Forum has been upgraded (report issues here)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Forum has been upgraded (report issues here)

Post by Cosmo. »

I want to enhance the wishlist with another suggestion:

A function, which indicates the topic starter. To give you an impression here is a link to a (random) thread in the German Firefox forum. As you can see, behind the name of the topic starter appears in read "Themen-Starter" (English: topic starter); you can see the same note if you scroll to post #3. I came in thousand cases here, where it would have helped me to see with one glimpse (especially in a longer thread, probably going over more than 1 page), if a post is by the OP or by another user (possibly hijacking the thread).

If this can be implemented without questionable hacks it would be fine.

EDIT: Feel free to remove the previous incomplete post. I must have clicked at some time on the wrong place. Done (and strike.through practically used.
Last edited by Cosmo. on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I noticed a little glitch after the upgrade, if I reply by quoting another post:
Before the upgrade the cursor or the new text had been set immediately after the quote by pressing ctrl-end. Now the forum software inserts an additional and superfluous new line between the quote and the end-position, which costs after submitting some additional vertical space. So I have to press after ctrl-end at first the backspace key before I start writing.

One note more: A button for strike-through would be useful.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

here's how it used to look
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

In the space you indicate ads are shown (on every page, underneath the header bar):

While the forum has run without ads for a while they have been added back after the forum upgrade. Linux Mint is funded by donations and ads on the website.

I've noticed here they are a bit slow to load at times. That may be the reason it was blank for you. I'll keep an eye on that and report back to Clem.

If you use some kind of ad blocker it may hide the ads from you but not hide the element in which they are shown. That would also cause what you saw.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Looks good to me. Lots of great people on here. A FYI for old eyes and font sizes for any who may not know, If you hold the control key and move the mouse wheel up or down it resizes everything.
Thanks!
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:08 amA function, which indicates the topic starter. [...]

If this can be implemented without questionable hacks it would be fine.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't see any extensions (https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extensions-36) that would implement that. So falls in the questionable hacks territory unless I missed something.
Cosmo. wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:53 am I noticed a little glitch after the upgrade, if I reply by quoting another post:
Before the upgrade the cursor or the new text had been set immediately after the quote by pressing ctrl-end. Now the forum software inserts an additional and superfluous new line between the quote and the end-position [...]

One note more: A button for strike-through would be useful.
Indeed. It doesn't do that if you first click post reply and then use the quote button on another post. This must be a change in phpBB. Like with the bullet on an empty list change, I'm unclear whether this would be a feature or a bug. Added to the list of things to check into.

As for a button for strike-through, I've not added that. I'm working on BBCodes and will get back here with a new topic once I have some more in place and we can look at what makes sense as additional buttons.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Schultz wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:09 pmI'm getting two icons partially blocking the "Search this topic" bar. (Flat icons . . . I hate flat icons.)
The icons are inherited from phpBB's prosilver. Sorry but we're keeping them.

The search bar is indeed looking strange. Here is how it looks for me:

During testing I noticed some oddities with the search bar: if you zoom the page in/out enough the search bar will not grown or shrink in height the same amount as surrounding buttons. I have yet to find a solution for that. As to why it shows so small for you—do you perhaps have a high resolution screen with tiny pixels? Perhaps something odd happens with that.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

This all looks good here. I would like to see more distinction between the icons for 'Report this post'
and 'Reply with quotes' though

Disregard--my script blocker was inhibiting the new fonts--
Last edited by all41 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
DwightD
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DwightD »

I like it!! Good work!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hi xenopeek,
seems like a glitch has popped up, yesterday after the upgrade, everything seemed fine today I have no Avitar and the upload link is gone int the profile.
Was something changed in the way avitars are handled?
thanks.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

kc1di wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:33 pm Hi xenopeek,
seems like a glitch has popped up, yesterday after the upgrade, everything seemed fine today I have no Avitar and the upload link is gone int the profile.
Was something changed in the way avitars are handled?
thanks.
I see your avatar here. And no, nothing was changed as to how avatars are handled. We didn't have an upload function before. Members can upload their avatar to an image hoster (like imgur.com) and then use the link to the image here.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I found the problem My hosting server was down changed servers. Sorry for the confusion Thanks for the fast reply.
Dave
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:21 pm
Schultz wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:09 pmI'm getting two icons partially blocking the "Search this topic" bar. (Flat icons . . . I hate flat icons.)
The icons are inherited from phpBB's prosilver. Sorry but we're keeping them.

The search bar is indeed looking strange. Here is how it looks for me:
and here is how it looks on my browser (PaleMoon)
Searchbar.png
Apart from that, I like the changes.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

tenfoot, I think you're looking a the bottom of the page? That is as it is supposed to look. The search bar is only shown to the right of the post reply button at the top of the page.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Regarding Topic-Starter:
I tried to find out in the FF forum, how this had been achieved. Not surprisingly I di not find a clear answer, but between some lines this does indeed seem to be a hack.

Regarding Post numbers:
xenopeek, did you see this extension?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:14 pmRegarding Post numbers:
xenopeek, did you see this extension?
I did.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

xenopeek wrote:
During testing I noticed some oddities with the search bar: if you zoom the page in/out enough the search bar will not grown or shrink in height the same amount as surrounding buttons. I have yet to find a solution for that. As to why it shows so small for you—do you perhaps have a high resolution screen with tiny pixels? Perhaps something odd happens with that.
Yes, I zoom the forum pages ("zoom text only"). Resetting it fixes the problem, but the text is too small for me like that. Is the fault on my end, or the new forum layout?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It's an issue with the new forum theme when zooming pages. The issue is also present in the official (prosilver) theme that comes with the forum software and our theme is based on that one. It's on my list of aftercare.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Any way to turn off or block the ads that are now appearing? Using Google Chrome.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-102 Cinn 6.0.4
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Been lucky enough that I have not seen an ad yet.

Not sure which addon is doing all the good work or if it's the modified hosts file. :D

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”