installing kde desktop environment

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
avinator
Level 1
Level 1

installing kde desktop environment

Post by avinator »

I am looking to install the kde desktop environment in 18.3 without success.
tried
"sudo apt-get install kde-full"

and I am getting

"E: Unable to locate package kde-full"

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: installing kde desktop enviorment

Post by catweazel »

avinator wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:31 am "E: Unable to locate package kde-full"
Unless you're using xfce, you're in for trouble by creating a frankendesktop. Why not just install 18.3 KDE?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Seconding Catweazel here... installing a second desktop environment on top of an existing Mint installation is not recommended unless you know exactly what you're doing. And if you did, you would not pick KDE, because it's known not to play well with others. Word to the wise: avoid.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Where did you read such an advice? Such a package does not exist in the official repositories. Above that: I second the 2 previous posters.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

It is not a good Idea as the others have posted, download the 18.3 kde live image and try it out first see if it's to your liking before you install.
But be aware that the KDE version will be dropped in the upcoming 19.x version of Mint. See the October blog here:
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?s=October+n ... mit=Search
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

kde-full
...is a debian meta-package to help someone build an OS and it works in LMDE-Betsy. For Ubuntu-based Mints it used to be meta-package...
mint-meta-kde
...to do a similar job.

In these modern times you can do a timeshift backup first...
https://itsfoss.com/backup-restore-linux-timeshift/
...worth a look just for the Darth Pingu picture...

Even without timeshift the KDE and XFCE packages are relatively easy to remove. They are systematically named...
sudo apt-get purge ^kde ### remove packages with names that start 'kde'
avinator
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avinator »

Thanks for the advice.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

I was very disappointed when I learned that Mint will no longer provide a KDE distro. So, I've been trying to evaluate some of the other DE's.
1. Installed Mint18.3/Cinnamon - worked with it for a couple of weeks; too much I don't like (especially the window-scrolling feature/problem)
2. Installed Mint18.3/Xfce - still trying it out. The scrolling seems to work the way I need, but for me the big problem so far is that Thunar (file manager) does not have support for split/dual screen. I tried running Dolphin under Cinnamon and that did not work very well so I assume it would also not work well under Xfce (or any DE except KDE).

Since most of the "Linux" I actually see is the DE - and I happen to very much like KDE - I am now evaluating Kubuntu (Mint's daddy, Ubuntu, with KDE).
If Kubuntu meets my needs then by the time the Mint team drops their KDE distro I won't be affected.

There's many ways to "skin the cat".
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

I too am a big KDE fan and was disappointed to hear the news about Mint and KDE. However, there has been a mention or two in this forum about a tutorial on how to load KDE into XFCE when the time comes. We still have time if you can wait. If you can not wait and want to try something, a dual boot might be in order to protect your every day system.

On this system KDE into XFCE has a spot reserved away from the main system in case I screw something up (again... :roll: )
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

I have had miserable luck with multiple desktops in the same system.
installing kde-full might work, but maybe not...
there a lot of Debian based distros with KDE as their flagship product... as well as the Debian KDE distro.
There are many variations between them... a couple are really easy and simple to install, some are more difficult.
I am not a KDE fan, but when the hubbub about Mint dropping it started I decided to see what there is.
I suggest you try a few (install alongside what you have now) and "if you like it you can keep it"
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

avinator wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:31 am I am looking to install the kde desktop environment in 18.3 without success.
tried
"sudo apt-get install kde-full"

and I am getting

"E: Unable to locate package kde-full"

thanks
Don't do this in the way you have mentioned, if you want KDE install it fresh. Download the .iso here:
https://linuxmint.com/download.php
go through the verification procedures listed there.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Need access to the Debian Stretch repos.
kde-full is there.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Jim Hauser wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:59 amthere has been a mention or two in this forum about a tutorial on how to load KDE into XFCE when the time comes.
And somebody could figure out a way to use an atomic bomb to light a firecracker.
I believe both are like installing patches to fix bad patches... it's not the right way to go, and at some point it's just going to quit working.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"

Animal House
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: installing kde desktop environment

Post by kc1di »

If you want the latest and greatest kde desktop down load and try kdeneon it's based on ubuntu lts just like mint is quite stable but offers the latest updates of KDE devlopers quite fast.
Now back to my lovely mint Cinnamon ;)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

tovian wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:05 am
Jim Hauser wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:59 amthere has been a mention or two in this forum about a tutorial on how to load KDE into XFCE when the time comes.
And somebody could figure out a way to use an atomic bomb to light a firecracker.
I believe both are like installing patches to fix bad patches... it's not the right way to go, and at some point it's just going to quit working.
Perhaps I was not clear... I have no intention of mixing two distros. In an earlier thread it was stated that a tutorial will be in the works for installing KDE on top of XFCE and then removing XFCE thus leaving a KDE system. When the time comes I will try this on a separate system from my daily setup. If it works I will be very happy. If it does not work I will consider something besides Mint as I love KDE features...

All of that is down the road a ways. In the meantime, enjoy today and what we have now. :-)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

tovian wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:05 am ...it's not the right way to go, and at some point it's just going to quit working.
The mint devs disgree with you.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I think the problem you may run into in that tutorial is that the KDE desktop will no longer be developed and modified by Mint Devs.
Which means the integration with mint will most likely be lacking somewhat. It's not that it won't work. But you at that point would be better off with a KDE centric distro that is actively developed. Also as the user base in Mint moves away from KDE there will be less ops on the forums able to deal with specific KDE questions, Thus those that go that route will be less likely to find help in time of need. Just My Opinion though :)
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

kc1di wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:31 amI think the problem you may run into in that tutorial is that the KDE desktop will no longer be developed and modified by Mint Devs. Which means the integration with mint will most likely be lacking somewhat. It's not that it won't work. But you at that point would be better off with a KDE centric distro that is actively developed. Also as the user base in Mint moves away from KDE there will be less ops on the forums able to deal with specific KDE questions, Thus those that go that route will be less likely to find help in time of need.
THIS is precisely the problem - NOT the mechanics of "how to do it". The first time you try creating your own Mint+KDE things will probably work fairly well. A year later? And, a year after that? If these two entities are going to diverge, rather than converge, somewhere down the road you will be looking at a mess. And, as stated by kc1di, there will be fewer and fewer resources to help you overcome problems.

Ultimately, perhaps several years away, a feature or method will be added to either Mint or KDE (or both) that is so incompatible with the other that you will end up being forced to find another DE - or start compiling your own "Mint".

Animal House
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

tovian wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:01 pm
kc1di wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:31 amI think the problem you may run into in that tutorial is that the KDE desktop will no longer be developed and modified by Mint Devs. Which means the integration with mint will most likely be lacking somewhat. It's not that it won't work. But you at that point would be better off with a KDE centric distro that is actively developed. Also as the user base in Mint moves away from KDE there will be less ops on the forums able to deal with specific KDE questions, Thus those that go that route will be less likely to find help in time of need.
THIS is precisely the problem - NOT the mechanics of "how to do it". The first time you try creating your own Mint+KDE things will probably work fairly well. A year later? And, a year after that? If these two entities are going to diverge, rather than converge, somewhere down the road you will be looking at a mess. And, as stated by kc1di, there will be fewer and fewer resources to help you overcome problems.

Ultimately, perhaps several years away, a feature or method will be added to either Mint or KDE (or both) that is so incompatible with the other that you will end up being forced to find another DE - or start compiling your own "Mint".
And who will win the Superbowl next year?

None of us can really predict the future, we can only play the odds.

I am not trying to predict what will happen with any tutorial but I am preparing for the worst case that you mentioned. Already triple booting with other KDE distros and testing the waters a bit. Who knows? There could be a change in policy before any of this comes about....
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

@avinator...Back to the OP's original question/problem:

I believe that if you really want KDE (as I do) then, sadly (and I couldn't mean that more), you need to start looking at and sampling other distro's. If you have to have Mint and KDE you need to get the current KDE distro because it will likely be the last (unless there's an 18.4, etc.). I don't know if xenopeek has finished with the script(s) he said he was working on to install KDE using the Xfce distro, but he is maybe the best one to ask how to do what you were trying to accomplish when you started this thread (eventually, his script(s) will automate all/most of the steps needed).

Others may say that a Mint-KDE self-engineered "hybrid" will work, but when the project owners decide to drop that DE from their offerings then, essentially, all of us who use KDE are hung out to dry. As noted by Jim Hauser the odds are great that somewhere down the road it will simply be beyond the ability of most folks like me to continue with Mint and KDE. If that's inevitable then I'm going to get started now.

Animal House

Return to “Beginner Questions”