Dual Monitor Incompatibility: Dell Optiplex 745

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gortan

Dual Monitor Incompatibility: Dell Optiplex 745

Post by gortan »

Hi, i am new to the forum and from São Paulo/Brazil. I came here for some help and trouble shooting. I have 2 Monitors and I want to have an extended desktop for better work. The main monitor it's a dell 19' and the second LG 14' .
I am connecting both on the same VGA port with a splitter adapter because my desktop only have one port, the problem is my Linux Mint only recognize one display and show the same image on both.

Specs
Display Window

Code: Select all

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82Q963/Q965 Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
[b]00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)[/b]
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev f2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HB/HR (ICH8/R) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) 4 port SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HR/HO/HH (ICH8R/DO/DH) 2 port SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 02)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClixTrix

Re: Dual Monitor Incompatibility: Dell Optiplex 745

Post by ClixTrix »

gortan wrote:The main monitor it's a dell 19' and the second LG 14' . I am connecting both on the same VGA port with a splitter adapter because my desktop only have one port, the problem is my Linux Mint only recognize one display and show the same image on both.
A VGA splitter won't operate to create a second image for use as an extended desktop. To do that, you need a second video port/card. Essentially, the splitter is working as designed in creating a duplicate image for the two monitors, created by the single VGA port.

Unless you have a second port in the system, e.g. DVI-I, you need to add a video card to the system for the second monitor.
gortan

Post by gortan »

ClixTrix wrote:
gortan wrote:The main monitor it's a dell 19' and the second LG 14' . I am connecting both on the same VGA port with a splitter adapter because my desktop only have one port, the problem is my Linux Mint only recognize one display and show the same image on both.
A VGA splitter won't operate to create a second image for use as an extended desktop. To do that, you need a second video port/card. Essentially, the splitter is working as designed in creating a duplicate image for the two monitors, created by the single VGA port.

Unless you have a second port in the system, e.g. DVI-I, you need to add a video card to the system for the second monitor.
ClixTrix thanks for the answer, is there an alternative besides installing a new video card? my CPU is compact and don't have space for upgrades.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

gortan wrote:ClixTrix thanks for the answer, is there an alternative besides installing a new video card? my CPU is compact and don't have space for upgrades.
If you have no space to add a VGA card, that does limit options....

There are some possible devices like USB to VGA converter. I've never tried one with Mint/Linux. You'd have to check with manufacturer before purchase to verify if it would even work with Mint/Ubuntu Linux. You might start with this link.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... a-on-linux

Return to “Hardware Support”