How to install spices? [SOLVED]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

How to install spices? [SOLVED]

Post by wallyUSA »

Can you point me to some info on how to install spices? I am interested in the weather. I downloaded weather@mockturtl (zip file) and I extracted it. What's the next step?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: How to install spices?

Post by Moem »

Is that a desklet? The Cinnamon spices page says:
To install a desklet: Download it and decompress it in ~/.local/share/cinnamon/desklets.
You can also download and install desklets straight from within Cinnamon, using the "Desklets" configuration tool in the "System Settings".

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Moem wrote:Is that a desklet? ....
You can also download and install desklets straight from within Cinnamon, using the "Desklets" configuration tool in the "System Settings".
Thanks for the tip. Yes it is a desklet. Installed via Sys Settings and it says it is installed. How do I launch it? Can not find it in 'apps'.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

minitux

Post by minitux »

from system settings
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

minitux wrote:from system settings
I have it installed. I do not know how to use/launch it.

minitux

Post by minitux »

If you have install it, clic on Desklet in system settings as in my previous screenshot and then clic on the desklet and add it on the desktop with +
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

wallyUSA wrote:
Moem wrote:Is that a desklet?....
Thanks for the tip. Yes it is a desklet. Installed via Sys Settings and it says it is installed. How do I launch it? Can not find it in 'apps'.
That's because it's not an app. On the System Settings => Desklets window, go to the tab Manage; it should appear there. Select it, and then click on the plus sign in the bottom bar of the window.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

@Moem:
That's because it's not an app. On the System Settings => Desklets window, go to the tab Manage; it should appear there. Select it, and then click on the plus sign in the bottom bar of the window.
Thanks, that helps a lot. Any way to make a shortcut that I can put on my desktop to start 'weather'?

minitux

Post by minitux »

weather@mockturtl is not a Desklet , its a Applet for panel

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/17
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

wallyUSA wrote:Any way to make a shortcut that I can put on my desktop to start 'weather'?
As far as I know, if you have placed it on your desktop, it should now autostart at every boot.

minitux

Post by minitux »

minitux wrote:weather@mockturtl is not a Desklet , its a Applet for panel

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/17
I have that applet, is not for Desktop

this is a Desklet
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

We have been having problems with Desklets in LMC18.3 so I doubt that it will work :( That is I doubt you can configure it for your location. I am not able to configure it (the one in the Desklet list) , It seems to be set for England.
Last edited by Ozo on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minitux

Post by minitux »

I'm on Mint 18.3 and working
minitux

Post by minitux »

I have install now a list of various Desklets and all working
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

minitux wrote:I'm on Mint 18.3 and working
Thanks, after another try I found the Location Setting and entered my zip but no luck. How do I configure the location? Notice the temp in Titusville, Fl ,actual temp is 75F.

It has a transparency slider which I like a lot for the transparent background works great. I put it over the clock desklet.

Last edited by Ozo on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

minitux wrote:I have install now a list of various Desklets and all working
Hey, your right. I just tried the window frame desklet that I could not see before and works perfect. I have a Theme I am waiting to sort itself out too and unload and reload it periodically in hopes it will be repaired. It is Numix-Cinnamon-Transparent which currently is not transparent.

I apologize to the OP if I hijacked the thread but hope all this may help. :)
minitux

Post by minitux »

i have set this BBC

and search on google bbc weather Roma and bbc weather Milano and copy in the settings of Desklets the code

wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

@minitux
How do I install the applet? I extracted it but no idea how to install and launch.

EDIT - Do not like the desk let, seems inflexible!

minitux

Post by minitux »

from system settings clic on Applet

then on Tab "download" recharge

and the on tab management add the applet to panel
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

minitux wrote:from system settings clic on Applet
OK, I am making progress. Installed and launched.
However, it does not seem to be doing anything. Just keeps saying "Loading"?

EDIT: I did some configuring (set location for Atlanta GA).
Picture attached.
weather01.png

Return to “Cinnamon”