[Solved] Firefox 58.0.1 freezes at Daily Telegraph

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] Firefox 58.0.1 freezes at Daily Telegraph

Post by Terryphi »

Since upgrade to Firefox 58.0.1 (unless it is a coincidence) the Daily Telegraph site http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ uses rapidly increasing memory until it freezes the browser. This problem exists with Firefox (and Palemoon and Basilisk) but not Chromium which suggests it is a Mozilla issue. Can you please confirm so I know it is not my settings?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Firefox 58.0.1 freezes at Daily Telegraph

Post by Pjotr »

Just briefly tested it: memory usage rather high although stable. But extreme CPU usage. Something on that website isn't OK....

By the way: shocking lead article on that website. That unspeakable Soros bloke is bloody dangerous. I begin to understand why Hungary closed his "university". :shock:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

Pjotr,
Thank you for testing and confirming my experience. I still can't understand why Chromium can cope with it but Firefox can't. I have also tested Firefox 58.0.2 on Windows 7 and there is no noticeable problem.
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Just tried that site on this old low spec (Atom 270, 1GB ram) netbook using Xubuntu 16.04, and at first I didn't see any problem at all until I opened the page about Soros.

The opening webpage is pretty huge and seems to scroll down for ever, but even after looking for several minutes my top output was not really showing any problems, it was only when I opened a second tab with the Soros page that the CPU rocketed up to about 90% and now when I try opening the site again the CPU goes up immediately.

Definitely something strange about that site using firefox so I tried it using midori, the only other browser I have on this machine; problem is just as bad if not worse with the page display almost freezing immediately.
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

ajgreeny,
Thanks for testing. Now this is weird. I just tested and there is now no problem with memory usage or
CPU usage. I even replicated the actions you described. Maybe something has changed on the site.
Further testing required.
WiltshireJon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WiltshireJon »

Similar problems here with FF and the telegraph. That website on Chrome also makes my Galaxy Tab S slow to a crawl.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Re: [Solved] Firefox 58.0.1 freezes at Daily Telegraph

Post by ajgreeny »

Still a problem here for me on firefox; with this forum open alone my CPU runs at about 5 - 10% but as soon as I open a second tab at that Telegraph page it shoots up to 90 - 100%. When I close that tab it's all back to the 5 - 10%.
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

Sorry ajgreeny I marked this solved prematurely. As you still have the problem I have re-opened it. Hopefully others will join the conversation.
My problem has cleared up but I don't know why. I use Adblock Plus and it may have been caused by a filter which has subsequently been updated. Are you using any addons which may have an effect?
DanJ

Post by DanJ »

Return to “Software & Applications”