How do you install programs onto VirtualBox? What's the easiest way?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintyfreshuser

How do you install programs onto VirtualBox? What's the easiest way?

Post by mintyfreshuser »

Hi.

Does anyone know how to install programs onto VirtualBox? I'm running VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 5.1.32 r120294 (Qt5.5.1) by Oracle.

I have a virtualized version of Windows 10 installed and it works, but I don't yet know how to install programs onto it. I want to install those programs that have trouble working on Linux. The Wine program doesn't always work for me for some reason.

The distro of Linux Mint that I'm using is Linux 18.3 Sylvia and the desktop environment is Cinnamon 3.6.6 if that helps.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How do you install programs onto VirtualBox? What's the easiest way?

Post by deepakdeshp »

The programs are installed just as you would on a physical machine.
Fire up the VM and follow the same instructions for it
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Your Virtual Machine (VM) is isolated from the rest of your host system (apart from maybe the clipboard), so double-clicking on an installer will just run Wine.

Your VM might be setup to access your DVD drive and/or USB drives directly, but I think most people would create a shared folder in your $Home - say "WinShare", and copy any installers to there, and then access them from the VM.

You could of course, just enable Internet access in your VM, and download and install directly as usual. Personally, I never allow any of my Widows VMs to access the Internet... unless it was for testing and I'd just revert to a saved state afterwards.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The first question is, frm whch source you want to install. The sentence regarding wine lets me assume, that you have the program's installation file already. In this case you need to create a Shared folder for the VM. Note, that you need to install at first the guest additions at first inside of the running VM.
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:54 pm The first question is, frm whch source you want to install. The sentence regarding wine lets me assume, that you have the program's installation file already. In this case you need to create a Shared folder for the VM. Note, that you need to install at first the guest additions at first inside of the running VM.
I guess I would like to install things from either my Downloads folder on Linux Mint or from an external drive such as a USB stick or an SD card.

I created a Shared folder for the VM and I called it "WinShare" within the "Home" folder. I've been looking for it from within the Windows 10 VirtualBox, but it doesn't show up. I have an SD card plugged into my computer which shows up as a drive on Linux Mint, but I don't seem to be able to find that drive within my Windows 10 VirtualBox. I don't know why my SD card wouldn't show up.
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

chrisuk wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:46 pm Your VM might be setup to access your DVD drive and/or USB drives directly, but I think most people would create a shared folder in your $Home - say "WinShare", and copy any installers to there, and then access them from the VM.
The VM doesn't seem to be set up to access the DVD drive and/or USB drives directly. I have an SD card plugged into my computer which shows up within Linux Mint, but not within VirtualBox.

I did create a shared folder in "Home" folder of Linux Mint, named it "WinShare", and then put an installation folder within it, but this "WinShare" folder doesn't seem to show up within my Windows 10 VirtualBox when I run it.
chrisuk wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:46 pm You could of course, just enable Internet access in your VM, and download and install directly as usual.
I will see if downloading something within VirtualBox and then installing it within VirtualBox works.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

mintyfreshuser wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:06 pm I created a Shared folder for the VM and I called it "WinShare" within the "Home" folder. I've been looking for it from within the Windows 10 VirtualBox, but it doesn't show up.
From inside of the running W10 guest open from the VB devices menu (at the top) shared folders and open the dialogue for it. What does it show?
Other question is: Do you have the guest additions installed in the W10 guest? Press in the running guest host-n. In the upper part you can see, if and which are installed.
mintyfreshuser wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:06 pmI have an SD card plugged into my computer which shows up as a drive on Linux Mint, but I don't seem to be able to find that drive within my Windows 10 VirtualBox. I don't know why my SD card wouldn't show up.
At best you leave this. The problem is, that a drive can only be associated with the host or with a guest, never with both of them at the same time. The next problem is, that by associating an external drive this will get "hot" disconnected from the host without properly dismounting it at first; a principle problem, how VB handles this. Doing this would sooner or later result in data loss. (Out of this reason I do not give an advice how to do this mistake.)

You should instead use the shared folder as a intermediate storage place. Copy the files from the external drive into the shared folder respectively the other way round.

Return to “Virtual Machines”