[SOLVED] Few glitches since updates?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Few glitches since updates?

Post by Fuzzy »

I've had a couple odd issues pop up since the last updates (or was it since I uninstalled Cinnamon?)

Nothing big, but wondering if others had experienced anything similar.

1. My default Terminal settings (color/transparency) were reset to default
2. Sometimes, when I click my Mate menu - and if I have windows maximized at the time - the menu will appear behind the maximized window. There's no indication the click even registered, so it took me a while to realize what was going on. If I minimize all windows, then the menu is just sitting there, already opened and ready.

I only installed level 1 updates, but I had bunches of them the other day, and again the following day. I'm pretty sure the terminal setting issue showed up immediately afterwards. However, realizing I shouldn't have ever installed the Cinnamon option last year, I uninstalled Cinnamon. I've since noticed the Menu problem - but since the updates occurred in the same week that I uninstalled Cinnamon - I can't be sure which caused the Menu issue.

I've been pretty lucky in that I am usually careful on what I install/uninstall, and I've never had anything like this happen before.

I also have questions about some of the "Level 3" security updates. I'd really like to install security updates, but I usually don't install anything higher than level 2 updates. What are your thoughts on Level 3 updates?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Few glitches since updates?

Post by Pjotr »

Fuzzy wrote:(or was it since I uninstalled Cinnamon?)
That's probably the cause. Don't mix desktop environments:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... vironments
(item 5, left column)

The best solution is to perform a clean re-installation of Linux Mint Mate. Only then you'll have a reliable system again.
I also have questions about some of the "Level 3" security updates. I'd really like to install security updates, but I usually don't install anything higher than level 2 updates. What are your thoughts on Level 3 updates?
Always install all level 1-3 updates. As a matter of course. With only one exception; more about that later.

The level system has been designed to protect you from potential regressions (defective updates) that would make your system unusable. No defective level 1-3 update should ever be able to kill your system.

So even if there would be a "bad apple" among the level 1-3 updates, the damage would be limited. And temporary, because a fix usually will arrive shortly.

It's only level 4 and 5 that carry showstopper risks. Note that even for level 4 and 5 those risks are small: all updates are being tested before they're being released.

Note: there's currently an important exception to what I've outlined above. Don't install updates for closed non-free Nvidia drivers, even if they're labeled as level 3.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Few glitches since updates?

Post by Fuzzy »

Thanks, Pjotr!

Unfortunately, as per the "Don't mix desktop environments" stuff - yeah, I read that link right after having installed Cinnamon...so then I was sorta stuck. Sounds like I would have been better off just leaving Cinnamon (unused) instead of uninstalling it, but I didn't want to keep junking up my system with updates, etc. - which is why I finally uninstalled it.

Overall, though - the computer is still running fine - I had just noticed those two issues so far. Is it safe to continue using my system "as-is" (Meaning...is there a chance security issues are present now that I uninstalled the second desktop environment, or is stability/consistency the main potential issue?)
The best solution is to perform a clean re-installation of Linux Mint Mate. Only then you'll have a reliable system again.
Is there no way to simply perform some type of file verification on the existing installation?

(Thanks for the insight and suggestions, I'm trying my best to get up to speed on using Mint in a more serious way...so please forgive any newbie-type questions.)

Thanks for the answer on level 3 updates!
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Few glitches since updates?

Post by Fuzzy »

Resolved by reloading as suggested.

Return to “LMDE Archive”