What tasks aren't suiteable for Virtual Machines

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Immemorial

What tasks aren't suiteable for Virtual Machines

Post by Immemorial »

I've been wondering about what tasks are unlikely to work properly when using a virtual machine in Linux Mint 18.3. Can someone tell me if there are any (types of) applications that seem particulary problematic or just flat out don't work as they should (or that need a incredible amount of RAM - i.e. much more than they should normally need - to actually work)?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What tasks aren't suiteable for Virtual Machines

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Audio/video tasks might not work to well. Improper privileges and not enough resources are the main reasons why. You can set up the privileges easy enough, but the resources are physical.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

And stuff that requires 'raw access' to the underlying hardware, eg. you can't modify and/or update (the actual) BIOS from inside a VM...
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

Hi,

In production environments I have found that SQL servers underperform on VMs. Network Available Storage too.

I don't have any benchmarks... other than complaint frequency.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

It depends on the setup, the VM software used, the VM settings, and the host hardware. In my experience, with a pretty decent rig, and a well set up VirtualBox, my Mint 18.2 and Mint 18.3 VMs work very well, with the one caveat (as with VBox), being that video performance is terrible. So if you want to do something which is graphically intensive, a VM isn't ordinarily your solution, although I've heard VMware is good, and that GPU Passthrough or whatever it is, is good, even for games. YMMV, I guess.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

You do not say why you need a VM. There are many situations where people recommend VMs for tasks that can run as native applications, under Wine, or as a dual boot. From my experience:
Native applications are best.
Wine rarely works but is way better than a VM when it does work.
Dual boot is far more reliable and is useful when you are working in the other system for hours at a time.

The last choice, a VM, is usually reserved for emulating an external system and often fails to do that.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I certainly wouldn't want to run Gimp or some large game in a VM unless it was on a very serious piece of hardware. Unfortunately, running games in a Windows VM is exactly the sort of thing you'd want to do if you were a gamer. Fortunately for me I'm not or I'd still have Windows.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Hoser Rob wrote:I certainly wouldn't want to run Gimp or some large game in a VM unless it was on a very serious piece of hardware. Unfortunately, running games in a Windows VM is exactly the sort of thing you'd want to do if you were a gamer. Fortunately for me I'm not or I'd still have Windows.
For funsies, I decided to install and load up GIMP on my Linux Mint 18.3 VirtualBox VM, with Cinnamon. It was a bit laggy when, for example, I painted stuff, but using filter effects and what-not loaded up just fine. I guess the processing is fine, but visually displaying things was laggy. To be expected, I guess, since it's in software rendering mode, as Mint cautions. I can play videos in YouTube, but they're a lil laggy.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

VMs use from 15% overhead up to 60% or more depending on what you emulate and what you leave to hardware. The high end could be emulating a different processor or a graphics chip. You are back to looking at what the application needs, what the hardware provides, and what the VM may decide to emulate even if it exists in the hardware.

For security, you might decide to emulate I/O instead of letting the application use native I/O.
RobertService

Post by RobertService »

So, with all the negatives listed here, can someone please give a good, solid engineering and computer-science-related reason why anyone would want to use a virtual machine?
An example detailing how the use of a VM makes you more productive in your day-to-day work would be the most convincing and compelling.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

RobertService wrote:So, with all the negatives listed here, can someone please give a good, solid engineering and computer-science-related reason why anyone would want to use a virtual machine?
- Testing various operating systems, including alpha's and bèta's;
- Updating my TomTom navigation device (needs Windows).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

You can develop for ARM on your Intel processor. You could have a VM for each of the many different types of ARM processor. You can test your Web site using several versions of every Web browser including the difficult ones, Chrome and Internet Exploder.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Immemorial wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:09 am I've been wondering about what tasks are unlikely to work properly when using a virtual machine in Linux Mint 18.3. Can someone tell me if there are any (types of) applications that seem particulary problematic or just flat out don't work as they should (or that need a incredible amount of RAM - i.e. much more than they should normally need - to actually work)?

Thanks in advance.

Have you figured this out yet?

Return to “Beginner Questions”