All these Level 4 updates lately ...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

All these Level 4 updates lately ...

Post by Pepi »

I'm running Kernel: 4.4.0-112 on my HP eng workstation due to 4.13 not working well. How do you guys know if you should do all these level 4 updates? Like the first one in my screenshot is for a lot of wireless fixes. My computer isn't wireless so should I blacklist it or just go ahead and install it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: All these Level 4 updates lately ...

Post by Pepi »

I see I'm not the only one confused about this. I think from now on if the level 4 is not 'flagged' as a security update I'm going to 'Blacklist' it
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I would not blacklist ndiswrapper, I would uninstall it

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge ndiswrapper
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

Yes I'm having similar conundrums, I have a level 4 kernel update there for the latest 4.13, but have read how it may not go so good, on the other hand I have update manager flagged to not show level 4, but, because of all this hullaballoo about a sceptre meltdown I think they are pushing these to us, but, is it safe to install if some have problems, anyway for me it is sitting there not installed until I have proof that it is ok.
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Don't be scared of Updates...this isn't Windows. In 18 mths of running Linux Mint I've only had two bad Kernels...it's just a matter of a Rollback to fix it...then install the new one and the bugs should be fixed...as for level 1-4 Updates I've never had a problem.

As for level 4 Updates I create a Restore Point with Timeshift...just in case something goes wrong. I have installed all the Updates that were available today including the two level 4 and everything works fine...it's most important to have your System up to date. :)
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

no worries, thanks for that, went ahead with the latest 4.13 kernel install, all good, Cheers :)
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

JeremyB wrote:I would not blacklist ndiswrapper, I would uninstall it
Why? Does it cause problems? Doesn't it come with LM by default? (Asked out of curiosity. I know nothing about ndiswrapper except I read its main purpose is to allow Ubuntu/Mint to use Windows drivers for wifi cards if one is not available from Linux).
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... diswrapper
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Superannuated wrote:
JeremyB wrote:I would not blacklist ndiswrapper, I would uninstall it
Why? Does it cause problems? Doesn't it come with LM by default? (Asked out of curiosity. I know nothing about ndiswrapper except I read its main purpose is to allow Ubuntu/Mint to use Windows drivers for wifi cards if one is not available from Linux).
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... diswrapper
It doesn't perform well and can use only Win XP drivers
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

The problem with ignoring updates for things you never use, is that you may not use them, but other packages may; this in my experience is frustratingly common in Mint, or at least Mint with Cinnamon. Therefore, I'd agree with JermeyB, regarding just uninstalling what you don't need or use.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Dragon_Chaser

Post by Dragon_Chaser »

What about updates for software I don't even have installed?
I am getting update notifications for Chrome Browser, even though I don't have that browser on my computer.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Dragon_Chaser wrote:I am getting update notifications for Chrome Browser, even though I don't have that browser on my computer.
There are probably packages installed that are used in Mint and also would be used in Chrome if you had it. In fact, are you sure they're not packages for Chromium? Mint uses some codecs, I think, that get updates and have Chromium in the name.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Dragon_Chaser

Post by Dragon_Chaser »

Thanks for the info.

It says "chromium-browser" in the Update Manager.
Packages included in this update: chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

It doesn't hurt to update something that is on your system even if you don't use it. It doesn't hurt to uninstall a high level application that you don't use (i.e., ndiswrapper) if your system works without it. You can get into trouble if you uninstall a foundational program (such as a programming or scripting language) that is necessary to operate Linux.

Never be afraid to ask about something and to learn about that thing's purpose or impact of getting rid of it. Never be afraid to ask about installing, updating, or deleting anything. We all learn from that, even the wisest ones.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

here we go again, another update to the 4.13 kernel, only just did one. not keen on this, why do they make the level 4 update visible when i have level 4 updates unticked?
I don't want to have to update kernels every five minutes :(
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

beachgardener wrote:I don't want to have to update kernels every five minutes :(
And you don't. If you are sure that you are running a kernel that's patched against Meltdown, you can decline further kernel updates by rightclicking them and choosing 'Ignore updates for this package'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

a kernel that's patched against Meltdown
and how do we know if this is another patch for the sceptre meltdown? It doesn't say so.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

beachgardener wrote:
a kernel that's patched against Meltdown
and how do we know if this is another patch for the sceptre meltdown? It doesn't say so.
There's a very nice tab that says: Changelog.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

There's a very nice tab that says: Changelog.
yes I'm well aware of that, as I said, how does one knoww when it is gobble gook, quote below

now as far as we where told it was patched in a previous update, so why am I still getting level 4 when i have it unticked?
also it says Jan 23, but not come through until Jan 26
inux-hwe (4.13.0-32.35~16.04.1) xenial; urgency=low

* CVE-2017-5715 // CVE-2017-5753
- SAUCE: x86/entry: Fix up retpoline assembler labels

-- Stefan Bader <stefan.bader@canonical.com> Tue, 23 Jan 2018 09:13:39 +0100
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

beachgardener wrote:yes I'm well aware of that, as I said, how does one knoww when it is gobble gook, quote below

* CVE-2017-5715 // CVE-2017-5753
- SAUCE: x86/entry: Fix up retpoline assembler labels
...also it says Jan 23, but not come through until Jan 26
Because they do need to first test internally the updates before applying them en mass in millions of computers...
...so why am I still getting level 4 when i have it unticked?
Most likely you must have set Update Manager to 'Always show Security Updates'... (Edit - Preferences - Options...)
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

ok so look up cve number, did not know about that,had you mentioned that I would have looked it up. thanks for that.

so for those who like me where in the dark about this, in the change log in the update manage for this update there is a cve number, internet search those numbers to gain information
example: https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-5715
Modified
This vulnerability has been modified since it was last analyzed by the NVD. It is awaiting reanalysis which may result in further changes to the information provided.
Current Description
Systems with microprocessors utilizing speculative execution and indirect branch prediction may allow unauthorized disclosure of information to an attacker with local user access via a side-channel analysis.
well I hope they have it sorted soon

Return to “Beginner Questions”