[SOLVED] Internal Search Engine

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WaltP

[SOLVED] Internal Search Engine

Post by WaltP »

I am having an issue with my search engine. When I do a search and type the first word, as soon as I hit the spacebar for the second word, it starts to search before I can type in the second word. I am using Cinnamon Mint 18.2 64 bit. This worked fine on my Cinnamon 16. Is there a fix for this? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Search engine

Post by Schultz »

Are you talking about the search feature under the Mint start menu, or in your browser? (If you meant in your browser it would help to know what browser you're using.)

I tested search in the Mint menu and it works correctly. I typed "red" then hit the space bar and it did not start searching. (But I'm on 18.3 Mate 64 bit.) I then tested search in my browser and that also works correctly.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Which search engine, Google, DuckDuckGo or some other search engine. Which web browser are you using?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I am very sure that the OP means Nemo. Yes, since some versions ago the search function in Nemo got this "improvement" and Nemo thinks, that it is smart, but in reality this is simply annoying. You even cannot get into the search bar with a mouse press (would be logical, because nobody can enter a search expression with a mouse), you have to click in the bar with the mouse.

Suggestion: Install gnome-search-tool. It is far more powerful anyway.
WaltP

Post by WaltP »

I'm not talking about my browser. I'm also not talking about the search at the start menu. That just looks for applications. I'm looking for files on my computer. Either the Home directory search button or my secondary hard drive search button.

Cosmo, thanks for the advice. I have installed gnome-search-tool. How do I make that my default search engine? When I load gnome-search-tool, it works fine but when I click on the magnifying glass to search, it’s back to my old crappy search engine.
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

Thanks for starting this thread! Since LM 18.2 Cinnamon uses Nemo as the file manager the following won't help you directly, but it is useful for those on Xfce and Thunar and it may help you find a way that works in Nemo.

I followed the instructions here and it resulted in making gnome-search-tool an integrated search tool in Thunar. Further, as I had already installed Catfish, I now have my choice in Thunar of which search engine to use.
GnomeSearchTool.jpg
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

WaltP wrote:I have installed gnome-search-tool. How do I make that my default search engine?
You cannot integrate it into Nemo. This is what I did:

Open the keyboard settings of the system -> shortcuts -> own shortcuts. Create a key-combination for gnome-search-tool. I have associated it with super-f. Now I can launch it regardless of the application I am currently using. You can also place a launcher for it into the quicklaunch applet. For this right click the entry for it in the menu and select to add to the panel. Now you have also the possibility to launch it with the mouse.
WaltP

Post by WaltP »

Cosmo, thanks again. I don't want to appear to be a dunderhead but I got somewhat lost in your explanation. Correct me but this is what I did:
First, I created an icon on my desktop which ran gnome-search-tool. Then I tried to follow your instructions:
Start Menu>Preferences>keyboard>shortcuts>Add custom shortcut
I gave it a name and associated it with my desktop icon. I don't know what to do at this point. I don't know what super-f means. We seem to be separated by a common language. :) :?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

WaltP wrote:I gave it a name and associated it with my desktop icon. I don't know what to do at this point. I don't know what super-f means. We seem to be separated by a common language. :) :?
In the first step you have to enter a name (you did that) and to enter a command, in this case gnome-search-tool. Double click the entry in the list (upper part) to open the editor and correct the command(!) entry.
Next you have 3 possible key-combinations for this command in the lower part of the window, at first all are set to "not associated)". Hover the first entry there to get some tool tips as help.
super- f means the super key and the f key together, just as shift-f will give you in a text editor a capitalized F. Perhaps you know the super key better under the name windows key. Both mean the same. Using the super key as the modifier key has the advantage, that this will not infer with the shortcut-keys in any application, applications do not use the super key for keyboard shortcuts (except a few, which create so called global shortcuts).
WaltP

Post by WaltP »

I didn’t know that the Windows key was called the super key. Where do you find that info?
Under Keyboard bindings, I assigned Super+F. Now when I hit Super-f I get this:
super-f search.png
I can give up on this at this point. I am satisfied with the gnome-search-tool icon on my desktop. It is SO much better than using the garbage Nemo search engine. I have thousands of files on my hard drives and finding a file was very difficult. Not so anymore. Thanks so much Cosmo.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

WaltP wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:22 am Under Keyboard bindings, I assigned Super+F. Now when I hit Super-f I get this:
It seems, as if you have set as command the genome-search.desktop file. If you reread my advice you will see, that I wrote to enter only gnome-search (without .desktop) as command. (Opening the properties of the .desktop file and set it to allow executing it might probably also help, but this is not what I advised.)
WaltP

Post by WaltP »

OK. Gotcha. It works. What I did wrong was under 'Add custom shortcut' , next to the 'command' I clicked on the camera button and picked my desktop gnome search icon.

I don't understand why software "engineers" would create such a worthless search engine within Nemo.

Thanks, Cosmo.

Return to “Beginner Questions”