[SOLVED] Backspace, arrow keys, Enter, and Delete keys

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Siile

[SOLVED] Backspace, arrow keys, Enter, and Delete keys

Post by Siile »

Hi, I have a Lenovo Flex 2 laptop and recently installed 18.3 cinnamon, after the installation my Backspace key, arrow key, delete key and enter key wouldn't move beyond one character at a time. It is a little problem but has been annoying me greatly to the extent that I tried reinstalling the system once again, but it didn't resolve the issue. The "repeat key" option is turned on and I have been searching the internet but couldn't find any solution. Please help.
Last edited by Siile on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Backspace, arrow keys, Enter, and Delete keys

Post by orschiro »

Have you experienced this problem also while using the live CD?

Do you get this problem with Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce regardlessly?
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I see something similar reported at Ubuntu with Lenovo laptop and 4.13 Kernel.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1720219

Which Kernel are you running?
Siile

Post by Siile »

I have tried both cinnamon and Mate and experienced the same problem but haven't tried other distributions... Immediately after the installation it seems to work fine, but a little while later the problem always resurfaced. I'm using kernel 4.13.0-26 and installed 14.3.0-16 as well. I Just have the basic Idea about linux so I tried messing with installing the kernel just to see if it would change anything. And it is not just the aforementioned keys, but all the keys, I cannot type beyond a key at a time.
Last edited by Siile on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by orschiro »

Maybe try a kernel version 4.12.x
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

If you installed Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, the 4.10.0-38 kernel would initially install.

Did you tried that Kernel?
Siile

Post by Siile »

ClixTrix wrote:If you installed Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, the 4.10.0-38 kernel would initially install.

Did you tried that Kernel?
I don't normally check with the kernel because I was told it could break your system. So, after Installing 18.3 I found that 14.3.0-26 was installed already, and tried installing another kernel just to see if it would change anything and also because I had a back up of all the important files. But let me see if it works.
Siile

Post by Siile »

orschiro wrote:Maybe try a kernel version 4.12.x
I'm open to trying anything, ctrl and backspace works fine but sometimes I just keep on pressing Backspace just to realise it doesn't work.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

There is no 14.3.0-26 kernel????

You can install (and uninstall) kernels from Update Manager by selecting "View" and "Linux kernels" from the menu. You need to restart for a new (always most current) to load.

If you didn't uninstall any kernels, then they should appear in the Grub boot menu under "Advanced options for Linux Mint ...." at boot. Load older kernels from that menu option.
Siile

Post by Siile »

ClixTrix wrote:I see something similar reported at Ubuntu with Lenovo laptop and 4.13 Kernel.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1720219

Which Kernel are you running?

Thank you so much, this solution worked. Thank you once again for taking the time to help me.

sudo rmmod peaq_wmi
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

#add at the end:
#spams ^@
blacklist peaq_wmi
ClixTrix

Re: [SOLVED] Backspace, arrow keys, Enter, and Delete keys

Post by ClixTrix »

Wasn't sure if the problem is tied to any specific kernel, but glad the workaround posted there fixed your problem. You're welcome.
ndundupan

Re: [SOLVED] Backspace, arrow keys, Enter, and Delete keys

Post by ndundupan »

i get same problem, backspace on lenovo ideapad 110. After trying a lot things that say on internet i can't found the solution. I've try to tutorial on this forum. But the problem solved when i try to press FN + F9 (lock icon). i dont know what the function of this button

Return to “Hardware Support”