Introducing Folks to Linux.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Introducing Folks to Linux.

Post by Moem »

151tom wrote:This is the Linux Distro for the Windows user wanting to move over to Linux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Lite
I tried that and did not find it easier or more Windows-like than Mint. Did you?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

151tom wrote:No didn't find it any easier then Linux Mint or any other Linux Distro although everything I've read claims "The purpose of Linux Lite is to introduce Windows users to Linux".
Well, there are a lot of claims on toothpaste packaging, too... that doesn't mean you should believe everything you read. :mrgreen:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

151tom wrote:Never said I did believe it and only adding an information link to the posted thread.
Okay, that clears it up; you posted "This is the Linux Distro for the Windows user wanting to move over to Linux." and I took that to be your opinion since you did not state where it came from.

151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
Nate

Post by Nate »

I've found the best way to introduce people to it is to let them see my setups. Usually it's via my 2 in 1 which I take everywhere with me. they can see how great the customisability is via how my desktop looks, you can show them there's software to meet all needs, that the hardware support is there etc. I've found a number of people I know have misgivings after deciding to try it themselves a decade ago back before Linux had some distros as user friendly as some of those of today. when they see full functionality off the bat coupled with the ability to customise their experience more than the OSes with a bigger market share, it does have a good amount of appeal. Offer to help them back up their existing installation so they can always go back to it if they want and help them out while they acclimatise and some folks are pretty open to giving it a go.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Portreve wrote:I have issues with this thread; specifically, with the basic premise undergirding its creation.

The entire point of having forkability of code under the umbrella concept of libre-licensing is so there can be variety. This generally presents to the end-user as a sort of competition of ideas, which is a good thing in the view of many — including myself — though that is certainly not the only purpose it serves.

The reason I have a problem with this thread's concept — as opposed to with all the responses to it at large — is fundamentally it is a flame-war-in-waiting. The fact that there even has to be a disclaimer of sorts proves the point.

Now, maybe I'm being a total jerk for responding in this way, and if that's the case then so be it, but I feel I just can't stand idly by and let things pass as they are.

Manjaro, though I've never used it, I'm certain is a fine GNU+Linux distro. Given that it "suits your needs better" than, ostensibly, LinuxMint, whm1974, you come off as someone who looks like they're just trying to start a fight. Here's two logic arguments to consider:

1. If Manjaro is nice and suits your needs better, why switch to LinuxMint?
2. Why insinuate that LinuxMint is something like a dumbed-down or otherwise nurfed distro better suited to newcomers to GNU+Linux?

LinuxMint is a Debian-by-way-of-Ubuntu fork. It is consistently rated as one of the absolute top distributions, period. LinuxMint began the whole effort within the GTK-using world of forking Gnome 2.x when the Gnome Project decided to completely change their UI paradigm. This resulted initially with the creation of MATE, and then later Cinnamon. Both of these desktop environments are available for, and are widely used on, many other distributions, including Debian itself. Clem & Co. have a lot of upstream commits which get disseminated broadly. I can't imagine any of this being the case were LinuxMint merely a distro for n00bs.

If you hold Manjaro in such high regard — and once again, I'm in no way attempting to denigrate it — why not introduce people you know to it instead? At least stand by the thing you deem worthy of respect.
First of all I didn't intend to start a flame-war, and I didn't switch to Mint from Manjaro, as I'm still using it on my main system.

1. One of the reasons I brought my Thinkpad is for testing other distros on bare metal. It is also a spare machine.

2. I also do not consider Mint to be a dumb downed or nerfed distro merely for n00bs. Manjaro is a rolling release, while Mint is fixed. Manjaro does break or have issues now and then, something most new users wouldn't know how to fix.

I was using Mint for a few years before switching to Xubuntu and then over to Manjaro. And yes I do consider it better then Mint, for my needs, while others my not find it be suitable for them.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

I hope that my post above has cleared up any issues anyone has about why I started this thread. Everyones's needs are different and it not unheard of for Linux users to use more then one distro at a time. Even if it is just to check them out.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

I like to let people use my computer when they visit (KDE 18.3.) They usually ask me about Linux Mint so I burn a DVD or two for them. I have 61 ISO images available on my little torrent "farm" farm so that is not a problem.

But the best resource I can give them is this forum!

BTW: I have never had a problem with any visitor messing up my installation (yet.)
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Jim Hauser wrote:I like to let people use my computer when they visit (KDE 18.3.) They usually ask me about Linux Mint so I burn a DVD or two for them. I have 61 ISO images available on my little torrent "farm" farm so that is not a problem.

BTW: I have never had a problem with any visitor messing up my installation (yet.)
Well if you have them using the Guest account then chances are, that you normally wouldn't.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

whm1974 wrote:
Jim Hauser wrote:I like to let people use my computer when they visit (KDE 18.3.) They usually ask me about Linux Mint so I burn a DVD or two for them. I have 61 ISO images available on my little torrent "farm" farm so that is not a problem.

Well if you have them using the Guest account then chances are, that you normally wouldn't.
I do not need or use guest accounts. Sure, I an aware of potential problems and always keep an eye on things. If they run into a password prompt I usually take over and show them things that they can not see in a guest account.

I also have two separate local copies of every file in my home folder, two separate local backups of the entire system and two separate local backups of every virtual machine all done on a weekly basis. Offsite backups for each are also done twice per month.

None of these have yet been needed because of an errant visitor. After all, if you want to "sell" an OS then security is part of the package.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I just gave away 2 more live DVD's of LM 64 Cinnamon today with a distro install lable instructions. People that expressed they were having issues with their Windex machines. They were referred by other local converts. I figure I will probably hear from them again if they succeed with either a dual boot or a fresh install.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”