Flatpak Geary slows shutdown - LM 18.3

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
anselrobot
Level 1
Level 1

Flatpak Geary slows shutdown - LM 18.3

Post by anselrobot » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:17 pm

LM 18.3 - Sylvia.
I am pretty sure that whenever I open Geary, the flatpak version, shutdown takes very long to complete. It happens even if I close Geary beforehand.
I am in no hurry since I uninstalled Geary (flatpak) and I am now running Geary 0.10.0, the version found on Synaptic. Everything is fine now.
Hoping it helps someone.

Petermint
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Flatpak Geary slows shutdown - LM 18.3

Post by Petermint » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:02 pm

Pitty the old one is gone. The flatpack should be called fatpack because they load in lots of stuff you do not need in the native version. Your fatpack might have pushed your machine into paging. Paging slows everything down. You can find out by looking at your current resource usage. If your current memory use is up near the limit, the flatpack version probably pushed you over the cliff.
Menu -> Administration -> System Monitor

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Flatpak Geary slows shutdown - LM 18.3

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:32 am

Petermint wrote:Pitty the old one is gone. The flatpack should be called fatpack because they load in lots of stuff you do not need in the native version. Your fatpack might have pushed your machine into paging. Paging slows everything down. You can find out by looking at your current resource usage. If your current memory use is up near the limit, the flatpack version probably pushed you over the cliff.
Menu -> Administration -> System Monitor
I think he's right. Bundling what is basically a whole Linux runtime environment with an app sound perverse. But it's a solution to the ridicuous number of incompatible packaging systems and APIS found in Linux, which truly IS perverse. If those and snaps etc mean better Linux software support I'm for it.

However it isn't going to please those users who think Linux exists for people with old computers that can't take the added overhead. But Linux developers aren't those kind of users. They have decent hardware and want to make tools for themselves to use. That's what open source software is about.

Return to “Other topics”