CD ripping speed

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

CD ripping speed

Post by tpprynn »

Not a complaint at all, and I'm myself not time-poor. But why is ripping a CD with Linux much slower than with Windows Media Player, does anyone here know? Is it anything to do with the historically proprietary nature of mp3 and the role of reverse-engineering, in which case mightn't the software be overhauled now that apparently the mp3 patent is expired? I use Asunder, and have used RipperX, which both seem to take maybe five times as long to do the task, compared to Windows Media PLayer.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cogsncogs
Level 1
Level 1

Re: CD ripping speed

Post by cogsncogs »

IIRC it could be that Windows Media Player rips in burst mode (don't know for sure, as I've never used it), with no software error correction being performed, relying on the error correction of the drive itself (C2 error correction, if supported). Asunder uses Cdparanoia in ripping compared to burst mode, which reads data from the disc in one pass at the maximum speed of the drive. Cdparanoia re-reads sectors on the disc and compares the reads to look for mismatches. If there are errors, it will re-read in smaller increments (passes) until a match is found or it gives up and moves on.

This has nothing to do with the mp3 format itself, as all rippers write to a temporary wav file and then encode the temp file to whatever format you've chosen, be it mp3, ogg, flac, m4a ...etc.
cogsncogs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cogsncogs »

Different encoders will encode at different speeds depending on the format chosen and on the parameters passed on to the encoder. My first reply pertains to ripping speed, the time it takes to "rip" data from the CD, not the encoding time which is a different process.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

Not sure why the difference in speed, but remember that when it comes to CDs/DVDs, it's usually the case that the slower the rip, the more accurate the rip. That's why most people recommend ripping at the lowest speed possible. If you use a program called EAC on Windows which is the most popular, you'll find that ripping CDs takes an age. But the results are among the best.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

when burning a CD with Brasero, it typically takes about several minutes per CD disk,
& I'm able to create four new CDs in around 30min
- it's been years since I've last Nero on win-xp, and now can't compare the times, anymore.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Software & Applications”