Annoyed with FF yet?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mwbworld

Re: Annoyed with FF yet?

Post by mwbworld »

I've had no real problems with it and have been loving it. Definitely much peppier.

i don't use a ton of extensions/addons and i shifted to the new versions with version 56 so when 57 came out it was a a smooth transition.

I may be a bit complacent about browsers over the many years of using them and tend to expect to have a primary one and a backup one because there always seem to be a site or two that will work on one but not the other. Firefox still my primary and Chrome my backup.

Mind you it's always been comical at work (a windows place) where the IT department formally says use IE but many of the sites run by the company (finance, etc.) for employees to use for their work - won't run properly with it so all the employees know to run Firefox or Chrome instead (generally both just case.) :D
lisabonne citadel

Post by lisabonne citadel »

FF its still one of the biggest browsers on WebKind.

You only need to disable telemetry pings.
type on address field about:config
ON SEARCH
toolkit.telemetry.archive CHANGE to false
toolkit.telemetry.enabled CHANGE to false
toolkit.telemetry.unified CHANGE to false

telemetry collects data and sends to firefox servers for analysis statistics.

for chromium and chrome users

type this on address field
chrome://flags/#disable-hyperlink-auditing

click on disable

Backin in those days where music had magical sense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tlWAwA3-1M
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Version 57 surprised me when I first opened it, but I like it now. No problems so far. And I do like the speed.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

FF57 is the first positive change out of Mozilla since they started dicking around with the FF UI. 57 sure is faster.
I don't like Mozilla's continued practice of bundling in useless extras like Pocket. Something that should be an add-on.

While we are on the topic anyone have any idea how to permanently get rid of the web site notification alerts? I never, ever want notifications and am past sick and tired of constantly being asked to allow them.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Open about:config and search on two terms "notif" and "onboard", and it is case sensitive. You will find the ones you want to change. While at it, search also on "telemetry" and "http" and probably find some more things you want to change. If you want videos NOT to play till you actually clk on it, even those in background, set media.autoplay.enabled to false. I also killed a lot under browser.newtabpage too.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Fred Barclay wrote:
trapperjohn wrote:
(Personal note: I don't mind Mozilla analyzing some of my data --as long as I can opt-out-- so they can improve Firefox.)
this is where the wolf looks good in a sheep tuxedo :twisted: because if you think giving you the option to opt-out is as simple as you think then we are in trouble. when you opt-out it either has a specific opt-out tick or checkmark which only opt you out of something usually blocked by something like ublock giving you a false sense of security, or it installs a cookie that communicates with the website.

but if you like me and block cookies or use cookie controller using the opt-out cookie is out of the question since i delete even white listed login site cookies as a general daily cleanup

i wonder if you have to opt-out of anything with these new self driving cars. or will they forward your location data to third party metrics sellers so as to better "enhance your driving experience"

if they are not making millions (and not giving you a dime), then why have these hidden services running in the background everywhere you go?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Nope, not annoyed with Firefox. Why? I don't use it. :lol:
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

They forgot who and what mostly made them popular during past 10 years. It was not square borders and refresh button at left side.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

So, I've gotten more used to it and, since noscript is now available, I use it more often now.

Because FF 57 did not have a working noscript at the time it was released, I experimented with the Iridium browser and I like it quite well. As for telemetry/snooping, Iridium defaults to opt-out and I like that. I am stoggy and I prefer programs that - out of the box - do not inintiate background communications silently and, if you wireshark when FF is started with a blank page, you will see that FF does not respect that. Perhaps the Mozilla developers could add a preference for disabling the background chatty cathy stuff and have it be checked at installation (just to make transparency kooks like me shut up). As for hacking off the hidden chat, been there - done that - day one - 'nuff said.

Whatever, it's just my preference I guess.

If you like to try out new alternatives, try out Iridium... and give duckduckgo a go too.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

if you wireshark when FF is started with a blank page, you will see that FF does not respect that.
thank you. I'd suspected that, but didn't know for sure. That's why I searched all http connects in about:config and zeroed/blanked the ones I didn't want and removed telemetry and onboard entries.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

https://itsfoss.com/firefox-looking-glass-controversy/
+
https://wccftech.com/firefox-damaged-us ... -mr-robot/
trapperjohn wrote:Ah progress... or is it?

Fire up wireshark and then start the latest Firefox. Chatty isn't it?
"Annoyed with FF yet?" :wink:
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Probably they thinks: "Actually 98% of FF users do not even knows what is add-ons and where to look for. So all of them will never notice those "Looking Glass" and alike."
Congradulations, Mozilla! Your end is getting closer and closer.
http://gs.statcounter.com/browser-marke ... /worldwide
Last edited by BigEasy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Probably they thinks: "Actually 98% of FF users do not even knows what is add-ons and where to look for. So all of them will never notice those "Looking Glass" and alike."
Congratulations, Mozilla! Your end is getting closer and closer.
...indeed, but i'm pretty certain they will notice the Mozilla-sponsored Mr.Robot ads :lol:

Their policies have certainly gone downhill in the last couple of years...
When people have to resort to using extra tweaks to maintain their privacy when using FF, you know that something is rotten in the state of Denmark...
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Dave Hyatt and Blake Ross who founded Firefox are now gone. RecentlyBrendan Eich was let go from Mozilla, the company he co-founded, due to pressures from the "gay gang" in California politics. He's now running Brave Software and working on the new Brave Browser. So, now it's a crapshoot on who's really running the show at Mozilla and Firefox anymore.

Mr. Robot & Looking Glass add-on.

I believe if Brendan Eich was still running the show there, this would never have happened.

The Mr. Robot series.
The series follows Elliot Alderson, a young man living in New York City, who works at the cyber security company Allsafe as a security engineer. Constantly struggling with social anxiety disorder, dissociative identity disorder and clinical depression, Elliot's thought process seems heavily influenced by paranoia and delusion.[11] He connects to people by hacking them, which often leads him to act as a cyber-vigilante. He is recruited by a mysterious insurrectionary anarchist known as Mr. Robot and joins his team of hacktivists known as fsociety.
Is this REALLY something worth promoting to all Firefox users?!! While also spying on them?!!! Search those http places and telemetry and "onboard" settings in about:config and deal with them as needed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Nobody can shoot down a software as well as the own developers / representatives can do. Netscape (the origin of Mozilla) did that and they (partially the same people like chairwoman Baker) are doing it again. Even some of the FF developers are upset.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Actually, since Quantum came out, I'm pretty much back to using it full-time, except for certain Google account-related stuff, like uploading music to my Play account.

EDIT: Just d/l'ing Iridium now. I'll play with it a bit and see how I like it.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...just stumbled upon:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... e/drch14y/

Those ones indeed used to be located under profile folder, hence someone could easily find & remove the telemetry-friendly .xpi extensions... :?
Oh well...
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

"Looking Glass" is a good illustration of a mythical advantage of open source. Well, source is open but nobody look inside to discover such security hole. Yes, it is security hole, not just ad.
UPD: Finally Mozilla reaction: https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/update ... glass-add/
I still don't know I should laugh or should cry.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Been checking for this "Looking Glass" since all the posted started last week. So far on all 3 installs, no "Looking Glass".

Must have something to do with the settings. Guess I am not missing anything.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

sammiev wrote:Been checking for this "Looking Glass" since all the posted started last week. So far on all 3 installs, no "Looking Glass".

Must have something to do with the settings. Guess I am not missing anything.
It was there for a short time. Then, following the outrage, they yanked it. Now, you can install it just like you'd install any other available extension.

And while you may feel you haven't missed anything, you did miss the experience of having an organization you trusted yank your chain!

Return to “Chat about Linux”