[SOLVED] Cannot log in after 18.3 installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jakob_R

[SOLVED] Cannot log in after 18.3 installation

Post by Jakob_R »

I want to install Linux Mint 18.3 xfce on my Acer Aspire One D270 (Intel Atom N2600, 64bit) via Live-USB but encounter a, to me, inexplicable problem. Literally everything about the installation process works fine. However, when the installation is done, I am presented the login screen, which does not accept the username-password pair, that I have chosen during the installation. I tried installing Mint 4 times and tried to log in a million times each installation without success. Yes, I checked the keyboard layout. After desperately trying to log in I could not do anything but turn off the machine. Upon clicking the shutdown button, Mint informed me that a user is currently logged in - but what can I do, I still shut down the machine. As I tried to restart, nothing but a blinking underscore appeared in the top left corner of the screen.

Has anyone any ideas or shall I call an exorcist?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Cannot log in after 18.3 installation

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Jakob_R.

At the end of the installation when the installer tells you to reboot the machine, you have removed the bootable live system which you used for installing from the machine?
Else you could use the <F12> key in order to bring up the on-demand boot device selection dialogue and make sure that your system will boot from the internal harddisk, but not from the bootable pendrive.

Note:
I have got an Acer Aspire One D260, not D270. On this netbook, I have installed Linux Mint 18.1 xfce, not Mint 18.3. But it boots Mint 18.1 from the internal harddisk without any trouble. The graphical login screen will appear, and I will be able to enter my accountname and my password and login.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Jakob_R

Post by Jakob_R »

Solved!

The process up until now has been:
1) initiate installation
2) walk away (because I didn't want to watch the bar grow for half an hour)
3) come back to the mysterious login screen
4) remove drive and try to restart from disk (which didn't work)

Now I actually watched the screen during the installation and caught the "do you want to restart now?" dialog. I clicked the restart option, removed the drive as promped by the system and now everything works just fine.

Thanks for the suggestion!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

As your issue has been solved, kindly edit the first post in the thread and add [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Installation & Boot”