[SOLVED] Intel-microcode

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
looren
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Intel-microcode

Post by looren »

Hey !

I just installed the "Intel-microcode" package, but I'm a bit confused. Does this install the latest microcode when installed, or do I need to do something after the package has been installed? I've checked the update manager but nothing there.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Intel-microcode

Post by Pjotr »

You don't need to do anything after you've installed it. Except for a reboot, that is. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You installed it and that's all; you should be able to see it in your driver manager after the next restart. Here's mine:
drivermanager.jpg

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
looren
Level 2
Level 2

Post by looren »

Oh, nice ! :)

And when there is new microcode released, do I have to go into the driver manager and do anything or is this done automatically?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I assume that it will be shown in the Update Manager again. Just like this time.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

looren wrote:Oh, nice ! :)

And when there is new microcode released, do I have to go into the driver manager and do anything or is this done automatically?
You'll get to see that as a level 4 update in Update Manager (level 5 in Mint 17.x).
looren
Level 2
Level 2

Post by looren »

Ah, excellent

Thank you for the info ! Cheers !
looren
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Intel-microcode

Post by looren »

Just a quick follow up here;

How does updating the microcode relate to the Spectre bug? Will it solve the issue, or are there any further steps that needs to be taken?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Several measures, on several levels, are needed to fix/mitigate/contain these vulnerabilities...
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ looren, .......
looren wrote:Just a quick follow up here;

How does updating the microcode relate to the Spectre bug? Will it solve the issue, or are there any further steps that needs to be taken?
On my 32bit LM 17.3 box running an Intel Core2Duo processor, the Intel microcode 20180108 update appeared only in Synaptic Package Manager, ie not in Update Manager or Driver Manager.

Intel send the Intel microcode 20180108 update for Linux systems to nearly all Intel processors even though it applies to only a subset of processors. In the case of microcode 20180108, it applies to only Intel processors that are not more than 5 years old, ie for 3rd-gen Ivytown(= Xeon) and 4th-gen Haswell and newer. It does not apply to Intel 3rd-gen Ivybridge and older processors, even though they may also install it.
... It is the users' responsibility to verify the applicability of the microcode update which can be "dangerous" or risky to the operating system.

There is Spectre 1 (CVE-2017-5753) and Spectre 2 (CVE-2017-5715) vulnerabilities. Spectre 2 requires both OS kernel and CPU to be patched. As of now, Ubuntu's Linux kernels have not been patched for Spectre 2.
... For relevant news, please refer to ... http://news.softpedia.com/news/canonica ... 9359.shtml (Canonical Says It'll Release New Ubuntu Kernels to Further Mitigate Spectre Bugs - dated 12 Jan 2018)

Spectre 1 requires OS kernel or apps(eg browsers) to be patched. As of now, Ubuntu's Linux kernels have not been patched.

In comparison, Windows kernels have been patched for Spectre 1 and Spectre 2 since 4 Jan 2018.
CPU patching for Windows is through BIOS firmware updates while for Linux it can be done through microcode software updates. Preference is through BIOS firmware update. ... https://wiki.debian.org/Microcode
looren
Level 2
Level 2

Post by looren »

I'll just have to sit back and relax until there's a new kernel update then, and hope its been fixed.

Thanks again for clarifying !

Return to “Hardware Support”