Unable to set up Samba networking - need fresh start

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
autumnleaves

Re: Unable to set up Samba networking - need fresh start

Post by autumnleaves »

As it turns out, even though samba installed without error messages on Troy, there is no /etc/samba directory on that machine either.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Your problems are bigger than samba if you can't even install the package. Are these new installs?

If it were me I would reinstall the operating system or move on to Ubuntu or something in the Ubuntu family like Xubuntu.

I don't have an answer for this new twist in your problem I'm afraid.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

Troy is a 17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit (2.8.8 with 4.4.0-109-generic kernel) that has been running for a few years. Mycenae is at 18.3 Cinnamon with updated kernel that was recently imaged and cloned on a new partition. I rebuilt the swap file by hand. But the network problem (and slow booting on Mycenae) date from long before the reinstall. I thought that the new drive might fix the slow boot.
Thanks very much for your insights. I do appreciate your efforts. I'll give the Ubuntu idea some thought. Or perhaps NFS?
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

Correction: Mycenae is 18.2
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You can try SSH:

Install ssh on Mycenae:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install ssh
Connect to it from Troy:

Code: Select all

nemo ssh://priam@mycenae.local
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

As it turns out one of my neighbours has experience maintaining huge networks on linux, so he volunteered to look at the problem. Eventually by purging samba-common before reinstalling he was able to reinstate the /etc/samba directory and obtain a complete install. If I again manage to create a rats nest trying to set up the samba shares I will consider the alternative. Much obliged again for your time and effort.
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

You're probably tired of this by now, as I know I'm getting pretty exasperated. The last experiment ended in disaster, when with the newly reinstalled Samba I created shares using system-config-samba on Mycenae. As soon as I hit the button one of my drives disappeared. Rebooting did not bring it back, so I created an ubuntu boot DVD and still cannot see the drive with Ubuntu. Gparted shows it as unallocated space. I found a utility called testdisk, which appears to have copied most of the contents from the lost partition to another drive after a first attempt to restore the partition failed. I'm giving the restore partition function another shot to see if I can fare better on second try.
At this point, I wonder if Samba shouldn't be renamed "Twist" (as in Chubby Checker).
When I first started using computers in about 1984, I was a regular visitor to a local geek store. The staff there used to joke that whenever I entered the store a computer would break down. Maybe it wasn't a joke.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I don't quite see the connection from Samba to a failed disk.

Return to “Networking”