Can't copy files into Windows 10 in VB

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pat D

Can't copy files into Windows 10 in VB

Post by Pat D »

I have Windows 10 running in VB
Clipboard and Drag n Drop are set as Bi-directional but neither works.
All I want this for is to load my iPod again - but Win 10 won't give me administrator rights via any of the methods I've looked up - which means I can't add any tunes to iTunes.

Anybody know how I can do this? Is there a setting I missed during install?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Can't copy files into Windows 10 in VB

Post by jimallyn »

Have you installed the Guest Additions?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Yes, I have.
I can even "drag n drop" but the operation soon fails with a greyed out error message.
Trying to copy -to-and-from the clipboard, which is enabled as "Bidirectional" has paste greyed out.
If I map a network drive from to the guest, I end up in a quagmire of permissions.
As best I can tell, there's no reason for this. And in the past, on different machines, with older software, the same files, there's been no issues. Is it about Windows 10?
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

I have also discussed this thoroughly with my newly acquired Rubber Duck.
No success as yet.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

I've just tried Windows 7 in another Vm (with Guest Eds) and I'm running into the same rights/permissions problems.

I need some direction here. Not seeing it.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Not a problem if the computer is connected to a router. You set up sharing on the linux and the windows and then both can see the shared folders on each system and move files to and from those folders. Each system has it's own DHCP assigned IP address. The only downside is it all is done at router speed, which often is slower than direct folder to folder on a computer alone.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pat D wrote:I have also discussed this thoroughly with my newly acquired Rubber Duck.
No success as yet.
lol
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pat D wrote:I need some direction here. Not seeing it.
What version and edition of Mint are you using?
How was vbox installed?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Virtual Machines”