Right Click Desktop Menu Edit

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dinosaur1946

Right Click Desktop Menu Edit

Post by Dinosaur1946 »

Hi All

Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

When right clicking in an empty space on the desktop, a Menu opens.
To further insulate my system from rogue operators I want to do remove:
"Open in Terminal" from that menu.
It also shows when right clicking an Icon, but with additional entries.

OR, is it possible to block a user from the Terminal ?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Right Click Desktop Menu Edit

Post by Cosmo. »

Secure your account with a password and disable auto-login.
Dinosaur1946

Re: Right Click Desktop Menu Edit

Post by Dinosaur1946 »

Hi All

I guess I should explain WHY.

When I changed my Industrial machines over to Linux , away from Win embedded, I choose Mint because
1, I was a total newbie to Linux, and 2 Mint looked the easiest to learn and has one of the best support.
It has now been running on a number of machines over the USA and Australia for 4 years, so my choice
of Mint was validated.

The machines that I build allow an operator via a touch screen or mouse pad to select to run the machine
via a dedicated HMI application. They should not do anything else, unless maintenance gets involved.

Maintenance uses the only other icon on the screen to get to all the circuit diagrams, spare parts list, manuals,
photo's videos etc to help them repair the mechanical/electrical parts of the machines. So If one machine is down
they can look at the detail on another to get the detail.

Neither operators or Maintenance should have access to the Linux system.
Thus far I have eliminated the Panel, and moved all the unwanted icons to my restricted folder.

But that right click menu is a temptation for people who love to play. (I wonder if there are any games here ?)

I know that restricting access to the Terminal is probably considered sacrilege in Linux circles , but hey we
have a great GUI, so as advertised "No need to go the black screen"

If it cannot be done without changes to Mint 18.3 then I will have to leave the risk there.

Return to “Cinnamon”