[SOLVED] Mint Update Manager shield icon vanished.

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
12stepMSx
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Mint Update Manager shield icon vanished.

Post by 12stepMSx »

[SOLVED]
First, Hello all.
Running Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64 bit on a Lenovo Thinkpad T60

Is it possible that the update shield icon is NOT part of Mintupdate but run by something else?
The update help "CONTENTS / F1" reads as follows...
"Linux Mint comes with a tool called the Update Manager. It gives more information about updates and lets you define how safe an update must be before you want to apply it. It looks like a shield and sits on the bottom-right corner of your screen.
If you place your mouse pointer on top of it, it will tell you either that your system is up to date or, if it isn't, how many updates are available..."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Mintupdate twice +all stated below and while update manager seems to function the still shield icon has NOT returned

I posted (deleted) this in Newbie but only one response asking a question that's not been replied to

ORIGINAL QUESTION BELOW

I'm an grey beard only 4 years weened off MS last OS was XP. I'm not all that Linux savvy, barely know enough so as to not misuse terminal with broad commands and crash this.

To my current issue - I installed dconf-editor in an attempt to correct the slight annoyance of the (was working fine till today) "update manager" tray notification icon which has now disappeared from the right side tray. Using the update managers own settings I reset to show after update and show even if no updates available - still failed to show so I installed, then tried using dconf-editor but still a no show. Is this set-able in dconf-editor? if not where and what/how do might I fix this?
Please pardon the long read and Thanks.

I'd ignore this but for the history with this OS on this laptop has been that little announces like this begin to add up then soon boot-up will fail and eventually I'll need to reload the OS, again.

Background - Started using Mint 17 on this Lenovo laptop about several years ago, keep up with updates level 1, 2 & 3 but shy of accepting kernal updates which have caused: no boot (had to add a boot repair) then random system lockups and crashes. Have reloaded OS 3 times in last year due to crash (OS purchased from disc.com) so sum check failure from corrupted download/burn would not be a issue.

Opening the update manager then click edit the drop down to preferences and there are 8 check box settings top to bottom.
#2 down is "hide update manager after applying updates" - I have this UNCHECKED
#3 down is "only show tray icon when updates are available of if errors. - I have this UNCHECKED
These are suppose to control the "active" update manager icon/shortcut in the lower right tray.

So I found dconf-editor and it seemed to be somewhat like MS sysconfig/msconfig and assumed that I could do a reset more on the OS's "global" scale.
Like I stated it's not a big deal in and of itself but, again, I suspect a harbinger of impending OS instability, again.
Last edited by 12stepMSx on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Mint Update Manager shield icon vanished.

Post by Cosmo. »

This sounds as if you have removed the sys tray applet.

Right click the panel on an empty place -> add applet -> select the sys tray applet and add it to the panel.
12stepMSx
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint Update Manager shield icon vanished.

Post by 12stepMSx »

Cosmos, Thank You!
sys tray applet
(Me doing a Head Slap!)
That was the first place I looked when this happened BUT I was searching for an applet named "Mintupdate" (Actual package name).
I looked in both the installed and available applets. Nothing.
I just assumed the name would be the same.
Thanks to you it's back.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [SOLVED] Mint Update Manager shield icon vanished.

Post by Cosmo. »

The reason why the names do not match is simple:
The function of the sys tray applet is to act like a container for any application, that wants to place a sys tray icon. Update Manager is only one of them, there are more (e. g. the quick starter of Libre Office). So if the container is missing, no sys tray icon can be displayed there (obviously).

Return to “Cinnamon”