Virtualbox error

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grega987654321

Virtualbox error

Post by grega987654321 »

Yesterday I installed virtualbox and loaded in my totally legal iso of windows 10. When i tried to boot the virtual machine my pc crashed and i could not do anything but pull the plug. When i booted again i am greeted with this error when trying to boot my virtual machine.

It will not let me attach the picture so here is a link to it https://ibb.co/n6DDrw
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Virtualbox error

Post by Cosmo. »

What is your version of Mint and what is the desktop environment? Also what is your kernel? If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.
(BTW: We need the basic system specs for every question!)

What is the version of VB? (my guess from the picture: VB 5.0.x
daret

Post by daret »

You can add most recent version repo from here:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
grega987654321

Post by grega987654321 »

Virtual box verison is 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130.
grega987654321

Post by grega987654321 »

cosmo here is the info you asked for:

System: Host: gregorylinixpc Kernel: 4.13.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Kernel 4.13 and VB5.0.40 don't like each other, there are several recent posts to this effect - VB locks up mint. I found out the hard way. Suggest you install kernel 4.4.0-109. This works quite happily with VB5.0.40 (which is the version in the repos).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
grega987654321

Post by grega987654321 »

There are no updates available. Can you help
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

You have two routes to solve this issue.

1) Downgrade your kernel to the 4.4 series (which is a LTS so will continue to be supported until 2021 with security and patch fixes) and continue to use VBox 5.0.40.

2) Get rid of VBox 5.0.40 upgrade to a 5.1.x or 5.2.x direct from Oracle.

For route 1 you need to do the following.

Go to Update Manager, Click View, Click Linux Kernels, Read and Digest the information presented before clicking through to the Kernel Selections. Select the current 4.4 kernel from the top of the list (4.4.0-112 at time of writing) and install it. Reboot and hold the left shift key down to bring up the Grub menu, choose advanced options which should allow you to reboot into the kernel 4.4.

Once rebooted and using the 4.4 kernel, spend half an hour testing the machine, make sure everything works OK. VBox should be fine. If all OK Go back to Update Manager, find and uninstall all kernels in the 4.8, 4.10, 4.11 and 4.13 series. Viola - you will now have 4.4 have your default kernel everything is Rosy.

For route 2 -

First thing is to remove your existing VBox - use the terminal to issue this command - apt purge virtualbox*. Check the output carefully before saying yes - there should only be packages related to VBox 5.0.40 listed for removal - probably 3 or 4 (sorry it's been a while since I upgraded)

Then type apt add-repository deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian xenial contrib to add the Oracle repo to your sources.

Then wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -

Then apt update, followed by apt install virtualbox-5.2

See https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads re instructions for installing the VBox extensions and a note about Guest Additions for the current 5.2.6 version.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
lfekwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lfekwilson »

Well, this did not work. Followed all of the preceding and this is the result.
As much as I dislike downgrading to an older kernel, I guess I will try the first option.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package virtualbox-5.2 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'virtualbox-5.2' has no installation candidate
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

You could try to add the repo via the GUI - open Software Sources from the menu.

Or if you are not worried about updates just download and install the current Xenial deb package from here...https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

What does cat /etc/apt/sources.list bring up having input those commands?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

When I get this issue, it's usually because I've forgotten to install the virtualbox-dkms package after installing a different kernel version, so it doesn't get updated; something along those lines. I usually just reinstall virtualbox-dkms, which does its thing for the new kernel version.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall virtualbox-dkms
That said, although I have a feeling this has been mentioned, I ran into an issue with I think kernel 4.13*, which refused to work with virtualbox. I'm on 4.4 until I can move back up.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Termy wrote:When I get this issue, it's usually because I've forgotten to install the virtualbox-dkms package after installing a different kernel version, so it doesn't get updated; something along those lines. I usually just reinstall virtualbox-dkms, which does its thing for the new kernel version.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall virtualbox-dkms
That said, although I have a feeling this has been mentioned, I ran into an issue with I think kernel 4.13*, which refused to work with virtualbox. I'm on 4.4 until I can move back up.
I don't think virtualbox 5.1 and above use virtualbox-dkms to build kernel modules anymore. I don't have it installed and virtualbox 5.2.x has been fine across multiple kernel upgrades.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

@ lfekwilson
It is never a good idea to hijack another users thread; it is confusing and it is impolite against the OP.
Besides that: If you do this you should at least have read, which info we need, but you provided none.
So open our own thread and add the needed information.

Return to “Virtual Machines”