[SOLVED] Windows 7 will not boot after Mint install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Roab

[SOLVED] Windows 7 will not boot after Mint install

Post by Roab »

Hello everyone,

I am new to Mint and have fallen in love with it! However, I have an installation issue that I would like to get some information on. More so than just a solution, I really want to understand what is going on "under the hood" so to speak. Any and all information or links to documentation will be appreciated.

So, what's going on: I have a laptop with a fresh Windows 7 install. I then made a Mint live USB and booted from it, no issues there as I was able to hop back and forth between it and Win7. I then installed Mint onto my hard drive, and it boots fine. I was so taken by Mint I stayed using it for a few days, however today I attempted to boot Win7 from the linux boot menu, which automatically pops up, and was unable to do so. Specifically, grub *does* display Win7, however when I select it, it goes to black and reloads grub.

So now here's all the information I have gathered.
-I have run the boot info script, the results.txt file is here: https://pastebin.com/3WvAKPhn
-I can see my windows files all present in the Files folder (Users, System32, etc.) and can access them! I suppose it is because it is mounted? What exactly is going on here? Again, looking to learn as much as I can.
-I am still able to do all the regular boot options before grub loads, for example selecting the boot order and other misc. things. No problems there.
-I went ahead and put in the Win7 installation disks to try to recover the install, however it tells me Win7 is working fine and installed correctly. Can I assume Win7 is fine, I just cant access it?
-I know a little about MBRs, however not much about how Mint affects it when it installs itself. I used a Partition Recovery Disk I had laying around to look at my hard drive, and low and behold it allowed me to "repair" the MBR for the partition. This did nothing.
-Lastly, I do not see anything labelled "Linux Mint" in my partitions in the Disk section of Mint, which I will include a screenshot of. In fact, I see roughly 100Gb of unnallocated space that I thought I had designated for the Mint download. Did I make a mistake? Where exactly is Mint installed?

I apologize if this is a lot of information, however as I said before I am very happy with Mint and Linux in general and really want to understand what is going on. I already had all of my important data backed up and am in no rush to access it (yet), so I am always capable of wiping my hard drive completely and reinstalling Windows 7 and Mint again if I need to (hopefully this time the right way!). However, if the issue is just regarding grub finding exactly where the Win7 loader is, maybe I can resolve this without the need to do all those reinstalls. Also, I dont want to make the same mistake again.

Regards, and thank you for taking the time to read this!
-Roab
Screenshot from 2018-02-06 23-38-11.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Windows 7 will not boot after Mint install

Post by Pierre »

start with the obvious thing:
- boot back into LinuxMint and type into Terminal

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub.
it should update the Grub Boot Menu - - then re-boot & try win-7 again.
:)
does the Grub Menu display only one win-7 OR does it display two win-7's ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Roab

Post by Roab »

Hello Pierre,

I went ahead an updated grub, restarted, then tried to load Windows 7, however this did not fix the problem. I am able to select Win7, however it goes immediately to black and returns to grub.

There is only one Windows option available, specifically: Windows 7 (Loader) /dev/sda1

Thank you for the reply and I will try any other suggestions you can think of.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Grub2 (v1.99)
You have installed grub to the windows-partition, which makes Windows unbootable. The fix is to use Windows Recovery disk and run

bootrec /fixboot
https://neosmart.net/wiki/bootrec/
Roab

Post by Roab »

Thank you, I will try this and see if it works. Thank you for the explanation and link.
administrollaattori wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:37 pm
sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Grub2 (v1.99)
You have installed grub to the windows-partition, which makes Windows unbootable. The fix is to use Windows Recovery disk and run

bootrec /fixboot
https://neosmart.net/wiki/bootrec/
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Linux cuddled with windows and windows did not like linux so he left. :P
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=263424&p=1427458#p1427458
The solution presented by Elizine might work for you as well.
Roab

Post by Roab »

Yes! This solution worked for me as well! I see nothing was corrupted in the boot loader, it just wasnt able to finish grabbing the Windows loader. Problem solved, thank you everyone for your help and advice.
Marziano wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:45 pm Have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=263424&p=1427458#p1427458
The solution presented by Elizine might work for you as well.

Return to “Installation & Boot”