(LM Mate) WinRAR to context menu

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EMKEI

(LM Mate) WinRAR to context menu

Post by EMKEI »

Hi all,

I use WinRAR on the command line. i often use a similar command:

Code: Select all

/home/linux/rar/rar a -k -s -m5 -ma5 -ep1 "/home/linux/Desktop/Documents.rar" "/home/linux/Desktop/Documents"
I need to simplify my work... add this option to the context menu in linux.

Example:
When I right click the folder. (The context menu opens) and there I can choose "folder to .rar archive".
The .rar archive is created in the current original folder located with these parameters "-k -s -m5 -ma5 -ep1".
If a file with a name already exists, the number is added, example (old "ABC.rar" > new "ABC1.rar")

I can not find a way to do it... Please help me thx.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: (LM Mate) WinRAR to context menu

Post by thx-1138 »

I need to simplify my work... add this option to the context menu in linux.
...you would need to come up with a script located under .config/caja/scripts...more or less something among those lines below...
#!/bin/bash

title="RAR extract"

rar a -k -s -m5 -ma5 -ep1 "$@" | zenity --text-info \
--title "$title" \
--width=640 \
--height=480
exit 0
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can write scripts for Caja (MATE's file manager) which you can then call from the Scripts submenu in the right-click context menu. An example here: http://www.ethanjoachimeldridge.info/te ... ext-action
EMKEI

Post by EMKEI »

@thx-1138 and @xenopeek I love you :roll:

PS:
hx-1138: my knowledge in is very limited... I can not edit the script to work properly... :cry:

#!/bin/bash

title="RAR extract"

/home/linux/rar/rar a -k -s -m5 -ma5 -ep1 "$@" | zenity --text-info \
--title "$title" \
--width=640 \
--height=480
exit 0
https://s17.postimg.org/jjelnkq8f/image.png
https://s17.postimg.org/heu8mjebz/image.png

Script archives files next to folder (not files in folder)

Can you still help me fix this your script?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Here's my attempt at a Caja script that creates a rar archive from the selected files and directories. If there is only one file or directory selected, the archive gets the name of that file or directory (+ ".rar" added). Otherwise it uses the name of the parent directory (+ ".rar" added).

NOTE: you must first install the package gridsite-clients to get the needed urlencode command. Install it through Software Manager or with command: apt install gridsite-clients

The code might look a bit more complex but that's because I took extra care for it to work perfectly with files and directories that have spaces in their name. It may not work as expected for files that have newlines in their name but probably adding IFS=' ' to the top of the script makes it work with that also. I didn't test this yet.

Also, why is your rar file in your home directory? I installed rar through Software Manager and it installs in /usr/bin/rar. The variable at the start of the script configures where to find the rar command.

Mind that while I've tested this thoroughly (for how it works with file names with spaces), it isn't fool proof yet. For example if the rar name already exists, I don't know what the rar command will do with the exists rar archive? Overwrite it? Add to it? There should probably be added some logic to check for that and perhaps pop up a question with zenity to have the user choose what to do. Same as with the script not letting you know its progress, any errors or when it's done. You might also want to add the option to the rar command that makes it assume yes to all questions -- because you can't interact with the rar command currently. I could easily make it so this script opens a terminal first and then runs on that though. That way you get to see any errors and questions rar has, and progress.

#!/bin/bash

RAR=/home/linux/rar/rar

target_dir=$(urlencode -d $CAJA_SCRIPT_CURRENT_URI | sed 's#^file://##')
target_archive=$(basename "$target_dir")

files_arg=""
count=0
for f in $CAJA_SCRIPT_SELECTED_URIS; do
        files_arg="${files_arg:+${files_arg} }'$(urlencode -d $f | sed 's#^file://##')'"
        (( count++ ))
done

if [[ $count -eq 1 ]]; then
        target_archive=$(basename "${files_arg:1:${#files_arg}-2}")
fi

eval "$RAR a -k -s -m5 -ma5 -ep1 '${target_dir}/${target_archive}.rar' $files_arg"
EMKEI

Post by EMKEI »

Holy shit!

Thank you very much for your support and for the perfect explanation.

Mind that while I've tested this thoroughly (for how it works with file names with spaces), it isn't fool proof yet. For example if the rar name already exists, I don't know what the rar command will do with the exists rar archive? Overwrite it? Add to it? There should probably be added some logic to check for that and perhaps pop up a question with zenity to have the user choose what to do.
Yes Yes you are absolutely right... For my needs, it would be enough for the file to change its name to.
Example: "ABC.rar", "ABC(1).rar", "ABC(2).rar", etc. (If the new archive has the same name)

PS:
RAR I have not installed but only copied into my home folder. (my stupidity)
So far, the script works perfectly. i will try to add support for "ABC.rar", "ABC(1).rar", "ABC(2).rar", etc.

But honestly, your knowledge is at a different level :mrgreen:
If you had time and tried to add this option...
Last edited by EMKEI on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, that was easier than expected :) I also tested it with files and directories that had newlines in their name and that works correctly.

#!/bin/bash

RAR=/home/linux/rar/rar

target_dir=$(urlencode -d $CAJA_SCRIPT_CURRENT_URI | sed 's#^file://##')
target_archive=$(basename "$target_dir")

files_arg=""
count=0
for f in $CAJA_SCRIPT_SELECTED_URIS; do
        files_arg="${files_arg:+${files_arg} }'$(urlencode -d $f | sed 's#^file://##')'"
        (( count++ ))
done

if [[ $count -eq 1 ]]; then
        target_archive=$(basename "${files_arg:1:${#files_arg}-2}")
fi

sequence=""
while [[ -e "${target_dir}/${target_archive}${sequence:+($sequence)}.rar" ]]; do
        (( sequence++ ))
done

eval "$RAR a -k -s -m5 -ma5 -ep1 '${target_dir}/${target_archive}${sequence:+($sequence)}.rar' $files_arg"
EMKEI

Post by EMKEI »

Thank you very much it is exactly what I wanted (This is the most beautiful christmas present for me) :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You're welcome. It's handy to have some skills with Bash scripting for automating things like this.
EMKEI

Post by EMKEI »

Yes you are right (I'm a newbie in linux) until recently I used it windows command line and autohotkey...

Return to “Beginner Questions”