You Tube videos don't play in Chromium AGAIN!!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AlbertInFrance

You Tube videos don't play in Chromium AGAIN!!

Post by AlbertInFrance »

When I try to play videos from YouTube in Chromium I get a black frame with this error message:

"your browser does not recognize any of the video formats available"

This happens on both my computers, one of which is practically brand new, both running Chromium: Version 63.0.3239.84 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on LinuxMint 18.3 (64-bit) xfce edition.

Here's a sample URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJwRDbkzSAU

I can play the same video in Firefox, but overall I want to stick with Chrome/Chromium because it syncs across all my machines.

Presumaby there's a setting or an add-on for Chromium that will fix this.

Any help gratefully received.

Albert
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: You Tube videos don't play in Chromium

Post by Spearmint2 »

Install "pepperflash", which should have already been in Chromium browser. Also can go to the youtube.com/html5 page and set to use html5 video rendering. If that doesn't work, maybe reinstall the browser, or get an earlier version that actually did work on youtube. I don't know if this would affect the browser, but did you by chance install an OEM version of Linux?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
AlbertInFrance

Post by AlbertInFrance »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Install "pepperflash", which should have already been in Chromium browser. Also can go to the youtube.com/html5 page and set to use html5 video rendering. If that doesn't work, maybe reinstall the browser, or get an earlier version that actually did work on youtube. I don't know if this would affect the browser, but did you by chance install an OEM version of Linux?
Thanks. I'll give these options a try.

My copy of Linux came straight from the Mint site, so I can't see that being a problem. Also, I'm getting the same problem on my old desktop machine running KDE, which is what I'm posting from at the moment.

Funnily enough, when I go into Software Manager on this machine it doesn't show Chrome or Chromium as installed or available, even though I'm actually in Chromium right now! My new machine does show Chromium-browser as installed.

Thanks again, I'm off for another gig.

Albert
AlbertInFrance

Post by AlbertInFrance »

Follow-up

Now working on my Xfce machine! Many thanks to Spearmint2.

For the sake of anyone needing this in future I followed the instructions for Debian 9 'Stretch' here:

https://wiki.debian.org/PepperFlashPlayer/Installing

As usual you need to do it as root or via sudo.

For info:

Having gone to Pepperflash in my Xfce machine it's shown as 'Not available'. However, on this (KDE) machine it additionally says: 'Please use apt-get to install this package.'

On my Xfce machine going to the YouTube HTML5 page it shows HTML5 as'currently used when possible'.

Albert
Jim Hauser

Re: You Tube videos don't play in Chromium <SOLVED>

Post by Jim Hauser »

Pepperflash is also available in the repositories.For many people it may be easier to install...
AlbertInFrance

Post by AlbertInFrance »

Jim Hauser wrote:Pepperflash is also available in the repositories.For many people it may be easier to install...
Just to clarify, when I wrote
Having gone to Pepperflash in my Xfce machine it's shown as 'Not available'. However, on this (KDE) machine it additionally says: 'Please use apt-get to install this package.'
I meant that I tried to install it via the Software Manager, which is my usual first option. Having got a 'not available' there I went off to find some instructions on the Web.

I cant see that anything could be much simpler than copying and pasting three or four lines of code.The problem is to know the code.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

That seams strange.... I have been running KDE for 4 years and never got that message. I have always used Synaptic to install Pepperflash without any problems. Anyway... glad you got it running! :-)
AlbertInFrance

Re: You Tube videos don't play in Chromium AGAIN!

Post by AlbertInFrance »

I'm back to square one!

Having decided to settle for Mint Mate rather than Xfce I did a clean install, which of course meant I had to install Chromium and Pepperflash again. Having done that my guinea pig YouTube video loaded and played correctly -- hooray!

Then needed to play another video and immediately got the black frame with this error message:
"your browser does not recognize any of the video formats available".
Now nothing plays again!

So I uninstalled Chromium and Pepperflash and reinstalled, from a different repo. After a reboot my test video played but as soon as I ran the tutorial one again I was left with nothing but the error message.

Obviously my setup is almost right, because it succeeds at first, but something falls over when I try to play another video.

The URL that works at first is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJwRDbkzSAU ('From the Underworld' by The Herd)

The one that fails is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoQQxUxWmpQ ('Rename multiple files in LINUX with pyRenamer - YouTube')

I don't know if it has any bearing on the situation, but I get this site appearing in Chromium: http://barisderin.com/?p=2227 I tells me
"Congratulations! YouTube Flash Video Player installed successfully for Firefox. You can right now start using your new add-on."
and tries to sell me a package called 'ProductivityBoss'.

Surely I'm not the only person having problems like this.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: You Tube videos don't play in Chromium AGAIN!!

Post by Spearmint2 »

sounds like you have an add-on that is also a browser hijack. Installed any add-on lately? Turn off all add-ons, run in secure mode, see if you have the same problems.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
AlbertInFrance

Post by AlbertInFrance »

Hi, Spearmint2.

This is a fresh install of Mint Mate and the only add-on I've installed is Pepperflash.

I'm experimenting with Ubuntu Mate as well (don't like it as much as Mint) and it appears there as well.

Interestingly, the first item in the Ubuntu software 'boutique' is Adobe Flash Player, which claims to 'provide plugins compatible with both the Chromium and Firefox web browsers'. However, I'm getting exactly the same problem so far. I've just told it to do a reinstall and now I'll reboot.

Back soon.
AlbertInFrance

Post by AlbertInFrance »

Back again.

Reinstalling Adobe Flash Player made things better for about 5 minutes and then once I tried to play the tutorial again I got the black screen back.

That was a fresh install of Ubuntu Mate with installing only Chromium.

Oh well, at least I don't have to consider moving to Ubuntu, because I'm really not keen on their default Mate setup. looks like I'll have to switch all my machines to Firefox to get back to using YouTube.

Thanks for the help.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

here's what my Chrome browser says about flash. I have no problems playing flash video in it.
===============================================
chrome://flash/

About Flash

Google Chrome 48.0.2564.109 ()
OS Linux
Flash plugin 20.0.0.306 /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so
--- Crash data ---
Crash Reporting Enable crash reporting to see crash IDs
For more details https://support.google.com/chrome/?p=ui_usagestat
--- GPU information ---
WARNING: GPU access is not allowed: GPU access is disabled in chrome://settings.
--- GPU driver, more information ---
Vendor Id 0x1002
Device Id 0x9610
Driver vendor Mesa
Driver version 10.1.0
Driver date
Pixel shader version
Vertex shader version
GL_VENDOR X.Org
GL_RENDERER Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780
GL_VERSION 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0
GL_EXTENSIONS

Return to “Sound”