Non Paypal donations!

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leadwtZ

Non Paypal donations!

Post by leadwtZ »

Hi,

I've seen the posts regarding this matter and wonder if the 'guys' have found an alternative yet to Paypal?

I no longer use Paypal (Account or payment service) due to some issues. Likewise I no longer use Ebay because of their Paypal 'partnership'. Likewise (getting boring I know) I will not use Amazon because of their 'methods'.

Soooo being a supporter of LM I still wish to contribute but really my hands are tied.

Are we likely to see an alternative offered any time soon or ever?

Happy New Year :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Non Paypal donations!

Post by kc1di »

This was the reply given in May 2017: by xenopeek: the entire thread can be read here: viewtopic.php?t=225621&start=20
Unread postby xenopeek » Wed May 17, 2017 3:39 am

Indeed, one of the primary reasons Linux Mint uses PayPal is that it automates the majority of administration needed to file taxes. Tax law gets complex when taking income from multiple countries. We'd rather Clem spends his time on development :wink: Linux Mint hasn't had issues with PayPal that I'm aware of and for what it offers its fees are competitive.

Requests to donate by check or direct bank transfer, or use a payment processor other than PayPal, come up from time to time. Most of Linux Mint's donors and sponsors do not have a problem with PayPal. For those that do, it would be great to offer them more alternatives. It's hard to say no to people that want to support the Linux Mint developers. As such that has been looked at before several times and I generally pass on such requests to Clem so, along with other sources of such requests, he can keep track of how many users don't want to donate using PayPal or the alternatives offered. My understanding is that other alternatives were more expensive and/or would've required much more time to handle and do administration for.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

leadwtZ wrote:Hi,

Are we likely to see an alternative offered any time soon or ever?

Happy New Year :)
NO
:(
it's most unlikely to be changed . . .
- there are Accounting & Business Reasons behind this situation.
:o

the general suggestion, is to find someone who does have a Paypal account,
& ask if they will help you out.

another way, is to Buy products from LinuxMint affiliates.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

I remember using a credit card successfully, it was even possible to set the donor's country flag.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

You must have a friend with Paypal that could do a one-off donation for cash.
leadwtZ

Post by leadwtZ »

Yo kc!di I had seen the post by xenopeek but I wuz sort of hoping that there had been enough (pleasant) pressure to get another option for payment.

I could buy stuff Pierre but I am a non-material type so that is not really a viable option long-term.

Bye for now.

Ooops missed a couple of posts while doing this response:

Minterator The problem with credit card or otherwise is that the payment is 'powered' by Paypal and is actually on this system that I had problems. If it was 'Sagepay' or 'Worldpay' etc. it would not be an issue.

And no MintBean not really even my family and some friends are quiting Paypal and Ebay for the same reason/s.

Bye for now again.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I am curious about what sort of problem you experience with Paypal. (Without divulging any personal information here, of course...)
I am not aware of any problem with them - other than possibly "political".
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

leadwtZ wrote:And no MintBean not really even my family and some friends are quiting Paypal and Ebay for the same reason/s.
So some of your friends still use Paypal. Problem solved.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

leadwtZ wrote:Yo kc!di I had seen the post by xenopeek but I wuz sort of hoping that there had been enough (pleasant) pressure to get another option for payment.

I could buy stuff Pierre but I am a non-material type so that is not really a viable option long-term.

Bye for now.

Ooops missed a couple of posts while doing this response:

Minterator The problem with credit card or otherwise is that the payment is 'powered' by Paypal and is actually on this system that I had problems. If it was 'Sagepay' or 'Worldpay' etc. it would not be an issue.

And no MintBean not really even my family and some friends are quiting Paypal and Ebay for the same reason/s.

Bye for now again.

The first time I used Paypal thinking that I could make an anonymous donation, but such is not that case, Paypal passes your info to the payee and you show up in Mint's donor list whether you like it or not.

Unlike the US, Paypal in England would have to comply with strict EU regulations for privacy protection? Paypal seems to be a middleman here, since Mint is not set up to charge credit cards directly.
leadwtZ

Post by leadwtZ »

austin.Texas Ho - no political issues but unauthorised transactions which according to my contacts with the two different banks involved was originated in that service.

I cannot say that their assertions are true of course but I have taken the option of not using that particular service provider.

Anyway I shall still hope to find an alternative method for donating at some stage and so will leave it there.

Thanks for all the responses.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

leadwtZ wrote:austin.Texas Ho - no political issues but unauthorised transactions which according to my contacts with the two different banks involved was originated in that service.

I cannot say that their assertions are true of course but I have taken the option of not using that particular service provider.

Anyway I shall still hope to find an alternative method for donating at some stage and so will leave it there.

Thanks for all the responses.
Your point is well taken, though the NSA & MI5 already have all your data ; )

Also, I think donors would be better motivated if Mint published an audited financial statement annually.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I have no issues with PayPal - use it all the time. What I wish is that LM had a subscription option - I would love to set up something to donate a few bucks a month.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I think some people try to convince themselves there's no way to contribute because they don't want to contribute. You can come up with a thousand reasons should you try.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

MintBean wrote:I think some people try to convince themselves there's no way to contribute because they don't want to contribute. You can come up with a thousand reasons should you try.
+1

Return to “Non-technical Questions”