the bugs, is here and shows how complex things get with me:

https://youtu.be/VpwTpEBFJCA
[Yeah, it's a bit trippy. There is reason.]

But, also, the Plasma 5 renderings of Kdenlive have a load of useful features for me. Early renderings definitely had memory leaks but they are solved now and the new effects and simple fixes (like changing the speed of audio when you change the video rather than cutting out – are of great benefit to me! But I do crazy stuff.)
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

kenj66 wrote:@Jedinovice
THIS is the kind of discussion I'm talkin' 'bout :D It is unfortunate that the KDE forums are so ......., um, dead, relatively speaking. Despite your hectic scheduled you have replied above and beyond my asking. Thank you!

Don't get too excited. As I was saying, I use my laptop al the time. My wife was dragging around town meeting friends, conversing in Indonesian, so I used my (t)rusty laptop to fill in time by typing. I need portability and battery life! And, as I say, even then the wife took the lighter, more up to date, longer battery life Acer ES1-132. I suffer. I really do…
Perhaps you missed checking out the AppImage release of Kdenlive. It is a newer packaging method which is self-contained and able to run despite 'some' of the dependencies I have run into.
Yeah, I understand the concept. But I don't need AppImage with Neon (or Mint 18.x for that matter.) But also, the amount of dependencies you would need to run Kdenlive in any way effectively in Mint 17.x would be… ouch. I suspect you would end up effectively running Kdenlive using 'WINE' since you would be running the plasma 5 run times on top of the Plasma 4 runs times which, in turn, explains the 60% CPU usage. I run up Kdenlive under Neon here and it ran at 1% CPU when idle. Obviously rendering is another matter, mind, but then it should be!
Have a go running Neon in a VM! Even my pathetic netbook laptop is enough to spare 1GB of RAM and some clock cycles to have a "looksee." It sound to me like your AppImage solution is not quite working. I suggest you play with Neon or some Plasma 5 distro in a VM and whenoyu are happy you can get to grips with it - just upgrade. If you really want to use Kdenlive 12/17 then I think you are on a crusin' for a brusin' using Mint 17/'Trusty.'
The reason why I call your attention again to the AppImages is, not only are they so easy to install, but there are growing numbers of applications which are being released now including one I recommend specifically to you - Shotcut, as being ideal for light-weight hardware such as the notebooks and netbooks
Well, I may take a look in time but I doubt it will be much use to me. As I said, in my use case, I push my software even though I have to use minimal hardware. So I can handle lagging. But then, I was a one time Commodore PET and Sinclair ZX81 (Timex 1000) user so I know slow!

This is my last cut and you can see how complex it is. And I have done more complex than this as well in the past:
https://youtu.be/ohR2_ttlQDs

My Hatsune Miku tribute has been on hiatus for months due to work. :( I have GOT to recruit in the New Year!

If I was really about software for netbooks I would be using LXDE! I like Kdenlive anyway. It's very much like the old Matrox Mystique system from 1998 I cut my editing teeth on. Never found a video editor that worked as intuitively and sweetly as the supplied Ulead Video editor UNTIL Kdenlive!!! I really was; "Where have you been for the last ten years?!!"
Your growing experience and glowing reviews of Neon are compelling.
Well, I wouldn't call my comments on Neon either a full review or glowing… yet. What I can say is that I had to grab something and run with it NOW!!!! and Neon was to hand and it worked and got me through the HELL of end of semester exam season when I always end up working seven days a week. That counts for a lot!

Even now, just to get three weeks to recover, I had to find someone to refer emergencies to. Neon has had glitches and I have managed to resolve them to my satisfaction but I have not gone in deep. I am not kidding when I say I am having to spend 12-18 hours a day asleep recovering from one of the hardest working years of my life. Learned a lot in the process, mind, and I have realized I am effectively running a "Education Hospital" which requires 365 days a year 'emergency care' and got to recruit accordingly.

I say, run up a VM and have a play with Neon - or Ultimate! Please note that I have only run with Neon LTS edition. I need stability. I will say that issues with missing apps and libraries in Neon are actually more to do with Ubuntu than Neon – though the Neon team insist that they are only about KDE and are not interested in maintaining or supplying non-KDE materials and that is why Neon is "not a distro" – though it clearly is. Still Ubuntu is also missing all the components of Neon except that Ubuntu comes with Libreoffice and GIMP. You still have to install 'build-essentials' in Ubuntu for instance. I would guess that Kubuntu would have the same issues.

I think you would have to go "Ultimate Ubuntu KDE edition" to resolve all that now!

And thanks to Catweazel for the link reminder.

Back to sleep. No joke.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
Retic1959

Post by Retic1959 »

I installed Manjaro KDE alongside LM 18.3 KDE last night , Manjaro is snappier than LM on my system , uses a lot less memory for reasons I can't figure out .Also I don't use a multiple monitor setup ,so no worries there . I'll migrate files at my leisure , just had spinal surgery so everything has to be at my leisure right now . I'm gonna hang on to my Mint installation until EOL though and I'll probably follow Xenopeek's instructions for installing KDE over XFCE when the time comes , mainly out of curiousity .
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

Retic1959 wrote:I installed Manjaro KDE alongside LM 18.3 KDE last night , Manjaro is snappier than LM on my system , uses a lot less memory for reasons I can't figure out .Also I don't use a multiple monitor setup ,so no worries there . I'll migrate files at my leisure , just had spinal surgery so everything has to be at my leisure right now . I'm gonna hang on to my Mint installation until EOL though and I'll probably follow Xenopeek's instructions for installing KDE over XFCE when the time comes , mainly out of curiousity .
Yeah, Manjaro KDE is continuing to delight me on both my PCs. I was scared of Manjaro a few years ago [it blew my mind as i was only used to the Mint/Ubuntu commands & sensibility back then]. However post-MintKDE i've had interludes with Maui & openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE, & i think they sufficiently expanded my horizons such that second-time-around trying Manjaro KDE, i just love it. It's so nice to have choices for us all.
Retic1959

Post by Retic1959 »

kdemeoz wrote:
Retic1959 wrote:I installed Manjaro KDE alongside LM 18.3 KDE last night , Manjaro is snappier than LM on my system , uses a lot less memory for reasons I can't figure out .Also I don't use a multiple monitor setup ,so no worries there . I'll migrate files at my leisure , just had spinal surgery so everything has to be at my leisure right now . I'm gonna hang on to my Mint installation until EOL though and I'll probably follow Xenopeek's instructions for installing KDE over XFCE when the time comes , mainly out of curiousity .
Yeah, Manjaro KDE is continuing to delight me on both my PCs. I was scared of Manjaro a few years ago [it blew my mind as i was only used to the Mint/Ubuntu commands & sensibility back then]. However post-MintKDE i've had interludes with Maui & openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE, & i think they sufficiently expanded my horizons such that second-time-around trying Manjaro KDE, i just love it. It's so nice to have choices for us all.
I definitely agree with you it's great to have so many choices , Manjaro's level of polish is very close to Mint's IMO and Timeshift takes the worry out of running a rolling release , I've been playing with Manjaro for a year so I'm comfortable making the switch now .
strohi

Post by strohi »

Think I'll try openSUSE Tumbleweed or Manjaro. I'm interested in rolling release circles.

Question:
Is it possible to download LM wallpapers somewhere without downloading the whole distro?
I really liked the look of LM KDE and would like to use LM wallpapers even in other distros. I don't want to leave KDE behind. It's wonderful and I started to love it. Also I am very pleased with its performance and stability.
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

It would seem that KDE is going to continue the Neon "project" since the announcement of the KDE Slimbook recently. This would indicate that there will be a continuing of support and updates using LTS base of Ubuntu as it has been so far.

https://dot.kde.org/2017/01/26/kde-and- ... p-kde-fans
kenj66
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kenj66 »

FWIW, reporting back here.

I am now running KDE 5.12 and, for the most part, am quite pleased with the distro. Kdenlive runs properly with all the bells and whistles and with low cpu utilization during editing. The version is 17.08.3 which is not the very latest but is stable - haven't had a crash yet. Neon gives large updates every few days. This morning was 172 files, IIRC. And all I have to do is remember to reboot afterwards - they don't remind you.

This forum is still the best, BTW. One problem I asked help for in the KDE forum didn't get a reply for four days! Reminds me of the 'bad ol' days' in unix/linux when all people said was RTFM. Except, now a days the documentation isn't as good as it was then.

So, I guess I am happy. :)

-=Ken=-
KDE Neon 5.12 AMD Ryzen 3 1200 ASRock MB 16 GB RAM
Miejer_Alied
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Miejer_Alied »

Last edited by Miejer_Alied on Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

Just added a 4th Linux partition to my multi-boot system and added the latest Kubuntu to try it out.
So far I haven't had showstopping issues and all my drivers and apps were properly installed,
nvidia card (via driver manager), huion tablet (via terminal, which I also did in Mint), apps like Gimp, Inkscape,
Blender, Krita, etc. all worked with no issues.
It's almost like I'm running Mint, and the differences are very minor, to me, at least.
Don't know what changes they did, but I think I'm going to stick with it this time.
(I still have Mint KDE in a separate partition, so I can always boot into that if something is not right...)
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

So what is the verdict in here?
What is most of you have replaced Mint's KDE with?
I have replaced it with Kubuntu in my case.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

rick gen wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:58 am So what is the verdict in here?
I replaced it with Kubuntu in my case.
KDE Neon for me. Manjaro KDE as a close second.
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

rick gen wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:58 am What is most of you have replaced Mint's KDE with?
Manjaro KDE. Tis simply brilliant. Am an extremely happy camper with it. Took a circuitous route to get here [arrived late last year]... Mint KDE --> Maui --> openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE --> KDE Neon [<1 day; it had total meltdown within an hour of me finishing hours of installation & personalised tweaking; ugh] --> Manjaro KDE.

Alternative Plasma5 distros evaluated in VMs [those above were actually installed to SSD & run as primary OS] but thereby eliminated from shortlist: KaOS, KFedora, Kubuntu, openSUSE Leap KDE.

If KDE "vanished" off the face of the earth tomorrow, i'd use Manjaro Cinnamon, however until that day, Manjaro KDE keeps me comfy & content. Mint KDE will forever retain a warm spot in my heart, but... that was then, this is now.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

kdemeoz wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:24 pm eliminated from shortlist: KaOS, KFedora, Kubuntu, openSUSE Leap KDE.
Based on my own experience, I think that's a fair assessment.
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

How does PCLOS KDE5 stack up? Anyone gave it a try?
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Retic1959

Post by Retic1959 »

rick gen wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:58 am So what is the verdict in here?
I have replaced it with Kubuntu in my case.
Manjaro KDE for me , going in to my 3rd year with various flavors of Manjaro on my hdd , 1st year as my main OS though . Couldn't be happier with it , I'll play but won't go back to a fixed release as my main again .
Last edited by Retic1959 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat about Linux”