Oracle JDK 8 .jar file does nothing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ameen

Oracle JDK 8 .jar file does nothing

Post by Ameen »

Hi All,

I have had a problem with a .jar file not opening when I click on it and run it, nothing happens. here is the result of Java -jar jadpcm.jar: Error: Could not find or load main class com.silogic.rtc.adpcm.ADPCM I am running Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit version 3.6.7. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Oracle JDK 8 .jar file does nothing

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Ameen.

Is this jar file jadpcm.jar really a self-contained standalone jar file? If it is not, but if it belongs to software package, you may not be expected to launch it by simply double-clicking it.
Maybe it depends on other jar files and on a correctly set CLASSPATH? Who knows?
Definitely more details are needed on what jadpcm.jar really is and on what the developer's instruction is on how to launch it.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Ameen

Post by Ameen »

Yes, I believe the problem is with the Classpath here are the instructions:

Run the "jar" file with:

prompt> java -jar jadpcm.jar

You'll need to install Java. I'm not sure the "open java" that's on many linux's will work. If you can't get that to work, try the one from Oracle.

Here is a link to his exact post with the file: https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/pla ... 5271633593
Wait for it to load then it will take you to his post with the attached file.
Ameen

Post by Ameen »

Any Ideas?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Ameen.

After having read the linked thread, I wonder whether it is really worth the time to try and run the jar file.
To me it reads as if this is a part of some never completed java application.
From my perspective there is not much point in spending any more time on this Java something.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Ameen",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

I downloaded the zip file from your link and extracted the contents which included the "jadpcm.jar" file and samples and it brought up this application and I could play the files using both OpenSource (openJDK) Java 8 and Oracle's Java 8, see screenshots. I used my file manager to right-click the file and opened it using either Java runtime.

Tip: You must have permission to run certain files like Java jar files. Just right click the jar file, select properties, permission tab, check the allow execute or executable box, click apply, ok. Then you can run it.

You must have Java installed which "openJDK" v8 usually is in all editions and versions of Linux Mint. I like to install both Oracle's Java and OpenJDK runtimes because some great Java applications will use either one.

"While very popular at the end of the last century, ADPCM is no longer a
common audio encoding format, and is certainly not recommended as a general
purpose encoder."

I also found these links.
dbry/adpcm-xq: Xtreme Quality IMA-ADPCM Encoder / Decoder
https://github.com/dbry/adpcm-xq

I searched the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for ADPCM and already had "libsnd", etc... installed
Oracle Java and Open Java installation

The Java runtimes are probably available in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

Install new Oracle Java 9 In Ubuntu, Linux Mint, with links to install previous versions (6,7,8 stable).
http://www.webupd8.org/2015/02/install- ... linux.html

Install new Oracle Java 8 In Ubuntu, Linux Mint, with links to install previous versions (6,7).
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/install- ... a-ppa.html

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
[/color]

For Java9

sudo apt-get install oracle-java9-installer
[/color]

VIP: Switching between Oracle Java 8 and Java 9
Later on, if you want to switch Oracle Java 9, use the following command (make sure "oracle-java9-installer" package is installed):

sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-9-oracle
[/color]

And, switch back to Oracle Java 8 using:

sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-8-oracle
[/color]

If you get some warnings when running these two commands, ignore them.

VIP: Setting Java environment variables
To automatically set up the Java 8 environment variables, you can install the following package:
sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-set-default
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OpenJDK Java 8 has been made into official Ubuntu repositories for 14.10 Utopic and higher.
For Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04, and Linux Mint 17 users here’s how to install it from PPA.
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... 12-04-lts/

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openjdk-r/ppa

sudo apt-get update 

sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk
[/color]

VIP: If you have more than one Java versions installed on your system. Run the command below to set the default Java:

sudo update-alternatives --config java
[/color]

Type in a number to select a Java version.
And set default Java Compiler by running:

sudo update-alternatives --config javac
[/color]

4. Finally check out current Java version by running:

java -version
It outputs something like this:

openjdk version "1.8.0_01-internal"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_01-internal-b04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.40-b08, mixed mode)

Hope this helps ...

adpcm-2.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Ameen

Post by Ameen »

The first problem has been fixed by running this: sudo apt-get install openjfx now the file opens but after playing one sound the thing freezes, what is the fix for this? I already had the run as executable file ticked on so that was not the problem. As you can see the company that records these sounds use the ADPCM format to install onto their system so I can't really change that.Btw keep the volume on low since some of the recordings are pretty loud. :shock:
Here is the result of "inxi -Fxzd":

System: Host: Ameen Kernel: 4.10.0-42-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine: System: GOOGLE (portable) product: Peppy v: 1.0
Mobo: GOOGLE model: Peppy v: 1.0
Bios: coreboot v: MrChromebox date: 07/14/2017
CPU: Dual core Intel Celeron 2955U (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 5587
clock speeds: max: 1400 MHz 1: 1399 MHz 2: 1400 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: intel
Resolution: 1600x900@59.98hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Intel 8 Series HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2 Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-42-generic
Network: Card: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter
driver: ath9k bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 16.0GB (73.4% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SNS4151 size: 16.0GB
Optical: No optical drives detected.
Partition: ID-1: / size: 13G used: 9.1G (79%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.02GB used: 0.14GB (7%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 58.8C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 199 Uptime: 7 min Memory: 1339.6/1809.9MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Ameen",

"openjfx" is a very good Java package to install for multiple Java processes, how did you figure that out? I'll add that to my instructions for installing Java.

I have never used this sound format or this particular Java application before. And FYI: I never installed the "dbry/adpcm-xq: Xtreme Quality IMA-ADPCM Encoder / Decoder" which if you really want to use this format, then installing this might be a good idea.

When I ran the Java app for this sound codec, I had to click each sound file in the lower box, then click play. It did not lock up, but it was not automatically playing the next sound file or the whole "mth" sound combo file.

What type of computer are you using? I have never heard of this "GOOGLE (portable) Peppy"? It does not have much CPU power or system memory (only 2 gb ram), so you might be better off using one of the other Linux Mint editions rather than the superb Cinnamon edition which requires more system resources, I recommend "Mate" or "Xfce"; Xfce requires the least amount of computer resources, Mate is the most hardware compatible.

You might be able to use "ffmpeg", or some other application, to play or convert the combo sound file or each track?

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Ameen

Post by Ameen »

This is an Acer c720 (Peppy), Which Linux do you recommend and which one looks the most like mint? The reason is that right now my Linux mint looks like windows 10 because I like the look of Windows if I can put a theme on the other operating systems than give me a recommendation and I will do it right now. Can I download Linux mint mate? How do I install the "dbry/adpcm-xq: Xtreme Quality IMA-ADPCM Encoder / Decoder" software?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Ameen",

If you can add more memory which is relatively low cost nowadays, then you could do that and keep using the Cinnamon version, although you might still want to check out the other editions.
Ameen wrote:This is an Acer c720 (Peppy), Which Linux do you recommend and which one looks the most like mint, the reason is because right now my Linux mint looks like windows 10 because I like the look of windows if I can put a theme on the other operating systems than give me a recommendation and I will do it right now. Can I download Linux mint mate?
Anyone can download any edition of Linux Mint, there are four wonderful editions of Linux Mint: Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce, and KDE (64-bit and 32-bit), yours is 64-bit.

They all are graphical desktops and thus work very similar to MS Windows, some (or all) can even be "themed" to look like various versions of MS Windows. I would recommend that you download and burn a USB stick or DVD of each one Mate, Xfce, KDE, boot up to that and try it for a little while 1/2hr - 1 hr or so. Xfce or Mate would probably be best for your current hardware configuration.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ameen

Post by Ameen »

alright, I will try that right now do I need to do any configurations to my system if I just try them out on a USB?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI "Ameen",

Not at all, just go for it...

And, keep us posted... Ask questions if you need answers.
Ameen

Post by Ameen »

Interestingly the download stops at a certain point. Any ideas?
Ameen

Post by Ameen »

Any help?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Ameen"

Please be more specific. What are you trying to download and how, from a browser (which one) or a torrent link? Try a different download mirror link if downloading from a browser.

You must have at least 2gb of space on your drive to store the Linux Mint iso file download, then you must use a USB stick creator to burn the iso file to the USB stick.

Download - Linux Mint
https://linuxmint.com/download.php

Hope this helps ...
Ameen

Post by Ameen »

I am trying to download xfce through chrome, then firefox and both don't work. I tried several mirrors. I also tried Mate with the same results.
Ameen

Post by Ameen »

Now it says Network error but I am using Xfinity which should be good.
Ameen

Post by Ameen »

How good is KDE compared to Xfce and MATE would it be a good solution for me? Also are there any differences between the 4 systems like maybe different softwares or commands?
Ameen

Post by Ameen »

I just searched up KDE and it looks beautiful, would it be good for my device which is slow?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Ameen wrote:I just searched up KDE and it looks beautiful, would it be good for my device which is slow?
Probably not. KDE, Cinnamon, and Gnome are more "heavy" desktops, so they need to be run on computers that are relatively new and powerful. (Note that some people say that KDE isn't all that bad on low-end hardware, so your mileage may vary. I've always heard that KDE is generally a poor choice for slow devices, and my personal experience has also been that it's not a good choice.)

I personally like MATE and Xfce for low-end or slow devices - MATE I try first since I like it better, and if the computer is still to slow I switch to Xfce.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Beginner Questions”