Time for a new flavour

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Redraw

Time for a new flavour

Post by Redraw »

Hello All
Yeah I'v tried to settle into some of the rolling distros and each one went downhill sooner than later and that just spoils the experience of it all , I'm sure many of you know that too , I do know a little bit about how to set up the desktop so if I can help fantastic and having to re and re install rolling distos I did get to learn a few things as well but never got to stay long so decided I'll have a big turnaround and gone for mint I think that having a few years between versions to re-install would be a dream , for me it is ,will a lot better that having rolling releases , yeah ,that need reinstalling after a few months sometimes only a few weeks, sorry about rambling on but I've installed another distro LinuxMint 18.2 ( I'll be ok in a few days ) the reason I suppose I get like this is I look at my computer to do artwork ( not re + re-installing ) learning to do GIFs but wallpapers is where I really chillout and forget about all , music headphones and art yep thats it I'm very dull compared to some hey if your happy your happy , and if when I can help I will help
Since this is LinuxMint are we called what ? minties hehe I dont know what are we called then . come on what the answer .
see you in the forums
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Time for a new flavour

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Redraw wrote:Hello All
Yeah I'v tried to settle into some of the rolling distros and each one went downhill sooner than later and that just spoils the experience of it all , I'm sure many of you know that too , I do know a little bit about how to set up the desktop so if I can help fantastic and having to re and re install rolling distos I did get to learn a few things as well but never got to stay long so decided I'll have a big turnaround and gone for mint I think that having a few years between versions to re-install would be a dream , for me it is ,will a lot better that having rolling releases , yeah ,that need reinstalling after a few months sometimes only a few weeks, sorry about rambling on but I've installed another distro LinuxMint 18.2 ( I'll be ok in a few days ) the reason I suppose I get like this is I look at my computer to do artwork ( not re + re-installing ) learning to do GIFs but wallpapers is where I really chillout and forget about all , music headphones and art yep thats it I'm very dull compared to some hey if your happy your happy , and if when I can help I will help
Since this is LinuxMint are we called what ? minties hehe I dont know what are we called then . come on what the answer .
see you in the forums
Just wondering, but which rolling release distros have you used? While I don't normally recommend folks new to Linux begin with a rolling distro, Manjaro is the best one to start with. I use that distro for my desktop and just installed Mint on my Thinkpad T430 the other day.

I think you will be happy with Mint.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

whm1974 wrote:
Redraw wrote:Hello All
Yeah I'v tried to settle into some of the rolling distros and each one went downhill sooner than later and that just spoils the experience of it all , I'm sure many of you know that too
Just wondering, but which rolling release distros have you used? While I don't normally recommend folks new to Linux begin with a rolling distro, Manjaro is the best one to start with. I use that distro for my desktop and just installed Mint on my Thinkpad T430 the other day.

I think you will be happy with Mint.
Me too, I have been using Manjaro for a while now in a triple-boot set-up including Mint.
Since the installation of Manjaro and through the cycles of regular updates of both software and system packages including kernel updates, I have never experienced any issues with that distro. Everything has been working flawlessly. But I do understand that there are quite some rolling releases out there which have a more "aggressive" update policy. Manjaro, on the other hand, seems to try to hit a middle ground between stability and a securely updated system.

I agree with the previous poster that Mint could be a great choice if you prefer stability rather than constantly updated system.
Last edited by Sir Charles on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

I need to relearn Mint since I haven't used it for a long time, but of all of the Linux Distro forums I've been to, Mint and Manjaro are the most user friendly.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Redraw! You've chosen a great distro.
Redraw wrote:Since this is LinuxMint are we called what ?
I don't have any problem with "Minties."
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Welcome to Linux Mint Redraw,
Enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Redraw Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
buffest_overflow

Post by buffest_overflow »

This was in "introduce yourself" so I thought the OP was like "Time for a new flavor... ME". That would have been hilarious.
Redraw

Post by Redraw »

Thank-You
Many thanks for all the kind notes, I don't introduce myself usually as I never felt a push to do so ,maybe because I would wait until a Distro worked and didn't BLAH so they worked for a while and then Boom , not sure if It was me or them ,not sure if I tried tried Manjaro that is in the past not doing rolling releases will stay with Mint and Hope Hope Hope that Boom and BLAH stay where they are (in last year) and yet introducing myself this time early on hey go figure why maybe to do things differently ( New Year - New Plan ).
Some of the rolling Distro Ive used and left for various reasons ( usually a blinding set of crashes) , not sure if It was me or them ,were all doing a great job not bagging any of them you know lots of work goes into the making any distro the ones I liked the most and most disappointed to leave was
Solydk bit slow with the update and not rolling as a rolling release could be , even one in-house tester mentioned this.
But ooh GeckoLinux a one man show that is absolutely great wow real honest commitment but the Opensuse updates left my system with a black screen after reboot ( happen twice not going for a third ) thanks that sinking feeling I can do without.
Many others that are good but not for me I am more a GUI type of Linux user so don't ever expect much terminal work always seems to go sideways.
Sooooo thanks and I'm now off to do some looking at Q's and A's in the Forums
Power-up the Minties ( couldn't resist )
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Welcome to Mint, Redraw!
jimallyn wrote:
Redraw wrote:Since this is LinuxMint are we called what ?
I don't have any problem with "Minties."
Mintiacs
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Introduce Yourself”