Forum has been upgraded (report issues here)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Forum has been upgraded (report issues here)

Post by xenopeek »

Earlier today we did a major forum upgrade. The most noticeable part for our users may be that the theme looks a bit different. We took our time to test our upgraded theme but possibly some things slipped under our radar.

If you spot any problems with the theme, or the forum functions in general, please report them here or contact me directly. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Forum has been upgraded (report issues here)

Post by WharfRat »

xenopeek,

I noticed the difference right away.

Were any new features introduced or is the upgrade mostly aesthetic :?:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Lots of bugfixes and improvements under the hood, but no big new features for users.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I had to turn off uBlock's font blocking to see the icons.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

if i delete my cookies and come back to https://forums.linuxmint.com/ i get this:

if i'm signed in things are ok. i'm using chrome
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Deleting cookies will delete your sign in information, so that's why you get that screen.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

this new rendition totally sucks wind....this is what i get when i first hit my bookmark for LM forum

download/file.php?mode=view&id=39603
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

trytip wrote:if i delete my cookies and come back to https://forums.linuxmint.com/ i get this:
if i'm signed in things are ok. i'm using chrome
DAMIEN1307 wrote:this new rendition totally sucks wind....this is what i get when i first hit my bookmark for LM forum
Those are caching issues on your end I think. Press Ctrl+F5 to reload the page and it should be fine from then on. That's what I had to do the first time I loaded the upgraded forum.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Flemur wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:23 pm I had to turn off uBlock's font blocking to see the icons.
That sounds right. Some of the icons are replaced by glyphs from the webfont "FontAwesome" (font is located on our server) in the new themes.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

The 2nd image I got during the upgrade of the forum. After that all worked fine. Btw, is it just me or are the icons beside the topic titles more red then before?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I will never never never turn off my ublock origin nor my privacy badger to enter any site, forum or whatever...DAMIEN
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i block all cookies and allow exceptions in chrome, so i had to first clear all history cookies in chrome then delete .cache/google-chrome and logoff no issues now.
Last edited by trytip on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Bolle1961 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:05 pm The 2nd image I got during the upgrade of the forum. After that all worked fine. Btw, is it just me or are the icons beside the topic titles more red then before?
Correct. I took a pile of screenshots of the old forum so I can readily compare it. This is because the icon (on the right in below screenshots) has been replaced by a glyph from FontAwesome. I could change the colour.

Before it was:

Now it is:
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Been playing with it for a few hours now and glad to report no errors with anything I have tried.

Thanks for the wonderful update. :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

sammiev wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:19 pm Been playing with it for a few hours now and glad to report no errors with anything I have tried.
Thanks for the feedback! :D
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:15 pm
Bolle1961 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:05 pm The 2nd image I got during the upgrade of the forum. After that all worked fine. Btw, is it just me or are the icons beside the topic titles more red then before?
Correct. I took a pile of screenshots of the old forum so I can readily compare it. This is because the icon (on the right in below screenshots) has been replaced by a glyph from FontAwesome. I could change the colour.

Before it was:

Now it is:
I don't think it's necessary to change the color, just noticed / mentioned it. In 2 or 3 days we're used to it ;)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:06 pm I will never never never turn off my ublock origin nor my privacy badger to enter any site, forum or whatever...DAMIEN
Not a problem. If you use uBlock Origin to block webfonts the Linux Mint forums will still work fine, though where the theme uses glyphs instead of icons you will see a place holder for missing glyph. Doesn't impact the working of the forum so if you want to block all webfonts, without exception, that's fine.

Here's how it looks with webfonts blocked (after refreshing your cache if needed):

uBlock Origin allows you to disable webfont blocking on a per-site basis, should anyone want to enable it for the forums. When visiting the Linux Mint forums, click on the uBlock Origin icon and from the panel click on the crossed out A icon to disable webfont blocking for the Linux Mint forums only.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Bolle1961 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:22 pmI don't think it's necessary to change the color, just noticed / mentioned it. In 2 or 3 days we're used to it ;)
That's probably true. Let's check back in after the weekend :wink:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

WharfRat wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 am Were any new features introduced or is the upgrade mostly aesthetic :?:
So one nice thing is if you quote a post it now includes the date that post was made and a link to jump back to the original post
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:40 pm
WharfRat wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 am Were any new features introduced or is the upgrade mostly aesthetic :?:
So one nice thing is if you quote a post it now includes the date that post was made and a link to jump back to the original post
Just had to test it :D

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”