Black screen while booting up any Linux distribution on HP notebook

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
swagimir

Black screen while booting up any Linux distribution on HP notebook

Post by swagimir »

Hi,
I have a problem with installing Linux Mint on my notebook (HP Pavilion 13 X360 - 13-a210nw). GRUB boots up, but when I choose one of available options (start Mint, install Mint etc.) there appears black screen and it stucks so for ever.
I found some solutions with 'nomodeset' (e.g replacing 'quick splash' with 'nomodeset') yesterday and they didn't work. It was not first time I tried to install any distribution (Ubuntu and openSuse earlier) and I could not. It always ends the same way - black screen. Once something apearred when tried to boot it up but I don't remember what it was (I will try to get to this again and post it). 2 or 3 years ago I remember that I used Ubuntu booted from pendrive. Suddenly, it stopped working. Maybe I installed BIOS update? Finally, I cannot use linux even from pendrive :/

CPU: Intel i5-5200u
GPU: Integrated with CPU - Intel HD Graphics 5500

I checked some cases on different forums but nothing worked :/ Have you any suggestion what to check?

I would be greatful for any help and refs to resources which could help to resolve the problem ;)

Marcin

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Black screen while booting up any Linux distribution on HP notebook

Post by JeremyB »

Can you connect an external monitor to it? Tried the FN combo for monitor brightness- that happened to me a few years ago
lissa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lissa »

If you have kernel 4.13.xx is possible bug of kernel, try digit your password in black screen in my pc after password run desktop or boot the system with older kernel...
roberto from italy
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ swagimir, .......
swagimir wrote:...
Are you trying to install LM alongside Win 8.x/10.? If so, have you disabled Fast Startup in Win 8.x/10, ie >Control Panel >Power options.?
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello swagimir and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
Sorry your having problems, some HP machine are difficult to get going and it's usually traced back to the UEFI implementation.
So I would look there first. As someone has already said make sure fast boot and secure boot are disabled in bios. Then try again.
if that does not work. You can try appending the grub boot line - that is the line of text that ends in "quiet splash" with this

Code: Select all

video=SVIDEO-1:d
see if that works. In order to show the grub boot menu you may have to keep hitting the shift key or the esc key.
the hit e key to edit the boot parameter.
good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Installation & Boot”