How to Install DaVinci Resolve with Terminal

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Palladini921

How to Install DaVinci Resolve with Terminal

Post by Palladini921 »

I have downloaded and extracted DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.sh to my desktop and want to install it, but when I double click on the Icon, it gives a choice and I choose run in Terminal, it opens a Terminal and the last thing I see as it closes down, is I need to sign in to run it. So want to know how to open a Terminal and run it when it is installed on my desktop
[rimg]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmuSV7uCiSQNmWxQd6KnCk0WQu54[/img]

My OS is Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon - https://gist.github.com/anonymous/7557d ... 67ebd62fda
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to Install DaVinci Resolve with Terminal

Post by catweazel »

sh DaVinci-Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.sh
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

sh: 0: Can't open DaVinci-Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.sh

That is what I get back, But I did make a Mistake in the first post, between all words is the _ not the - I corrected that and retyped the command and it returns
sh: 0: Can't open DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.sh
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Palladini921 wrote:sh: 0: Can't open DaVinci-Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.sh

That is what I get back, But I did make a Mistake in the first post, between all words is the _ not the - I corrected that and retyped the command and it returns
sh: 0: Can't open DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.sh
The shcommand I gave you is correct so check the name of the file. Also make sure it's executable using chmod +x <filename>. You also need to be in the folder where it's stored, so make sure you cd /<path>, or you need to specify the full path to the file from wherever you're trying to set its execute bit and/or execute it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

I am still confused, I tried to use -t to get it pointed at the desktop and it still will not work
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

If the file is on your desktop, move it to your home directory. Your terminal should open in your home directory by default.
Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

I re-download the file, put it in my home folder typed
sh DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.zip
And it returned this - DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.zip: 1: DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.zip: PKO7L�x�X
�DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.shUT y�fZt�fZux
��[yw�H����5�c�a1��$v�3H�46~���ϱ�T��B��3����~�Viaq�����*ݺu���?��6q�Z47�,�s7���X��H̤/C+��H"ן�+�QFқ�F��Z7��������5����,����p�"�Q,̵)�¿�\���/ǯ_S�0��v�,�f�qvr������4�:gMSN��많<��9��9�i���y֨�M޾�L-�_�
�q��?uz��f-^,�������S�i���y!��c���gM��4: not found
DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.zip: 1: DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.zip: cannot open +v_�X��5�����4�5W��F�t�: No such file
DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.zip: 1: DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.zip: �G׷]1�Q�=I�����: not found
DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.zip: 2: DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.zip: cannot open �X3��3���Uя���Wp�5
�H?�: No such file
ϵ���p�: not found2.1_Linux.zip: 2: DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.zip: gQ�4
DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.zip: 2: DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.zip: �d: not found
DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.zip: 3: DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.zip: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

I'm sorry, but that's twice you've not followed instructions, which makes everything very difficult for the people trying to help you. Every time you don't follow the instructions you need to be asked over again what exactly you did and didn't do this time around.

I downloaded the 474MB file and sh DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.sh worked fine for me. So, perhaps you might try extracting the .sh file from the .zip archive.

Cheers.
Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

This script is supposed to be run as the root user.
Please login as the root user and run this script again.

These are the last two lines on the Terminal
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

So run it with sudo.

Code: Select all

boot@catweazel:/media/boot/HWRAID10-0/Working/Downloads$ sh DaVinci_Resolve_14.2.1_Linux.sh
Blackmagic Design Pty. Ltd.
License Agreement for DaVinci Resolve

IMPORTANT: Read this before installing this software. This is a legal contract between yourself and Blackmagic Design Pty. Ltd.  Before you type "y" to agree, it's important you carefully read the terms and conditions of this Agreement. By typing "y", you are agreeing to be bound by these terms and are becoming a party to this Agreement. If you do not agree to all of the terms, type "n" and do not install or use this software.

1. ...
12. ...

Blackmagic Design Pty Ltd
11 Gateway Court
Port Melbourne, Victoria 3207
Australia.
www.blackmagicdesign.com
Please type y to accept, n otherwise: 
Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

I have Given Up, deleted the files and will just stick with Kdenlive.
Rayland-BH

Post by Rayland-BH »

In case you (or someone else) decides to try again, here is a very detailed step-by-step for installing DaVinci Resolve on Mint, as posted on the Blackmagic Design forums:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/view ... a8#p366963
(it is the second to last post on that very long page)

As you can see, it is a complex process, and not for the faint of heart. That's because Resolve is written for and only supported on CentOS, which means getting it to run correctly on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint systems takes a lot more than just executing the install script.

Also worth keeping in mind is that the free version of Resolve has a number of built in (and intentional) limitations, that may make it less than desirable for you to use (particularly considering the effort needed to get it to run). Those have been discussed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=244539

So it may well be that sticking with Kdenlive is, in fact, the right call, depending on what you are trying to do.

Return to “Software & Applications”