router just with ethernet cable connectivity

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ckonn
Level 3
Level 3

router just with ethernet cable connectivity

Post by ckonn »

I was wondering is there on the market the following type of network device:

a router ( combo: modem + router ) which can connect to itself devices just trough a wired,
cable connection ( ethernet technology ) and without wifi option/technology in it?

I have made some internet researches, but haven't found such type of device.

thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: router just with ethernet cable connectivity

Post by jimallyn »

That used to be all you could get, routers without wifi. I probably have one in my junk box. I would be surprised if you couldn't still buy them.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
ckonn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ckonn »

i mean router ( combo: modem + router ) without wifi, receiving not dsl signal from a dsl cable, but a signal from a isp's coaxial cable.
Last edited by ckonn on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ckonn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ckonn »

i think this device is just router. not modem and router in one.
blockhead47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blockhead47 »

Is this something you are looking for? http://www.arris.com/surfboard/
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

This is just an "FYI"...

I have a client who owns/runs a "Financial" business (money manager). Several years ago he wanted to upgrade from DSL to cable. The only cable provider in the area is "Com-something-or-other". They normally supply a "cable-modem" which decodes their signaling AND has an internal router - AND - embedded WiFi (you know it can do routing if it has multiple ethernet ports and/or WiFi). In my experience I know that the WiFi can be turned off, but the control panel with that capability is not available except to the employee-techs with the special page/password knowledge (1). In other words, the standard "vendor-supplied" cable-modem has WiFi that can't be turned off.

My client informed Com???? that his rules-of-business do not permit WiFi and that he could not purchase their service if it came with WiFi. "Magically" they were able to find and ship a cable-modem that does not have embedded WiFi (amazing what they can do when they want a sale). They claimed that their "business-level" package can do this but their "home-level" package cannot.

Now, the other bad news... I haven't seen this lately, but only a few years ago, in the combo cable modem/router, the routing function barely worked. It seemed very primitive. As soon as more than three-or-four users were connected to the LAN the embedded router would almost cease to work. It seemed so overloaded that a high-speed cable connection ended up with Internet response that equaled 50kb dial-up. Fortunately, the fix was simple: you simply acquired a decent router (relatively cheap), fed it from the cable-modem, and let it do the routing for the LAN. ** This situation was so common and persistent that the cable company technicians actually brought, gave, and installed third-party routers for TWO of my clients when they upgraded to cable.

A combo unit without the capability to disable WiFi is useless to me. I will not permit that sort of "potential back-door" in my personal environment.

(1) The techs in the field (mostly contractors) are also not able to do this. I have had their help-desk level-2's on the phone and had them do it remotely (from the company Control-Center), but they don't (or at least didn't) trust their installers with that knowledge.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

Your cable modem coupled with something like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6833124160 should work well. I'm not recommending this specific ethernet-only router, but it is one of many available from this on-line store. Cable modems with nothing but a single ethernet output are everywhere.
kender30

Post by kender30 »

The problem with only a few computers being able to connect to a modem/gateway combo is a thing of the past. Don't worry about that. What type of modem/router is it and what is your connection speed? Comcast has been using their gateways to double as Xfinity hotspots for other subscribers so that if somebody is out and about, they can get on the net as long as they are close to another modem/router. They want to be able to advertise that no matter where you are, you can use the internet if you subscribe to their service. Since in their areas, they have a considerable market share over broadband, this is fairly close to the truth. They also lease Xfinity to other providers, like Cox. They have similar arrangements with this other provider about Xfinity WiFi hotspots. They are, of course, hesitant to want to allow people to turn off their WiFi and restrict access to the config pages on some of their gateways. Personally, I find this to be quite troublesome. Somebody with an account could use MY connection to download pirated software or to perform hacks. I don't think they are giving separate external IPs out to people using my connection as an Xfinity hotspots, so who do you think the FBI or DHS will come looking for?

You could potentially buy just a standard cable modem but if you have a top tier service, you will need a 16-chanel modem (actually, 16 down, 4 up) to actually get those speeds. Last I looked, I could only find 4 and 8 channel modems at the stores. That's why I asked about your connection speed. My suggestion would be this: do like the previous person suggested--buy an off-the-shelf wired router with good security. Set the modem in pass-through mode so it passes the public IP to your router. Plug everything into your router. If you are really worried about the WiFi, you could put a couple Faraday cages around it. They're not all that difficult to make. A cage can be made with Al foil and a single one will cut the range by about half. A second will cut it in half again. a third SHOULD make it so you would have to be a couple feet away to connect. I have also seen Al fine-mesh screening being used. I have not yet had tried one so I cannot speak to their efficacy.

Return to “Networking”