I'm sick of FUD and misinformation regarding Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: I'm sick of FUD and misinformation regarding Linux Mint

Post by Spearmint2 »

The only time I had to compile a kernel was for installing a new driver in the system.
I tried it once, but after 30 minutes of yes/no questions and realizing there were some asked I had little idea what it was about or affected, I just quit it before finishing. Decided I could live with precompiled kernels and use modprobe, rmmod, modinfo, and lsmod along with grep at times and be quite happy.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Spearmint2 wrote:
The only time I had to compile a kernel was for installing a new driver in the system.
I tried it once, but after 30 minutes of yes/no questions and realizing there were some asked I had little idea what it was about or affected, I just quit it before finishing.
Those days are long gone.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

coffee412 wrote:I will say with some truth that there are those that do not want to learn and want everything handed to them.
What a load of old judgemental condescending **** :D

That's like suggesting that people who are learning a new foreign language are intellectually lazy because they can't read or understand foreign literature and just need to make more of an effort to stare at it longer , Linux is worse than learning a new foreign language as it's made up Technobabble.

Confusion is not laziness , it's just bloody confusion as everyone has different mental and physical capabilities and sadly in some cases disabilities, none of which you can tell from sitting behind your keyboard.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Lucap wrote:Confusion is not laziness , it's just bloody confusion as everyone has different mental and physical capabilities and sadly in some cases disabilities, none of which you can tell from sitting behind your keyboard.
That's true, but it's also true that there are people who are curious and want to learn, and others who aren't and don't. On this forum, you can often tell the difference.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

+1 what Moem said.

Back on topic, the FUD arises from a mixture of sources. I do believe at the core there is a small group of malicious individuals intentionally spreading disinformation and attempting to defame Mint. I believe there was one high profile Debian developer in particular who IIRC had an axe to grind against Mint, seemingly because it was so successful and he believed Clement should be developing for Debian rather than "taking all the credit."

Then of course there are the misinformed, the panic prone and the so called 'useful idiots' who spread the FUD with no malevolent intention.

If you look back at the incident where Mint ISO downloads were compromised, it's hard to come away with any other impression than that the hackers primary motivation was to sully Mint's reputation.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

MintBean wrote: I do believe at the core there is a small group of malicious individuals intentionally spreading disinformation and attempting to defame Mint.
That sounds quite counterintuitive. I thought and I think that much of the attraction of Linux is it's spirit of openness and it's embracing of the diversity. Therefore I cannot understand why a group of people might want to defame one or other distribution. In my opinion no one distribution is perfect. All distributions are work in progress and have their strong and weak points and therefore the idea of an omnipotent, omniscient distribution is alien to me. I sense sometimes an attitude akin to religious fanaticism towards one's own favorite distribution on the part of some users reflected in their attitude towards other users with other preferences. That's to me contrary to the whole idea and philosophy of Linux, which stripped down can be expressed as: Treat all users with respect.
Last edited by Sir Charles on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MintBean wrote:If you look back at the incident where Mint ISO downloads were compromised, it's hard to come away with any other impression than that the hackers primary motivation was to sully Mint's reputation.
I don't find it hard at all. Most crackers want, for fun and profit, to enter systems that belong to other people; in this case, they wanted to do that by making people install an OS with a built in back door. They would probably have been perfectly happy if no one had ever found out, Mint's reputation remained intact, and they could have exploited that back door to their hearts' desire.

It's most likely all about money. As so often.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Moem wrote:It's most likely all about money. As so often.
Usually I would agree, but most hackers don't give interviews afterwards.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

This is my 12th year on Mint and I can't see any reason to change.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

900i wrote:This is my 12th year on Mint and I can't see any reason to change.
Haven't you been reading the posts on what havoc has been wreaking on peoples machines after the recent updates?
:lol:
Just kidding!
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Arch_Enemy wrote: I did get a kick out of one guy's tagline, however: "Ubuntu:Old African word for 'too lazy to run slackware'" :D
Or : "Ubuntu : I'm to dumb to install Debian"
:wink:
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

> Or : "Ubuntu : I'm to dumb to install Debian"

Now what distribution does linux mint run on again ...

Anyway, to the topic - I don't really see much misinformation, despite being
active on reddit. Perhaps we just don't frequent the same areas.

IMO mint and ubuntu are in VERY similar niches. Too similar to really call
one or the other that much different either way. I can't say that I use debian
after the systemd-move. I went back to the oldschool days of Linux. For
any automated task, I'll just use ruby.
czeekaj

Post by czeekaj »

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 66/8d2.gif

Problem for me is how much it does. It's going to make dependency problems. I dunno but I don't like the idea of an init doing bunch of system stuff outside of boot. It should be like grub :) I still not sure what masking is but some you can't disable through it, it kinda feels like you have to go around it if you want full control of the system.
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed the tag that made this gif animation go on my nerves
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

This propensity to get annoyed by what people say, seems to be driven by social media, where everybody is upset by something all of the time. It soon turns into a mob mentality where idiots lead the way. What happened to free thought and speech.

Why on earth would you get upset or annoyed by someone saying that Mint was crap. If you use Mint then you know that it is not true. I have used Mint for years and love it. I could not care less what other people think or say. Make your own mind up and do not let the hounds from hell get to you. It is mass hysteria and easy to get yourself involved.

Best regards Keith
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayser »

Linux Mint, of course, serves the purpose of being easy to new users.

But it's good for advanced users too.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

I play with a lot of different Linux dist.

LinuxMint is usually bug free with the friendliness folks to help.
Royal-Mint

Post by Royal-Mint »

Seriously, these FUDs are paper weight.
Never believe those never use Mint say anything.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

sammiev wrote:I play with a lot of different Linux dist.

LinuxMint is usually bug free with the friendliness folks to help.
Hmmm....I still feel the draw of Arch occasionally...

I wonder just how much of a Glutton for Punishment I really am...

http://www.nutyx.org/en/
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Interesting to have a FUD sample inside a thread against FUD. :?
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

karlchen wrote:Interesting to have a FUD sample inside a thread against FUD. :?
Make a comment about a PKGBUILD on the Arch forum and see how fast it bites you in the :shock:ss
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”