Net Neutrality

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Net Neutrality

Post by jimbobs »

MintBean wrote:
jimbobs wrote:Not sure where you live but here in Ontario, we have a highway (Highway 407) built under a so-called public, private, partnerships, now operated by private corporations, policed by the tax-funded provincial police force with toll penalties enforced by (provincial) government.
It was built with the involvement of the government, so by agreement they were well within their rights to stipulate rules. It was not a purely private road.
Just like the Internet!
Dell Inspiron 1525 Core 2 Duo T5850 4GB Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia Cinnamon 6.0.4
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

jimbobs wrote:So which "parts" are those? How about ICANN?
Put it in quotes all you like- I feel no onus to run off and try to justify what infrastructure was built by .gov and what was privately built. Suffice to say, precious little of the modern network infrastructure was funded by the military,
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

jimbobs wrote:Just like the Internet!
Not like the internet. There are vast swathes of private networks that comprise the internet that were built without any collusion with the government.
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

MintBean wrote:
jimbobs wrote:So which "parts" are those? How about ICANN?
Put it in quotes all you like- I feel no onus to run off and try to justify what infrastructure was built by .gov and what was privately built. Suffice to say, precious little of the modern network infrastructure was funded by the military,
I thought it was a simple question! My inference from your earlier comments was that you seem to think that Internet access is the be-all and end-all of the Internet and that net neutrality applied to that "part" alone.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

jimbobs wrote:I thought it was a simple question!
In that case, I don't have the answer for you nor the inclination to search for it. Please post back when you've done the research, since you're interested.
My inference from your earlier comments was that you seem to think that Internet access is the be-all and end-all of the Internet and that net neutrality applied to that "part" alone.
You inferred that which was not implied.
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

MintBean wrote:
jimbobs wrote:I thought it was a simple question!
In that case, I don't have the answer for you nor the inclination to search for it. Please post back when you've done the research, since you're interested.
I don't need to do the research but I think you do.
MintBean wrote:
jimbobs wrote:My inference from your earlier comments was that you seem to think that Internet access is the be-all and end-all of the Internet and that net neutrality applied to that "part" alone.
You inferred that which was not implied.
Is that not a tautology?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Gentlemen, let's see if we can get this back on topic, please.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

The commercial interests which have taken over the originally government funded Internet are the only ones against net neutrality. The only rationale for that is that they can see opportunities for further profits. The argument that it will allow them to invest further is clearly fallacious and does not make any sense at all.

However, the real problem we are facing is that the Internet has become a mandatory tool of modern life in some places at least: many government organizations disseminate all their information online; many organizations require all communications via the Internet. etc. etc. There are many doomsday situations that can be contemplated if net neutrality is diminished anymore than it has been already.

Furthermore, there is the economic concept of dominant players and how special rules need to apply to them so that their dominant positions or size does not stifle competition. If dominant players are allowed to take advantage of any relaxation of net neutrality rules, then a reduction in competition and a growth in the number monopolies can be foreseen. This will not be good for anybody - even neo-liberals!
Last edited by jimbobs on Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

jimallyn wrote:Gentlemen, let's see if we can get this back on topic, please.
Mea culpa. I blame the end of year festivities :)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

jimbobs wrote:Mea culpa.
Mea Tooa.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
KalEl

Post by KalEl »

Hello
I really tried to understand this decision
I have thought in every aspect about this issue of privacy, freedom, freedom from capitalist markets in every possible reason to try to understand the real reason and if you are to observe all companies, services and etc ...
I can only say that no one will benefit from this decision and worse everyone will be harmed ...
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

even though this has died down a bit, over there in the USA,
- it's still alive down here:
https://www.computerworld.com.au/articl ... y-inquiry/
“Australia has no dedicated protections and existing legislation is insufficient to ensure that networks do not discriminate against or prioritise specific services, applications or content delivered over the Internet,” the Senator's motion said.
and the inquiry was knocked back . . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Open Chat”