Epson printers, 'Print test page' only print blank pages

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Glasshane
Level 1
Level 1

Epson printers, 'Print test page' only print blank pages

Post by Glasshane »

Hi everybody!

I am in the process of migrating to Linux Mint after approx. 200 years experience with Windows. I have installed it and have used it for a couple of days. The Cinnamon GUI is nice and easy and ordinary user program (e-mail, browsers etv) works as expected. However, I am struggling to get my Epson XP-205 to work.

I am running Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit on an Aces laptop:

Linux arild-Aspire-5742G 4.13.0-26-generic #29~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 9 22:00:44 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

So far I have simply: Plugged in the printer on USB. The printer and/or the OS then goes away and find drivers (!). I click on the install options and things look great. After the installation, I click on printer properties, which says: EPSON XP-205 207 Series (!!). This is indeed how one would expect an OS to be in order for a non-nerdy user to be able to us it. However, when I click 'print test page', it only prints a blank page....

I have found numerous messages about Epson printer problems on this forum, but most of the suggestions seem to involve a bunch of pretty hairy commandline exercises some of whom just generates error messages which generates more questions. Me, I dont even know how to be 'root' (sudo? - a billion parameters to choose from). The ugly eye of Unix......

I dont know wehere to start. What do I need to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClixTrix

Re: Epson printers, 'Print test page' only print blank pages

Post by ClixTrix »

With Epson printers, you normally download the drivers and utilities from Epson.

If you go to this link, and enter your printer name, e.g. xp-205, and select Linux for Operating System from the drop-down list, it should take you to a page for downloads. If that is an All-In-One, you should see 3-4 downloads, driver (full and generic, I would pick full), utility, and an all-in-one package. As you select, make sure you download the debian (deb) and AMD64 version for each download. Mint is a debian package-management-type distro and you've installed the AMD/x64 based version.

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/

To just get the printer installed, locate the downloaded file for driver from Nemo (that's the Linux file manager that's available clicking the green folder on the lower panel) and double-click on the file. That will launch the Debian package installer. Hopefully, the correct printer driver will install and you should be able to add the printer using Printers utility from Menu - Administration.

The other packages need more steps and probably have some more complex requirements for scanner, etc. But, let's see if getting the printer running works first.
Glasshane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Glasshane »

Hi and thank you for your reply.

First question: Where does the system/printer find the drivers (automatically) when you connect he printer? Aren't these drivers from Epson?

Anyway, I had already tried your suggested way of doing it, before I posted anything here, but nothing was ever installed. I dont remember exactly what happended when I tried it, but I probably did something wrong due to my limited knowledge to Linux.

When I try it now, I get as far as downloading the AMD64 package from the Epson page, start the filesystem utility, find the package in the download directory. It is a 'tar' file and when I doubleclick it, is unpacks and creates 3 directories. However, no installer is ever launched.

So, I am probably still doing somehing wrong :o(
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I went to the site and did the search for XP-205. I do see the 4 downloads.

The top one is the full driver (ESC/P). It's downloaded file name for amd64 is....

epson-inkjet-printer-201202w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb <---- I would try this driver and launch install by double-click on file in download.

The next one down is the Generic driver (ESC/P-R) . It's downloaded file name for amd64 is....

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.18-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

I've had the most success with the Generic driver and for my Epson the Full isn't offered. The generic does appear to cover most Epsons. You can see that list during the selection process. The full driver appears to be targeted to certain models only, e.g. the XP-205/207 series and probably does include more functionality. That's why I suggested it for your printer.

Since you connected the printer USB, I'm assuming it detected and provided USB firmware so that a driver setup can go forward. I don't believe an Epson driver is provided with the Mint install.

FYI...I have an Epson WF-2760.

The other two packages are a utility with .deb and the all-in-one, which is tar.gz. That all-in-one is the scanner package and there is a manual for download. Yes, it is a packed file and should unpack. However, as per above, it's not the print driver.

One thing I did want to ask.....did you test the print nozzles from the printer console to make sure you're getting ink? I have had a few bad Epsons straight from the box with print problems.
Glasshane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Glasshane »

Hi again,

Tried the generic (epson-inkjet-printer-201202w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb) package. And this one does install - and appearently without any error-messages. However, it still only spits out empty test-pages when launched from Adminstration -> printers -> doubleclick -> print test page.

Yes, it is loaded with ink, and the utility actually agree that it is.

No, the printer is not new to me - I have had it for about 10 years and it does work under Windows 10 (I have a dual boot system).
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Once the driver is installed, you add the printer using Menu - Administration - Printers, per original post. If you find the printer already installed, it probably needs to be deleted and re-added to associate with the new/correct driver.....as simplest method.

EDIT: FYI.....Epson has manuals here including step-by-step install.

http://download.ebz.epson.net/man/linux/

Note, normal is to install driver before CUPS install using Printers for Mint.

This is the correct manual for printer install with that Full driver.

http://download.ebz.epson.net/man/linux/escp.html
Glasshane
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Epson printers, 'Print test page' only print blank pages -SOLVED

Post by Glasshane »

Hello again,

Deleting the printer and adding it again, did the trick. Sooooo simple......

Thank you very much for your efforts.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

You're Welcome. The documentation at the Epson site and in the download package can help explain how to install the Scanner. If you need any help, post back with questions.
ajayprajapati

Post by ajayprajapati »

Hi Glasshane,
I had the same issue in past. But have you try printing page by using online tools like the printer test page. Try it once you will definitely get the solution.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”