[SOLVED] Thunar won't make symlinks of folders with spaces in name

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Thunar won't make symlinks of folders with spaces in name

Post by linux-dummie »

I though I'd post this strange little glitch for anyone who might be new to Linux and struggling with this.
Using 18.2 32-bit, xfce, in thunar file manager /home I tried to make symlinks of a few folders that have two-word names with a space between words, but it would not create them. So I renamed the folders with dashes in place of spaces, and then it created the links okay. Also, folders with an apostrophe in the name wouldn't make a symlink. I didn't bother taking the time to try to make the links from terminal so don't know if it works that way. I do know Linux enough to know that it never really liked spaces in names, but in these days and esp. with Mint, I'm surprised that such a little niggle like this in the user desktop environment would actually still be around. Not a big deal, though. Just thought I'd point it out.
(PS - worked okay in MX-16, thunar 1.6.10)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: [SOLVED ENOUGH] Thunar won't make symlinks of folders with spaces in name

Post by catweazel »

linux-dummie wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:05 am but in these days and esp. with Mint, I'm surprised that such a little niggle like this in the user desktop environment would actually still be around.
Xfce, and consequently thunar, are not maintained by the Mint team.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Try editing the Thunar Create simlink custom action command Edit->Configure custom actions... replace the existing command with this ln -s %f "%n (symlink)"
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

linux-dummie wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:05 amUsing 18.2 32-bit, xfce, in thunar file manager /home I tried to make symlinks of a few folders that have two-word names with a space between words, but it would not create them. ... Also, folders with an apostrophe in the name wouldn't make a symlink. (PS - worked okay in MX-16, thunar 1.6.10)
Both those functions worked OK with 64 bit Mint 18.3 and thunar 1.6.11
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

chrisuk wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:47 am Try editing the Thunar Create simlink custom action command Edit->Configure custom actions... replace the existing command with this ln -s %f "%n (symlink)"
OK. That worked for me. Thanks, Chris! Why isn't it set up that way to begin with?

Return to “Software & Applications”