Heroes of the Storm crash on Mint 18.3 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
achobanov

Heroes of the Storm crash on Mint 18.3 KDE

Post by achobanov »

Hello,

I am trying to get HoTS working on Linux. I have played it before, some time ago, but I am having real difficulties this time around. I have tried numerous suggestions and nothing seems to work so far.
What has changed since the last time I ran HoTS on Linux:
1) I am using Mint 18.3 KDE now, while I was using 17x Cinnamon before
2) My current laptop has Radeon vcard, 7500M series, instead of Nvidia GT 650M on my previous one.

Currently I have installed HoTS and when I run it from battle.net app I get a crash report and my resolution goes to 800x600px.

I am running battle.net like so:

Code: Select all

wine Battle.net.exe
When I do, I get this output on console:

[0204/013424.887:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(157)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
wine: Unhandled exception 0xc0000417 in thread 224 at address 0x523586 (thread 0224), starting debugger...
[0204/013436.615:ERROR:mf_audio_decoder.cc(698)] Unsupported codec by MfAudioDecoder: 12
Also I get a popup error
"This program has encountered a serious error and needs to close. This can be caused by problem in the program or deficiency in Wine"

Wine version reads like:

wine-2.21 (Staging)
I have tried disabling and enabling different libraries in winecfg (dbghelp, msvcp100, wininet) but none of these help.

Could anyone land a hand here?
Thanks,
Alex
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Heroes of the Storm crash on Mint 18.3 KDE

Post by Hoser Rob »

Looking at the results for that program on the Wine database doesn't give much encouragement:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=32232

The highest rating is Silver and anything rated less than Gold there is going to be pretty useless.

You could try the Wine forums but Wine isn't that reliable. If it's a matter of an older version working and the newer one not, try PlayOnLinux. That's just a GUI for Wine but it can juggle versions of WIne. But the bottom line is that you never have any guarantees WIne is going to work.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
achobanov

Post by achobanov »

Hi mate, thanks for your answer.

I know that wine is not super reliable, but I have played the game before, using it. While that's not a guarantee, it's enough to keep me trying. I tried PlayOnLinux once, it wasn't super successful. I'll give it another go.
desperados
Level 4
Level 4

Post by desperados »

i'm trying to run HotS with wine but have less than 30fps
someone has it running good?
thanks

Return to “Software & Applications”