Forum has been upgraded (report issues here)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Forum has been upgraded (report issues here)

Post by Pjotr »

Looking good. Thanks! :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

No issues here and I am running both uBlock and Privacy Badger on Waterfox
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

JOPETA found that if you use a list to indent a block of text (so without adding * items to the list), the forum will now display one bullet on the text. For example consider this list:

Code: Select all

[list]foo
bar
soap[/list]
It now shows like this (previously it wouldn't have that first bullet):
  • foo
    bar
    soap
I can't change that but I've played around a bit and have added a BBCode we can use instead. Use it like this:

[tab]text to indent with a tab[/tab]
So with above example you'd make it instead:

[tab]foo
bar
soap[/tab]
And now the text shows indented as before when using a list without * items:
foo
bar
soap
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Works and looks great here. No issues :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

General impression: The readability for my old eyes has been improved, so far a good move. On the other hand the red colored objects (on all places) appear too garishly, what looks not so nice. Might be a thing, where I have to get used to.

But one thing is the contrary to good visibility, I mean this:
xenopeek wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:40 pmSo one nice thing is if you quote a post it now includes the date that post was made and a link to jump back to the original post
This link "icon" (I can absolutely not identify it, what it shall show) is so tiny, that it took me a complete minute to find it at all. Perhaps to set this in bold could help for visibility. If xenopeek would not had mentioned it, it would most likely never noticed it in years.

P.S. If there is room for a wish: I have seen on forums using the same phpBB software, that the posts get numbered per thread. It would help to reference to a thread in between of the own text, if this could be made possible. So I could write to an user, who had missed an advice to reread post #x; at now I have to create a link to this, what of course is far more circumstantial.
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

I can see no problems with it at all. I can see an improvement in that the text is a lot clearer than it was. So well done on that - honestly I don't think most peeps will see anything wrong with as it seems a job well done
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I'm getting two icons partially blocking the "Search this topic" bar. (Flat icons . . . I hate flat icons.)

a.jpg
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

What is the difference between "List" and "Ordered List" (seem to work the same) and between "Code display" and "In-line code display" ? I would also like to know the maximum allowed "Insert image" size (I have seen some questions about this in the forum and didn't know where to find the answer). If there is somewhere this is all explained, I haven't found it.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I like the visual changes so far. How come font size changing is supported but there's no button for it?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

A code block looks like this:

This is the codeblock
with 2 lines
Inline code looks lie this: This is inline code

Only inline code can be used in between a running text, a code block needs always hie own vertical space. But code blocks can have multiple lines, good e. g. for a terminal output. Also it provides a function to mark the complete content of the block with a single click on "Select All"; afterwards it can be copied with ctrl-c.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:48 pm A code block looks like this:

This is the codeblock
with 2 lines
Inline code looks lie this: This is inline code

Only inline code can be used in between a running text, a code block needs always hie own vertical space. But code blocks can have multiple lines, good e. g. for a terminal output. Also it provides a function to mark the complete content of the block with a single click on "Select All"; afterwards it can be copied with ctrl-c.
Thanks. I don't think I've ever used the In-line code - just noticed it today when looking at the new symbols above the reply box.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Is the text size of the posts the same as before or is it a slightly smaller font?

Most probably because i've just woken up , maybe i'm imagining it?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:40 pm
WharfRat wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 am Were any new features introduced or is the upgrade mostly aesthetic :?:
So one nice thing is if you quote a post it now includes the date that post was made and a link to jump back to the original post
I see the post_id in the quote header but I don't see how to get back to the post that was quoted. Or does 'the orignal post' mean something else?

Testing 123
Last edited by catweazel on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

catweazel wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:04 am
I see the post_id in the quote header but I don't see how to get back to the post that was quoted.

Testing 123
Click the little up arrow next to wrote: ↑
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Portreve wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:41 pmHow come font size changing is supported but there's no button for it?
We haven't had buttons for since almost 2 years ago I think. You can use your web browser's controls for page zooming (Ctrl + to zoom in, Ctrl - to zoom out, Ctrl 0 [zero] to reset zoom, or hold down Ctrl and use your mouse' scrollwheel to zoom in/out).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

slipstick wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:32 pmWhat is the difference between "List" and "Ordered List" (seem to work the same)
Normal lists:

[list][*]item 1
[*]item 2[/list]
  • item 1
  • item 2
Ordered lists (a few examples):

[list=1][*]item 1
[*]item 2[/list]

[list=a][*]item 1
[*]item 2[/list]

[list=I][*]item 1
[*]item 2[/list]
  1. item 1
  2. item 2
  1. item 1
  2. item 2
  1. item 1
  2. item 2
slipstick wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:32 pmI would also like to know the maximum allowed "Insert image" size (I have seen some questions about this in the forum and didn't know where to find the answer).
640 x 480. For larger images use the rimg button, which resizes the image to those limits to keep topics readable. That last part is covered in the forum rules, section II, item [7] Use Images Sparingly. We'll look at improving the overview of posting functions as there are also a number of hidden BBCodes people can use (like above the tab one).
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

Thanks. I didn't realize I had to use the asterisk button before each item. And I think an overview or guide to the posting functions would be helpful.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:22 pm General impression: The readability for my old eyes has been improved, so far a good move. On the other hand the red colored objects (on all places) appear too garishly, what looks not so nice. Might be a thing, where I have to get used to.

But one thing is the contrary to good visibility, I mean this:
xenopeek wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:40 pmSo one nice thing is if you quote a post it now includes the date that post was made and a link to jump back to the original post
This link "icon" (I can absolutely not identify it, what it shall show) is so tiny, that it took me a complete minute to find it at all. Perhaps to set this in bold could help for visibility. If xenopeek would not had mentioned it, it would most likely never noticed it in years.
I've taken a look at it but this isn't easily styled to look better. Making it bold does little. It would be nicer if the timestamp was a link but I can't do that with the theme.
Cosmo. wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:22 pm P.S. If there is room for a wish: I have seen on forums using the same phpBB software, that the posts get numbered per thread. It would help to reference to a thread in between of the own text, if this could be made possible. So I could write to an user, who had missed an advice to reread post #x; at now I have to create a link to this, what of course is far more circumstantial.
Noted. There is a phpBB extension for that but to keep future maintenance burden down I'd rather not add many extensions. So probably not, but I've put it on the list for consideration.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Lucap wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:55 am Is the text size of the posts the same as before or is it a slightly smaller font?

Most probably because i've just woken up , maybe i'm imagining it?
Here is the same post on the old forum (top) and new forum (bottom). Looks like the same font size to me. The only edit I did was to remove (SOLVED) from the title on the new forum screenshot, as since the upgrade this topic found a solution :wink:
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Yeah it's the same so i was imagining it , thanks for posting the comparison. :)

We need a thumbs up smiley.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”