<SOLVED> b43 driver installation issue.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Scottjo64
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> b43 driver installation issue.

Post by Scottjo64 »

Hello,

I've tried in vain to install the Broadcom b43.x driver on two different laptop using a USB drive and copying and installing them per supplied instructions. I know the WiFi hardware works on both. I can swap to a HD w/Windows and they both operate correctly.

I do not have access to a hard network port, just wireless using another (this) laptop.

System A:
Dell Vostro 1500
Intel Dual Core x64
Win7

System B:
HP 355G2
AMD x64
4 core CPU

Both systems use the Broadcom b43 hardware as indicated by hardware scanning programs.

I searched for a day or two and I always find the same drivers and installation instructions that I've already tried.

If anyone has a link with better instructions and or a driver, it's much appreciated.

SJ
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: b43 driver installation issue.

Post by JeremyB »

What are the chips ID's

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net
I believe they start with 14e4
puddleglum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by puddleglum »

You should just be able to install "firmware-b43-installer" from Software Manager. This will also install 43-fwcutter and download, extract, and install the broadcom driver. Then you just activate it from the Driver Manager.

If you don't currently have access to the internet on the installed computer you will need to use another computer or the Windows OS on this computer to download the required files and then transfer them to your Linux computer for installation. You can use the Synaptic Package Manager to get a list of files to download for firmware-b43-installer and 43-fwcutter.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

puddleglum wrote:You should just be able to install "firmware-b43-installer" from Software Manager. This will also install 43-fwcutter and download, extract, and install the broadcom driver. Then you just activate it from the Driver Manager.

If you don't currently have access to the internet on the installed computer you will need to use another computer or the Windows OS on this computer to download the required files and then transfer them to your Linux computer for installation. You can use the Synaptic Package Manager to get a list of files to download for firmware-b43-installer and 43-fwcutter.
The Linux Mint has no internet connection, so that will not work
The poster could try downloading https://www.dropbox.com/s/7exlzch25ap6uha/b43.zip
Transfer it via thumb drive to the Linux Mint computer and then in terminal

unzip b43.zip

sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/b43

sudo cp ~/b43/* /lib/firmware/b43/
Then reboot
Scottjo64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Scottjo64 »

That is correct, I do not have a ethernet web connection, just wireless. Unless I stumble across one in my travels.

The Dropbox link to b43.zip is dead. I found one on the Ubuntu site but, I had to register. C'est la vie.

I'll try it when I return home.

This will be the 4th time and hopefully the final one.

I'll keep you posted.

SJ
puddleglum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by puddleglum »

Here is the one I used. Looks like that site is still there:

wget -c http://www.lwfinger.com/b43-firmware/broadcom-wl-5.100.138.tar.bz2
with b43-fwcutter like so:

wget -c http://mirrors.xmission.com/ubuntu/pool/main/b/b43-fwcutter/b43-fwcutter_018-2_amd64.deb
wget -c http://mirrors.xmission.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/b/b43-fwcutter/firmware-b43-installer_018-2_all.deb
tar xfvj broadcom-wl-5.100.138.tar.bz2
sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-5.100.138/linux/wl_apsta.o
Scottjo64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Scottjo64 »

Well, stranger things have happened.

I finally get around to playing with the old Dell I dropped LM 18.3 on and obviously had Wifi driver issues.

I plug it in, turn it on and the WiFi lit up! Looks like the installation did work after all! Although I have NO FREAKIN idea why it worked after sitting idle for 4 days.

Go figure. But I am a happy guy! This week has been SWEEEEET!
deadpool.smiling.jpg

Return to “Networking”