torrent download lost [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

torrent download lost [SOLVED]

Post by chazb »

Running LM 17. So, I used torrent to download LM 18.3, and everything went well, and it went to the download file, and I thought all was well. So I go on to do something else facebook, etc. So after a while I come back to this forum to ask a question about verifying the torrent file, and i goto downloads to look at the file and it is not there. Where is it? I look in Home, File System, etc. no where to be found. So I look in the Transmission and there it is, so I right click the file and properties says, Location,,,,is downloads. So the question is,,,,, how do I get it out of the Transmission, and back into Downloads?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: torrent download lost

Post by phd21 »

Hi "chazb",

Most torrent software clients will give you an option on their screen if you right-click the torrent to open the folder or directory (container folder), then you can copy or move it from there to wherever you want. Are you sure the torrent completed its download? Did you check the trash as well?

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

I think I have figured out the problem; Transmission the Torrent client did what it was supposed to do, and the file LM18.3 did go to downloads, but it was still a Torrent file, as I was able to generate the Magnet Link. The solution is I think though not sure; once it is in the download folder I have to change it's URL to keep ii in downloads or move it to say a usb drive. In other words I have to do something with it once it is in downloads, or it will eventually migrate back to the Transmission Folder. Why it will do this , I have no clue. Does anybody else have some thoughts on this?

The Torrent did complete it's process.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi chazb,

I was just answering another post on torrent software clients and torrent files.

Are you using the superb Firejail sandboxing application with "Transmission" torrent software? If so, you may have to change its preference settings so that all default save folders are in your /Downloads folder, and save the .torrent file into that folder, then open or import the .torrent file for it to work using Firejail.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

I don't like Transmission and prefer Deluge which I find much easier. May I suggest you try it?
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

Transmission is not a bad Torrent Client, one just has to jump through a couple of hoops to understand how it does what it does and how to save the files it downloads. So I downloaded LM 18.3 for a second time using Transmission and before I did anything else I copied the ISO to a USB stick, and pulled the stick out of the machine. I still had transmission and the download folders still open. So I figured Transmission had done its job and I deleted the ISO out of the Transmission and the ISO file in Downloads disappeared, previously in this thread I simply closed the Transmission and the ISO file in downloads disappeared.

So the solution is; when you use Transmission to download a file, before you close Transmission, copy the file in Downloads to some place safe, like a USB drive, DVD, or a new file on you desktop.
One other thing, when I deleted it from the transmission the file went to the Trash Folder, It will not restore back to Transmission, but I did drag an drop it to a folder I created on the Desktop.

Return to “Beginner Questions”