No sound through HDMI..

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vaughn74

No sound through HDMI..

Post by Vaughn74 »

Hello, I'm new to Linux OS and this community. I recently installed the latest Cinnamon edition however, I had to downgraded to XFCE due to a graphical rendering prompt. I am only running the integrated graphics (Intel UHD Graphics 630) on a I3-8100. More to the point, I'm running this HTPC on my TV and when connecting through HDMI I don't get any sound; only video. I've adjusted all the bars in alsamixer to the middle, and played around in pulse audio, trying all the profiles in the configuration tab. All the HDMI profiles say they're unplugged.. When I load audio through youtube I can see the sound bar fluctuate in the output device tab.

I've also entered my BIOS setup and in the peripherals section set my initial display output to IGFX. As well under my Chipset menu enabled my audio controller for onboard audio function.

If anyone could help me through this it would be much appreciated. If any info is needed through terminal I could retreive that, though I'm not familiar with the language
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Re: No sound through HDMI..

Post by jsb »

Have you tried fiddling around on the "output devices" tab of pulse audio?

I do not know what I did, but I think when I had that problem I had to do something with output devices to select or turn on sound via HDMI.
Vaughn74

Post by Vaughn74 »

Yeah I've been fiddling around with what I can but there isn't a lot of options under the output tab. PORT: only gives me one option, Digital Out (S/PDIF). The only way I've managed to get sound is by hooking up an audio cable from the computer to the audio in port on the TV, however, the audio only comes through when I then unplug the HDMI. I can't seem to get video and audio at the same time, and not from just the HDMI cable alone :?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

You have to change your sound setting from the analog to the HDMI setting. Right now I'm using analog speakers, but when I use HDMI on another monitor, I switch to the HDMI settings. This is from MATE desktop.
soundsetting.png
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Vaughn74

Post by Vaughn74 »

I don't seem to have as many options on XFCE as you have..
config.png
output.png
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

tried that digital output option?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Vaughn74

Post by Vaughn74 »

Spearmint2 wrote:tried that digital output option?
Are you referring to the first image of the digital output profiles? Yes, I've worked my way through the list and doubled back to the output tab for each with no luck.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

when you tried alsamixer, did you press the F6 choice to see if HDMI was available there? You may be using a kernel that doesn't have that in it.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/setup-hd ... -in-linux/

https://itsfoss.com/how-to-fix-no-sound ... in-ubuntu/
Vaughn74

Post by Vaughn74 »

Spearmint2 wrote:when you tried alsamixer, did you press the F6 choice to see if HDMI was available there? You may be using a kernel that doesn't have that in it.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/setup-hd ... -in-linux/

https://itsfoss.com/how-to-fix-no-sound ... in-ubuntu/
F6 under alsamixer gives me this:
alsa.png
I followed the intructions in both those links and had no success. creating the file 'asoundrc-hdmi' in my home folder with the script didn't seem to do anything. Was it suppose to be an ordinary text file, or change the ext. to .cfg or anything?

Thanks for all the help by the way
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

My understanding is it must be in the kernel. If it's not, then it has to be added using modprobe command, or easier is to just get a newer kernel which does have it already in it as a mod. If I was in your situation, especially considering the Meltdown and Spectre threats, I'd get a newer kernel. Let's see what you are running as a kernel and audio capability now.

Code: Select all

inxi -F
also check this to see if HDMI is available.

aplay -l
that's a small L, not a numeral 1.

open Package Manager, install pavucontrol. Try this.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... arch-linux

another;

http://jaysdesktop.blogspot.com/2011/10 ... -1004.html
Vaughn74

Post by Vaughn74 »

I installed Mate desktop last night to see if my luck would be any different, and unfortunately it wasn't. Though I have more controls with audio now through MATEs sound options, which are now similar to yours.

I've had pavucontrol installed and reinstalled with MATE and fiddle with the settings with no luck as mentioned above. I'm not sure about that first link you sent, the

pacman -Sy pavucontrol
code just opened up a game of pacman :lol: . The second link went through steps involving Nvidia graphics card which I don't have so I couldn't really follow the code inputs.

Heres inxi and aplay..
infi-f.png
aplay.png
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I'm not sure about that first link you sent, the
pacman -Sy pavucontrol
code just opened up a game of pacman
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman

sorry, thought you'd recognize that was a different command for a package manager. in MATE it's called Package Manager on the Menu. If opened from terminal you use

gksudo synaptic
you can put pavucontrol in the search box, then install it. I had no trouble with HDMI in MATE that I recall. My sound chip is;

HDA ATI SB
Chip: Realtek ALC889A

You can run several commands to discover your sound chip.

lsusb
lspci
inxi -A
Vaughn74

Post by Vaughn74 »

I ran through that second article you had posted, with mention of the sound test and utility

speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D hw:2,7
and trying different numbers in accordance with aplay -L. I wasn't able to hear any noise however
audio.png
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I see two bug reports on HDA Intel PCH sound chip when using xenial based distros, those based on Ubuntu 16.04

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1564252

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1613505

You can try this, but probably easier to use your text editor (pluma, nemo) instead of nano to enter the line, and "save as" the file name alsa-base.conf

https://askubuntu.com/questions/278503/ ... -intel-pch
I had this same problem on my Asus K55A laptop, and I fixed it by doing the following:

open terminal and:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
at the end of the script add this line:

options snd-hda-intel model=pch position_fix=1
ctrl+x to exit

When you try to exit it will ask yout to save, enter "Y" then "Enter"
It will then ask you what file name you want to save it as, Do Not Change It!! Just hit "Enter"
Restart your machine and you should be good to go!!
To see what you have for Intel HDA PCM run this command;

modinfo snd-hda-intel
these are the depends for it.

depends:  snd-hda-codec,snd-pcm,snd,snd-page-alloc
You can check to see if it's in your kernel

lsmod | grep intel
Vaughn74

Post by Vaughn74 »

I think it looks okay, but then again I have no idea what any of this means :lol:
Screenshot at 2018-01-15 22-25-16.png
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Everything you need is there. Odd. Open alsamixer and unmute everything and run the levels up. Also remember, you need to use the arrow key going all the way to the right, because there are some levels past the edge of terminal window perhaps.

I know HDMI can be a bit squirrely even in windows too, and often requires unplugging HDMI cord from TV, turn TV off, put HDMI cord back in TV and then turn it back on. It sounds stupid to do, but some TV's (probably monitors too) will then reinitialize and whatever was missing, video or sound then works OK.
Vaughn74

Post by Vaughn74 »

Checked alsamixer adjusters for the one offscreen on the far right. Tried plugging HDMI in again to reinitialize. I've tried all versions of MINT and have had the same issue. I was able to get sound with Solus but ran into a problem with bootloader. Elementary OS has same sound issue as well. I don't know what to do, Need sound for an HTPC. Anyone know if this same problem is present if running through a displayport cable?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

This is what I have for alsa on my MATE 17.3 system, and it works for HDMI.
Also what I have for audio and kernel used. Maybe a newer version of alsa-base like the latest 1.1.5 version would help you.

~ $ inxi -v1 -A
System:    Host: mint16 Kernel: 3.13.0-139-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: MATE 1.12.0
           Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
CPU:       Single core AMD Sempron 140 (-UP-) speed: 2700 MHz (max)
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS780 [Radeon HD 3200]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@59.9hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS780 HDMI Audio [Radeon (HD) 3000 Series]
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.13.0-139-generic
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1250.3GB (6.8% used)
Info:      Processes: 157 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 731.1/3523.1MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.28
Alsa_files.png

~ $ aptitude show alsa-base
Package: alsa-base                       
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Multi-Arch: foreign
Version: 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu4
Priority: optional
Section: sound
Maintainer: Ubuntu Core Developers <ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: all
Uncompressed Size: 514 k
Depends: module-init-tools (>= 3.2.1), linux-sound-base, udev
Recommends: alsa-utils
Suggests: apmd (>= 3.0.2-1), alsa-oss, oss-compat
Provides: alsa
Description: ALSA driver configuration files
 This package contains various configuration files for the ALSA drivers. 

For ALSA to work on a system with a given sound card, there must be an ALSA driver for that card in the kernel. Linux 2.6 as shipped in linux-image
 packages contains ALSA drivers for all supported sound cards in the form of loadable modules. A custom alsa-modules package can be built from the
 sources in the alsa-source package using the m-a utility (included in the module-assistant package). Please read the README.Debian file for more
 information about loading and building modules. 

ALSA is the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture.
Homepage: http://www.alsa-project.org/
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

I wouldn't know what to look for, but since it worked in Solus, perhaps a comparison of the included packages between that and Mint might provide a clue?
https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resou ... llpackages

FWIW, I have HDMI working on two machines. One is running Mint 18.1 XFCE and the other is running Peppermint 5.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

If the above didn't help, all I can suggest is see what kernel used is working on those other computers, or try different kernels till you find one that works. I really think you should try the ALSA fix though, especially the newest 1.1.5 version.

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad ... oting#HDMI

Return to “Beginner Questions”