NFL Fantasy Football

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: NFL Fantasy Football

Post by majpooper »

kenetics wrote:I had season tickets to the Tampa Bay Bucs first season. Maybe went to half the games. Not very interested in pro football these days, but do support my school's team, USF, who play in the same stadium as the Bucs.
I did enjoy the Superbowl though. Glad the Eagles won as I was raised about 80 miles west of Philly.
Where did you grow up ? - guessing the Poconos maybe.
We are rivals in the AAC - I went to Temple (transfered from Penn State) - you guys trounced us last season.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

And not only did Philadelphia win for the first time, New England didn't achieve a record-tying six trophies. :)

Also of note, Super Bowl LII produced the most combined total yards for any NFL game ever...
NFL.com wrote:Philadelphia and New England combined to produce the most combined total yards in a game in NFL history Sunday, racking up an eye-popping 1,151 yards in the contest (topping 1950's Los Angeles Rams-New York Yanks 1,133-yard explosion). That total included 505 yards passing from Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who shredded his own previous record (set last year in Super Bowl LI) of 466 -- despite losing burner Brandin Cooks before halftime -- and became the first quarterback to break 10,000 postseason passing yards. New England's 33 points were also the most scored in a loss in Super Bowl history.

Let's not leave Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles in the dark. Foles landed in the top five all-time for most passing yards in a Super Bowl with 373, just four yards shy of Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner in XLIII.

Thanks to the game turning into a shootout early, it also finished one point short of tying the highest-scoring Super Bowl in history. And considering the missed kicks that led to the unusual final -- 41-33 -- we were that close to a new record in that category.

Perhaps the most stunning fact: Both teams combined to punt just once.
Joe
Penn

Post by Penn »

JoeFootball wrote:And not only did Philadelphia win for the first time, New England didn't achieve a record-tying six trophies. :)

Also of note, Super Bowl LII produced the most combined total yards for any NFL game ever...
NFL.com wrote:Philadelphia and New England combined to produce the most combined total yards in a game in NFL history Sunday, racking up an eye-popping 1,151 yards in the contest (topping 1950's Los Angeles Rams-New York Yanks 1,133-yard explosion). That total included 505 yards passing from Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who shredded his own previous record (set last year in Super Bowl LI) of 466 -- despite losing burner Brandin Cooks before halftime -- and became the first quarterback to break 10,000 postseason passing yards. New England's 33 points were also the most scored in a loss in Super Bowl history.

Let's not leave Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles in the dark. Foles landed in the top five all-time for most passing yards in a Super Bowl with 373, just four yards shy of Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner in XLIII.

Thanks to the game turning into a shootout early, it also finished one point short of tying the highest-scoring Super Bowl in history. And considering the missed kicks that led to the unusual final -- 41-33 -- we were that close to a new record in that category.

Perhaps the most stunning fact: Both teams combined to punt just once.
Joe
In the eyes of most people I know, the bolded words are all that matter.

Yeah yeah, New England got their record tying fifth super bowl loss.

Unlike most people, I like good defensive games. Those single game records didn't make it a good game to me. Speaking of the lack of defense, what is the real reason Malcolm Butler wasn't used? Not like he could have changed anything but it is odd.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Penn wrote:what is the real reason Malcolm Butler wasn't used? Not like he could have changed anything but it is odd.
That is only one of a list of dumb coaching mistakes in that game by "the greatest coach of all time".
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

austin.texas wrote:
Penn wrote:what is the real reason Malcolm Butler wasn't used? Not like he could have changed anything but it is odd.
That is only one of a list of dumb coaching mistakes in that game by "the greatest coach of all time".
Listening to the sports-talk radio today - the word on the street is that he definitely missed curfew and weed was involved. Poor judgment on his part and over reaction on the coaches part.
My team won and yes we didn't have our starting QB (Wentz) and our best OL (Peters) and our best LB (Hicks) and if we would have lost no one would want to have heard that. That said Butler was a starter all season for a reason - and as a Eagles fan I wanted to go up against the best the Pats had. Could he have made a difference ? Would he have broken up a few passes that Rowe could not? Who knows? But I think he should have played - yeah don't let him start the game and hold him out for the first quarter - but the entire game . . . ?
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

majpooper wrote:
kenetics wrote:I had season tickets to the Tampa Bay Bucs first season. Maybe went to half the games. Not very interested in pro football these days, but do support my school's team, USF, who play in the same stadium as the Bucs.
I did enjoy the Superbowl though. Glad the Eagles won as I was raised about 80 miles west of Philly.
Where did you grow up ? - guessing the Poconos maybe.
We are rivals in the AAC - I went to Temple (transfered from Penn State) - you guys trounced us last season.
I Was born in Lebanon, PA.

You guys won the AAC the previous season. We were favored to win it last season, but a change in coaches, along with a different offensive style and the rise of UCF, stopped us.

We're still upset over the whole Power 5/ Group of 5 thing. UCF declared themselves national champions and the governor agreed. The state might even issue a National Champion license tag for UCF!
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
Penn

Post by Penn »

majpooper wrote:
austin.texas wrote:That is only one of a list of dumb coaching mistakes in that game by "the greatest coach of all time".
Listening to the sports-talk radio today - the word on the street is that he definitely missed curfew and weed was involved. Poor judgment on his part and over reaction on the coaches part.
My team won and yes we didn't have our starting QB (Wentz) and our best OL (Peters) and our best LB (Hicks) and if we would have lost no one would want to have heard that. That said Butler was a starter all season for a reason - and as a Eagles fan I wanted to go up against the best the Pats had. Could he have made a difference ? Would he have broken up a few passes that Rowe could not? Who knows? But I think he should have played - yeah don't let him start the game and hold him out for the first quarter - but the entire game . . . ?
After asking I looked into it a bit. 2 different and both unverified reasons are being reported. One being what Maj Pooper just said which is believable since Belicheat, I mean Belichick is known for strict discipline. The other allegedly comes from inside the team management is Butler was sick enough to need an IV then during the week of practice he just couldn't keep up. Considering both Belichicks typically vague statement and Butler's own statement about them giving up on him, I am inclined to believe the illness report.

The initial reports I've heard that it was a matter of retaliation by Belichick for just simply resenting some of Butler's actions and comments doesn't seem valid which is why I asked. Oh well, we all know with the Patriots these answers will probably never get a full explanation.

Regardless, I agree, one player isn't an excuse for a loss.

Now yet to be answered is where is Foles going to be next year? I can't recall a time when a super bowl MVP opened the next season either with another team or as a backup on their current team.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Penn wrote:Now yet to be answered is where is Foles going to be next year? I can't recall a time when a super bowl MVP opened the next season either with another team or as a backup on their current team.
Foles will be with a different team, and they will have to pay BIG
dollar.jpeg
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Penn

Post by Penn »

kenetics wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:20 pm We're still upset over the whole Power 5/ Group of 5 thing. UCF declared themselves national champions and the governor agreed. The state might even issue a National Champion license tag for UCF!
I'm not familiar with that conference. From what you saw happen over the past few years do you think UCF was just the testing ground for the Big10 to see a new dominant team to replace the Buckeyes as Frost sets in on the conference. As a 'Husker fan I hope so.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Penn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:04 pm
kenetics wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:20 pm We're still upset over the whole Power 5/ Group of 5 thing. UCF declared themselves national champions and the governor agreed. The state might even issue a National Champion license tag for UCF!
I'm not familiar with that conference. From what you saw happen over the past few years do you think UCF was just the testing ground for the Big10 to see a new dominant team to replace the Buckeyes as Frost sets in on the conference. As a 'Husker fan I hope so.
More likely as additions (UCF along with USF) to the Big12. The Big12 has been considering adding a couple of teams on and off for several years now to bring their numbers up to 12 in football. I'm sure they would like to have a shot at the Florida market.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

austin.texas wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 am
Penn wrote:Now yet to be answered is where is Foles going to be next year? I can't recall a time when a super bowl MVP opened the next season either with another team or as a backup on their current team.
Foles will be with a different team, and they will have to pay BIG dollar.jpeg
Very interesting situation - Wentz is definitely the Eagles franchise QB for years to come. Foles is under contract for next year so unless the Eagles agree to a trade he is the back-up. How good is Foles really. . . . . . .? The Eagles have an elite OL. Any QB will look good when not pressured and have a smart agressive head coach a WR like Jefferies a TE like Ertz and a RB like Ajayi (why did Miami trade him? and how does a guy from London England become a great NFL RB?). I guess you could make the same argument about Wentz, although Wentz is bigger, faster, more mobile and can think on his feet better - he was allowed to change plays at the line by the end of his rookie season. Anyway the Eagle OL won SB LII in IMHO - it sure was not the D although granted they made only one stop and without that stop the Eagles probably lose the game.
Penn

Post by Penn »

kenetics wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:26 pm More likely as additions (UCF along with USF) to the Big12. The Big12 has been considering adding a couple of teams on and off for several years now to bring their numbers up to 12 in football. I'm sure they would like to have a shot at the Florida market.
What I was really trying to get at is, do you think Frost as the coach was the reason for the apparent sudden rise of UCF (if it even was a sudden rise) and do you think that will translate to a different (bigger name?) conference?

Big12? Isnt there a quite bit of a geographical gap between where they are now and the Florida peninsula?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

My friend in Philadelphia just told me that people started lining the streets at 3:00 AM for today's parade. :)

Joe
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Penn wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 am
kenetics wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:26 pm More likely as additions (UCF along with USF) to the Big12. The Big12 has been considering adding a couple of teams on and off for several years now to bring their numbers up to 12 in football. I'm sure they would like to have a shot at the Florida market.
What I was really trying to get at is, do you think Frost as the coach was the reason for the apparent sudden rise of UCF (if it even was a sudden rise) and do you think that will translate to a different (bigger name?) conference?

Big12? Isnt there a quite bit of a geographical gap between where they are now and the Florida peninsula?
Many conferences are a lot more scattered and Florida is not that far from Texas, which has 4 teams in the Big12. USF played West Virginia (Big12) regularly when we were both in the Big East.

Frost will do well at Nebraska (his alma mater). UCF was 0-12 the season before Frost took over and I think their success was mostly due to his coaching. I believe he took his entire staff with him to Nebraska.

Return to “Open Chat”