Entering IP addresses [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
richards

Entering IP addresses [SOLVED]

Post by richards »

I am trying to get my IP, Mask and Gateway addresses entered manually in Cinn 18.3. I can not figure out how to enter the 3 groups of IP address into the text box where all three are entered. I can get the first host IP address into the box after clicking the "add" button, but how I go to enter the next 2 addresse groups defies any logic. I can't figure out which key to press to end one group of IP numbers to go to the next. This is the strangest text box I have ever seen to enter some numbers into it. Does anybody know which key you press to end one group of numbers so you can enter the next group of numbers so when done they all align under the right columns for IP, Mask, and Gateway?

This should not be this difficult to do.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
j8a

Re: Entering IP addresses

Post by j8a »

Hi,
You should use the tab key.
Kind regards,
richards

Post by richards »

Sorry, tab key does not work. Colored horizontal bars move back and forth when the tab key is pressed and pieces of the ip address jump left-right-left. I really would like to talk to the programmer who made that box! I really can't figure out why someone would make a text box like it. Over 35 years of computers, I have only seen IP entry that uses 3 text boxes, one for each address. Even windows tcp/ip property page is easy.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Try making the window larger and see if it works then. It might be easier to assign the computer a static IP on the router.
richards

Post by richards »

Well, guess what. There is another network IP address entry page that has 3 separate boxes and actually works normal. I was going into the preferences > network connections tab. That's where the text box from hell is. But in the preferences > network tab, after clicking on the sprocket in the bottom right corner, a "wired" named box appears and it has 3 normal working text boxes to put the IP, Mask, and Gateway addresses into it.

This is even stranger. Why do the Cinnamon people put two almost identical network tabs in preferences? The same info is put in but in a slightly different way.

I will forever ignore the "network connections" tab.

Thanks for your time to try to help.

BTW, the reason I don't use dhcp is because I use Mint for web, DB, Email, FTP, Proxy, chat, VPN servers since mint is based upon Ubuntu and since I think Ubuntu 14, their server core and desktop core are identical. This makes Mint a very nice (with gui) server platform.
richards

Re: Entering IP addresses [SOLVED]

Post by richards »

Just as an FYI, I think I figured out how to get the network settings box in "network connections" to work. The "trick" is to click the "add" button, start typing the IP then Enter, type in Mask then Enter, type Gateway address then enter. You just have to totally ignore whats going on in the text box. It will show all kinds of weird stuff, colors and formatting. But after the last Enter, everything straightens out correctly in the box to what was typed in. I did it over and over again and it works as I described as above.

Return to “Networking”