1.How to install Linux mint in Android phone (4.4.2 Kitkat) ??

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ypersyntelykos

Post by ypersyntelykos »

Happy New Year

The questions are :
2.How i can install Linux applications in Android phone (4.4.2 Kitkat) ??
3.Exist linux for mobile phones ??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: 1.How to install Linux mint in Android phone (4.4.2 Kitkat) ??

Post by deepakdeshp »

Information about Ubuntu phone
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Touch
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Mint won't install on Android phones because Android phones use ARM processors, not x86/AMD64, and those are the only processors that Mint supports. Android is actually based on Linux, so you are kinda-sorta running Linux already. But it doesn't have the libraries and such to run all the Linux programs we are used to. There is a fully free/open source version of Android available, called LineageOS. It doesn't have all of Google's bloatware in it, and it has features that aren't available in Google's Android. LineageOS has versions for most phones. There are Linux distributions that do support ARM processors: Ubuntu, Redhat, Debian, and more, but it might take some work to get them running on a phone.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
ypersyntelykos

Post by ypersyntelykos »

Thanks all for your help-answers
I will try to install the LineageOS
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

ypersyntelykos wrote:I will try to install the LineageOS
Please let us know how that works for you. I have been thinking about moving my phone to LineageOS myself.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

If you want/need to use Linux Command Line applications - Termux is worth a look. It needs Android 5.0 or above though so you'll need something like LineageOS before hand anyway on your device.

https://termux.com/
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Maybe this is an option: Guide: Installing and Running a GNU/Linux Environment on Any Android Device.

I'm looking at apps for android 7 on a new device, and I so would like to bring gnu apps over. I am using ff. I installed adobe to read pdf's, just cause I couldn't find anything else. I need an editor and spreadsheet. It's difficult to fine filter the google store apps. Sometimes I get a message, "no optimized for your device". I'm trying to be smart (safe) about what I download. I want to get some ebooks or pdfs to read, and I'd like to own them and download them, so I guess that leaves out amz. But packtpub books are $5 and downloadable. Cool!.
ypersyntelykos

Post by ypersyntelykos »

Unfortunatelly the LineageOS dont working
i will tryu another way to install Linux mint in my mobile phone
any suggestion ??

The question is if i delete the android can i make clear install linux mint in my mobile phone ???
Elephone p3000s ??
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ypersyntelykos wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:11 am The question is if i delete the android can i make clear install linux mint in my mobile phone ???
No, that will not work. Jimallyn already told you:
Mint won't install on Android phones because Android phones use ARM processors, not x86/AMD64, and those are the only processors that Mint supports.
And that hasn't changed.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux”