32 Bit System

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
opensourceanonymous

32 Bit System

Post by opensourceanonymous »

Hope to be in the right place.... I would just like to thank Linux Mint for still supporting the 32 Bit architecture. Old computers can still be used and not thrown away because of Windows not being supported on them.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 32 Bit System

Post by whm1974 »

Not to start a flame war or upset anyone, but considering that low end and refurbished 64-bit systems are fairly cheap, why continue to stick with such old hardware? Even applications are starting to drop 32-bit versions or have already done so.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

It may not happen tomorrow, but the days of 32 bit are numbered.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Schultz wrote:It may not happen tomorrow, but the days of 32 bit are numbered.
And on live support.
BaltyRaven

Post by BaltyRaven »

There are operating systems like Windows 7, 8, and 10 that still support the 64-bit architecture. But considering that you would probably need more RAM (random access memory) in the near future for accessing vital applications, it's not recommended for older computers to use more modern software that was made over the past 5 years.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

there is now, some Ex Vista PCs that are now coming available:
- why would you *not* re-use them ?

in a few more years time, then some Ex win-7 PCs will be available:

not to continue that 'flame war' - - but some continents can get this hardware cheaper,
- than some continents, like over here - have to shell out.
:twisted:

and I've not even got around to mentioned "That M$ Tax" that is on every machine that you do buy.
:roll:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Big laugh today. The Microsoft robocaller called today warning that my Office 365 license is expiring. 3 times today. I usuallly just hang up but this time I started whooping and hollering "Hooray!!", Never had it and never will.
4 32 bit laptops with with LM 18.3 Cinnamon running. Just as fast as a dozen 64 bit machines running 64 bit with similar CPU's. Just all single core on the 32 bit.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Tomgin5 wrote:Big laugh today. The Microsoft robocaller called today warning that my Office 365 license is expiring. 3 times today. I usuallly just hang up but this time I started whooping and hollering "Hooray!!", Never had it and never will.
4 32 bit laptops with with LM 18.3 Cinnamon running. Just as fast as a dozen 64 bit machines running 64 bit with similar CPU's. Just all single core on the 32 bit.
I wonder how many people fell for that scam?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

I'd also wonder if that Robocall was limited to just that one country?
or, if it will progressively roll out to other countries.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

opensourceanonymous wrote:Hope to be in the right place.... I would just like to thank Linux Mint for still supporting the 32 Bit architecture. Old computers can still be used and not thrown away because of Windows not being supported on them.
I think the coming Ubuntu 18.04/LM 19.0 will not support 32bit systems = EOL for Ubuntu/LM 32bit systems will be April 2021.

Looks like tech companies want to phase out 32bit systems because of the 2038 year bug ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

64bit systems require at least 4GB of RAM to run properly.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Pierre wrote:there is now, some Ex Vista PCs that are now coming available:
Had a 32 bit, single core Vista machine given to me just the other day, and installed Mint 18.3 XFCE on it. Probably give it to my brother who has been complaining for years that his old Windows machine is bogged down and hardly runs anymore. I keep telling him to put Linux on it, but he says, nah, it's too old, and it's all bogged down with viruses and such. I don't think he understands that installing Linux will fix all that. Well, if he won't let me revive his old machine with Linux, I'll just send him a computer with Linux on it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

michael louwe wrote:...
Not true. I have three that have Mint 64-bit and 2 GB RAM and all run "properly".
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

JerryF wrote:
michael louwe wrote:...
Not true. I have three that have Mint 64-bit and 2 GB RAM and all run "properly".
That depends on what applications you are running and your workflow. Although for 64-bit systems I do recommend having at least 4GB of memory if not 8GB.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
BaltyRaven

Post by BaltyRaven »

michael louwe wrote:
opensourceanonymous wrote:Hope to be in the right place.... I would just like to thank Linux Mint for still supporting the 32 Bit architecture. Old computers can still be used and not thrown away because of Windows not being supported on them.
You could run a 64-bit version of an OS with less than 4GB of RAM (mostly for Linux distributions) and it could still run properly. Although you should run it with at least 2GB of RAM, depending on your computer.
Last edited by BaltyRaven on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

151tom wrote "Paid $1.00 for this 10 years old with only 2.0GB memory and a Pentium D 950 and 64bit Linux runs excellent."

151tom do you always pay such extravagant amounts of money like this?...10 years old?,...when exactly do you think you will ever see your moneys worth from such an extravagant purchase?...lol...lol...lol...DAMIEN
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

BaltyRaven wrote: You could run a 64-bit version of an OS with less than 4GB of RAM (mostly for Linux distributions) and it could still run properly. Although you should run it with no more than 2GB of RAM, depending on your computer.
Your last statement isn't making sense. Most of the chipsets in 64-bit computers can handle 4 to 16 GB RAM.
BaltyRaven

Post by BaltyRaven »

JerryF wrote:
BaltyRaven wrote: You could run a 64-bit version of an OS with less than 4GB of RAM (mostly for Linux distributions) and it could still run properly. Although you should run it with no more than 2GB of RAM, depending on your computer.
Your last statement isn't making sense. Most of the chipsets in 64-bit computers can handle 4 to 16 GB RAM.
I said at least. Sometimes my words are mixed up.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

BaltyRaven wrote:
JerryF wrote:
I said at least. Sometimes my words are mixed up.
You meant "at least", but wrote "no more than". That's why I was confused. :wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”