Firefox starting from the beginning.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bachcole
Level 4
Level 4

Firefox starting from the beginning.

Post by bachcole »

I want to install the latest FireFox. I get messages now and then saying that I am way out of date. What should I do? Assume that I am the stupidest person to every ask a stupid question on this forum.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Firefox starting from the beginning.

Post by jimallyn »

I assume you have the Update Manager on your system? Install whatever version of Firefox it offers.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I put the Panel Applet for Update Manager on my PC...

makes it easy to just " one click " and immediately see what is available.

Firefox is usually available for Mint 18.3 Cinnamon within a day or two of them releasing it for Windows.

My version is 58.0.1 at the moment which seems to be the latest version looking at this screenshot.

Update Manager.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
bachcole
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bachcole »

In the "Menu" menu, I see "Package Manager" and "Software Manager", but no "Update Manager". In the lower right corner, there is an icon that says "Your system is up to date". It used to ask me to click on it so as to update my system, but it hasn't said that in a very long time. My system is "Linus Mint 17.3 Rosa".
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:51 pmMy version is 58.0.1 at the moment which seems to be the latest version looking at this screenshot.
Hm. As a matter of fact, all which your screenshot illustrates is that Update Manager does not offer any Firefox update at the moment. No more, no less. :wink:
By the way, on my Ubuntu 14.04.5 (which translates to Mint 17.x) Firefox is on version 58.0.2, received from the official Ubuntu repos.
Mint users, however, do not have to despair. The Mint repos offer 58.0.2 as well. :D
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

This all sounds, as if there is anything wrong n your system.

Click this icon, it opens the update manager. In the toolbar of the update manager click to refresh. What happens?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, bachcole.
Would you mind telling us which verison of Firefox you are using on your Mint 17.3, please?
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
bachcole
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bachcole »

54.0 (64-bit)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:51 pm I put the Panel Applet for Update Manager on my PC...

makes it easy to just " one click " and immediately see what is available.
I'm not sure how and why you did that... it's there by default.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Click on Menu, then in search box type update and you will see a place to clk on to open it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
bachcole
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bachcole »

Spearmint2, I got the Update Manager now. It says "Your system is up to date."
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

bachcole wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:42 pm Spearmint2, I got the Update Manager now. It says "Your system is up to date."
Well, it isn't. Try this.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

bachcole wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:42 pm I got the Update Manager now. It says "Your system is up to date."
Before or after clicking the refresh icon in the update manager?
bachcole
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bachcole »

After I click the update icon as many times as I wish.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Please provide a screenshot of the update manager preferences -> levels and preferences -> ignored updates.
bachcole
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bachcole »

I don't know how to do a screenshot, and when I go to "update manager preferences -> levels and preferences -> ignored updates." it is blank.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

bachcole wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:00 pm After I click the update icon as many times as I wish.
You need to click Upgrade icon too. :wink:

PS. It would good to know your update sources.

Code: Select all

inxi -Sr
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

This is an interesting thread
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

The pressing 'out-of-date' message that TS urges to look for an update has all the style of a virus or hack but is in fact caused by 'aushelper'. Aushelper is a so-called 'feature' of Firefox to force updates on you.
Be warned that if you update from FF54 to the current Quantum version of Firefox you probably loose most if not all of your add-ons and browser customizations.

The features basically are a set of nags to spy on your behaviour, sell you to pocket and as said push updates on you. The features are located in /usr/lib/firefox/browser/features
Simply removing the unwanted feature will do and does not affect the browser.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

bachcole wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:11 am I don't know how to do a screenshot
Open the preferences and press alt-print.

Return to “Beginner Questions”