SOLVED - LibraOffice Writer - how the heck to get it to do what I want (text boxes)?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
buzzears
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED - LibraOffice Writer - how the heck to get it to do what I want (text boxes)?

Post by buzzears » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:11 am

Hello and Happy Holidays

I am tearing my hair out - what I thought would be a quick job is turning into a time-waster! Word was user-friendly - I could create text boxes, they would automatically adhere to the page etc. With Linux, I create a text box and then it disappears! What the heck?! I want to create a text box, place it where I like by dragging it (which Linux also seems unable to do), and then add a table or columns inside, type etc. So simple, but with Linux it's impossible to know what to do, aka, NOT user-friendly!

Can anyone tell me how to figure out how it all works in Linux without having to refer to several pages of instructions??? If at all possible???

Many thanks.
Last edited by buzzears on Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: LibraOffice Writer - how the heck to get it to do what I want (text boxes)?

Post by Moem » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:55 am

Whoa. I'd try to help but you're so worked up that I don't feel up for it... you might bite my head off. You' ve already decided that just because you're not familiar, it has to be difficult and now all of the OS, or even a whole family of OSses, is user-unfriendly.

If you're trying to DuckDuckGo (or other search) for a tutorial, try using correct spelling... it's called LibreOffice. Good luck!
*runs away*

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

WiltshireJon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WiltshireJon » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:05 am

I'll risk it...

On the menu, Insert>>Text box. Drag anywhere to draw the box and immediately start typing (or as you noticed it will vanish). Click the box border and the menu bar changes so you can select some formatting options. Right click in the box for other formatting options.

Whatever LibreOffice faults may be, at least it doesn't have the appalling ribbon.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:10 am

*sneaks up, without making a sound*
Try using a frame instead of a text box. Frames allow inserting tables inside of them.
*runs away again*

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

thx-1138
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thx-1138 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:13 pm

:D :wink:
Attachments
21pghg.jpg
21pghg.jpg (14.82 KiB) Viewed 309 times

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:41 pm

This doesn't happen very often. I think I can add to a thread.
I was intrigued enough to open LibreOffice, and add a text box to a document. Typed in it and when I clicked outside the box it disappeared.
Click inside where the box was and it was still there. When inside the text box a second menu bar opened, where line style was set to none. Choosing a line put a border on the box so I could see where it was.
Is this what the OP is looking for?
Go Steady, but keep going

davidmedin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by davidmedin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:11 pm

WiltshireJon wrote:I'll risk it...

Whatever LibreOffice faults may be, at least it doesn't have the appalling ribbon.

The most difficult thing for me is going back to the old menu system after using the ribbon for years. Can't find anything! :lol:

buzzears
Level 1
Level 1

Post by buzzears » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Thank you very much WiltshireJon - a nice, quick, clear answer, and it worked perfectly. Now I know.

Moem - Thanks for risking a reply! I discovered the Frame soon after posting my quezzie and I've been using those, and yes, adding tables into them, so they're better than text boxes for what I am doing.

Moem - I understand you might not have liked the way I posted my original question. Indeed, i was quite irate in the heat of the moment and felt like throwing my laptop through a closed window (and not just because of Linux Mint). However, your mind-reading was unnecessary to write up in the way you did, as well as inaccurate:
"You' ve already decided that just because you're not familiar, it has to be difficult and now all of the OS, or even a whole family of OSses, is user-unfriendly."

I know it's challenging to stop with distorted thinking (and I mean, I really do know), especially when we're not even aware we're doing it, but it's worth trying to stop mind-reading people, or distorting what someone writes, because nobody likes it and most times we're wrong anyway.

Thank you again for all your help everybody.

Return to “Newbie Questions”