Linux Mint 6 KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 6 KDE released!

Post by clem »

On behalf of the team I am thrilled to announce the release of Linux Mint 6 KDE. Congratulations to Jamie Boo Birse, maintainer of this edition, for the integration of a fantastic KDE4 desktop and the excellent work he’s done for this release. This edition is based on Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex, Linux 2.6.27, Xorg 7.4 [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=731

Clem.
Jay514

Re: Linux Mint 6 KDE released!

Post by Jay514 »

Just wanted to know WHY is this a CE release instead of an mainstream edition ? Is their a desktop pref reason or what ? I use both Linux Mint 6 Editions , Gnome & KDE . Could someone please let me know? Thanks.. :?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Community editions or "CEs" are editions of Linux Mint which are maintained to offer a wider selection of desktops and to satisfy particular needs within the community. They are maintained, developed, tested and released in the exact same manner and with the exact same level of quality as the main editions of Linux Mint. The differences between main and community editions are:

* CE maintainers are not paid and do not receive an income, so the focus is usually greater on main editions
* CEs synchronize their releases and include the latest innovations from the main editions, so they are traditionally released at a later stage
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

This is great news. Many thanks to boo & everyone involved with this.
hoppy785

Post by hoppy785 »

do the people with the rc already installed need to do a fresh install or is there an update for the final version?
phoenixrising

Post by phoenixrising »

I'm happy that the wait for the final release is finally over -- but I'm still waiting for the download to finish! :(

A ton of thanks to boo and the team!
phoenixrising

Post by phoenixrising »

Just a question -- why does this artwork-wise look different from the other editions (i.e. KDE 4.2 default wallpaper and artworks, rather than Mint Artwork) whereas other Community editions e.g. Fluxbox or XFCE has the regular Mint artwork? Any particular reasons?
AfterEight

Post by AfterEight »

Cheers Boo, and Clem, and the team....

I have downloaded the iso from the UK server and also seeding the torrent file. [ Will seed for a long time ]
Been looking forward to this for a while.
Thank you.

Quick question though, can I upgrade to Mint 6 KDE from 5 KDE ?

AfterEight
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

No you cant upgrade from mint 5 kde.
it is too big a change from kde3 to kde4

boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Boo, aryonoco: Are the broken dependencies due to the PPA repository being disabled by default?

hoppy785: Release notes --> http://linuxmint.com/rel_felicia_kde.php
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

clem yes.
KDE4 comes from the ppa repos so the ubuntu KDE4 packages can cause problems.
It is best to enable the ppa repos and update.
It will also fix the addition of kmail.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Steely

Post by Steely »

Hi

Boo did you include the key for the amarok 2 ppa ? ppa for kde 4 works fine but error that the key is not available for the amarok ppa.

Thanks

Dale
col. panic

Post by col. panic »

I had read that Mint 6 will have a clean upgrade path to future versions. Is this true? (Downloading now! :D )
deki999

Post by deki999 »

hoppy785 wrote:do the people with the rc already installed need to do a fresh install or is there an update for the final version?
Please, somebody answer this.
I'm interested too!

Thanks
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

aryonoco: It's the Kubuntu and Amarok PPA repos.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

aryonoco wrote:
deki999 wrote:
hoppy785 wrote:do the people with the rc already installed need to do a fresh install or is there an update for the final version?
Please, somebody answer this.
I'm interested too!

Thanks
Here is what the release note says:
To upgrade from Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1, enable the "dist-upgrade" option in mintUpdate, and upgrade all level 1 packages. Make sure to have the latest version of the mint-meta-kde package.
I did it and it didn't show the upgrade package. I used Synaptic to install the mint-meta-kde package, and then went back to Mint Update and tried again, but it still didn't list any distribution upgrade package or any package. It just said I was up to date. I am sure I haven't done this upgrade already, because the "dist upgrade" box was previously unchecked.
mikesol

Post by mikesol »

Hello,

This release is for 32 or 64 bits?

Thanks
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

WildSioux wrote:
big_dog1968 wrote:I did it and it didn't show the upgrade package. I used Synaptic to install the mint-meta-kde package, and then went back to Mint Update and tried again, but it still didn't list any distribution upgrade package or any package. It just said I was up to date. I am sure I haven't done this upgrade already, because the "dist upgrade" box was previously unchecked.
I did the same thing you did through synaptic and checked the "dist-upgrade box in mintupdate. Refreshed, but it said my system is up to date (Mint6 KDE RC1). So I rebooted my computer and now I am unable to get past the login screen. I enter my password and it acts like it is going to login, flashes the mouse wait cursor, black/blank screen then back to the longin prompt. I tried everything, shutdown and did a restart from off...nothing. Tried the failsafe boot in grub...still nothing.

I am currently searching these forums of how to get past the login screen.

Also, when I installed the "mint-meta-kde" package in synaptic it also installed some mint artwork for KDE. Now when I get the GRUB option menu to choose Mint6, Mint6 failsafe, Memtest, or XP the Mint logo and the Help text is "GREEN." Now I know this is Mint and it is green. But I actually prefer the blue which the RC1 HAD. How to change...errr, for now I will be happy just to get past the login screen.

Darn, does this mean I have to boot in to XP and download the Mint6 ISO and do a fresh install. I have almost forgot that I even had XP on the other partition. Mint6 KDE is that GOOD!!!
Same thing happened when I rebooted. I had to log into the console and then type startx. No password reset was necessary for me.

Obviously something went wrong. If what we did was not what the instructions called for then someone needs to change the documentation, because it sure looked to me like we did what it said.
hoppy785

Post by hoppy785 »

i agree with the posters above... the upgrade instructions seem to have broke my login as well as change the grub icons to green... please help us, i dont want to have to reinstall my system.
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

Clem , thanks for the reply. Boo & all who worked on this Distro Thanks. I've been running the RC1 Release & had A few Probs with it, so I wiped it from my HD & installed this release , a little hard on a dual boot Install , But this Nubie got it running & so far so good.
Really nice features, thanks to All again ! :mrgreen:

Return to “Releases & Announcements”